Hello pit,
Sorry if this is in the wrong forum but couldn't see where else it would go...

So I have just purchased an Imac and am going to be buying Logic Pro 9 with it. Here's my problem:

I am currently using Reaper on a PC which has about an album's worth of Drum tracks. I wish to move these tracks in the easiest way possible to Logic.

Any advice?

One method which I think might work (common sense speaking due to NO knowledge of computing or Macs...) would be to download Reaper on to the Mac and then open the old projects in the Mac. But can a project saved on a Windows version of Reaper then be opened in a Mac?

Thanks!
Export the audio tracks in Reaper as .wav or .aiff, which are standard uncompressed audio formats that any DAW will recognize. Import into Logic. Make sure that the project audio parameters match up (same bit depth and bitrate, ie 48KHz 24-bit).

If Reaper is available for Mac, then it will be able to open up a Reaper project. Project files are almost always cross-platform.

For example, if I create a Word (.doc) document in Windows using MS Office Word, I can open up that document in Mac using MS Mac Office Word or Apple iWorks Pages.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Mar 3, 2012,
Get Pro Tools, not Logic. You'll thank me for it.
Neo Evil11
Quote by jambi_mantra
They let black people on Fox now?

They also let white people into the KFC and the NBA now.
Quote by Niiko
Get Pro Tools, not Logic. You'll thank me for it.

True. Logic is pretty awful for anything other than electronic music. It's especially bad at audio editing.

If you're working with audio the majority of the time, you need Pro Tools 10.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
What is Mac? Is that some new name for Ubuntu?
i don't know why i feel so dry
Just export each drum track to .wav and copy them over to the imac. Import the .wav file into Logic when you need it.
It's the easiest way to go.

Quote by Eastwinn
What is Mac? Is that some new name for Ubuntu?

Actually it's FreeBSD bastardized with a Mach kernel and the most ass backwards proprietary desktop environment... but I digress.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
Last edited by justinb904 at Mar 3, 2012,
The best advice: Don't do it if you like having a completely tweakable OS.

SublEDIT: Dammit, just read OP. You're a disgrace.
UG's King Neptune

Quote by AtaBorMan
You're the biggest dick we've had in the Pit for a while.
Quote by SLEESTAK_BRO
Stop talking, you have are the biggest dick the pit has seen in a while.
Quote by StillSublime
The best advice: Don't do it if you like having a completely tweakable OS.

Why do people always assume that everyone wants to tweak their OS?

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
True. Logic is pretty awful for anything other than electronic music. It's especially bad at audio editing.

I disagree with this completely.
If you can get Reaper for OS X then do that. At least that way your tracks can still be chopped around easily. If you export it'll just give you grief later.

Try googling the whole thing. Reaper ---> Pro Tools / Logic. there might be a way to convert or transfer. unfortunately I'm not particularly knowledgeable on either package.

Good luck!

cw
Quote by AdamG313
I disagree with this completely.

Well, if you're proficient enough with it, you can do what you need to do effectively, but this is true of all DAWs. But if we're taking into account that it's someone who is just plain not familiar with music tech, Pro Tools is way easier to edit audio with. Not to mention it has true stereo panning and a much more straightforward way of signal routing.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
I said if, so..
UG's King Neptune

Quote by AtaBorMan
You're the biggest dick we've had in the Pit for a while.
Quote by SLEESTAK_BRO
Stop talking, you have are the biggest dick the pit has seen in a while.
Quote by Xiaoxi

Because the majority of people want an OS thats capable of being tweaked.

why wouldn't you want to tweak your OS to best suit your needs?
Quote by rickyj
Because the majority of people want an OS thats capable of being tweaked.

why wouldn't you want to tweak your OS to best suit your needs?

You can do that on OS X, believe it or not. Just not to the point where you're spending all of your time making an elaborate rainmeter scheme. Guess what? Not everyone cares about or needs that.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by Xiaoxi
Not everyone cares about or needs that.

No, it's apparent that more than 90% do, considering that approx. 9.9% of web users use macs AND theres a ton of people running both windows and OS X on their macs.
Quote by rickyj
No, it's apparent that more than 90% do, considering that approx. 9.9% of web users use macs AND theres a ton of people running both windows and OS X on their macs.

So you're suggesting that 100% of all Windows users use Windows because they want tweak-ability? lol ok, I can finally drop all attempts to take you seriously.

While it's true that many Mac users are technologically clueless, Window users are technologically clueless on top of being delusional about how tech savvy they really are.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by rickyj

That's more because Apple absolutely sucked in the 90s, which was both A. When the modern electronics business was getting established, and B. A ten-year span, which is huge in an industry that's only been hugely viable since the mid 80s.

The result was that, since Apple sucked when the consumer tech industry was being established, and after an unsuccessful lawsuit of Microsoft hurt their PR, nobody wanted to buy for them, so a bunch of Apple-exclusive software developers folded.

It has nothing to do with the modern products, it's because Apple was awful when the industry started taking off - they would've died around 2001-2002 if the Macintosh wasn't a technology icon that endured for fans, and the iPod wasn't a titanic hit that it saved them from bankruptcy - certain programs are only available for Windows as a result, and a lot of people are dedicated to Windows as a result.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
^precisely.

Case in point: Apple had the first successful mp3 player. I wonder why more people aren't buying Zunes for their awesome tweak-ability...

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Quote by sam b

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by hawk_kst
One method which I think might work (common sense speaking due to NO knowledge of computing or Macs...) would be to download Reaper on to the Mac and then open the old projects in the Mac. But can a project saved on a Windows version of Reaper then be opened in a Mac?

Yes.
First page and it's already a Mac vs. PC thread...
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
I've only used Logic a few times and I really didn't like it.

I'd use Garage Band before I'd use logic. I also use Studio One and I like it a lot.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Export the audio tracks in Reaper as .wav or .aiff, which are standard uncompressed audio formats that any DAW will recognize. Import into Logic. Make sure that the project audio parameters match up (same bit depth and bitrate, ie 48KHz 24-bit).

If Reaper is available for Mac, then it will be able to open up a Reaper project. Project files are almost always cross-platform.

For example, if I create a Word (.doc) document in Windows using MS Office Word, I can open up that document in Mac using MS Mac Office Word or Apple iWorks Pages.

Hah thanks for being the only to give me a proper detailed answer =P
I believe that Reaper is available for Mac so I'll just do that!

I just didn't want to have to sit around and Render 80 individual Wav files just to open them in Logic and sort through them...
Since it's come up since my first post and it saves me making another thread. Any reason why I should be looking at Pro Tools over Logic? I've never used either but Logic is the cheaper by far due to it being available as a standalone from the App store... I'd rather not fork out £400 after spending quite a lot of my money on a Mac.

I'll still use Reaper occasional most probably since I love that DAW.
Quote by hawk_kst
Since it's come up since my first post and it saves me making another thread. Any reason why I should be looking at Pro Tools over Logic? I've never used either but Logic is the cheaper by far due to it being available as a standalone from the App store... I'd rather not fork out £400 after spending quite a lot of my money on a Mac.

I'll still use Reaper occasional most probably since I love that DAW.

Different people like different things. i do like pro tools, But it's handy to have logic aswell. Logic tracks midi alot better, so if you're recording with electronic drums and the like it's better.
Quote by ZanasCross
I'm now so drunk that even if my mom had given me a blow job at aeg 2, i'd be like I'm a pmp, butches.!

If this even madkes sense... if yhou sig this, Iw ll kill you.
Quote by cliff_em_all
Different people like different things. i do like pro tools, But it's handy to have logic aswell. Logic tracks midi alot better, so if you're recording with electronic drums and the like it's better.

I'll be doing quite a bit of both tbh, I will be tracking full bands as well as doing some electronic stuff too...