Yallos to all

K I've been working on this song but I cant seem to get the lead guitar to stand out in the mix

Im using VST's and my DAW is Reaper. list goes as such

Amplitube 3 (just for the noise gate)
TSE808
Lepoulin XTaC
LeCab
Low Shelved ReaEQ
Reacomp
Epicverb

Also heres the lead part of the song...excuse the sloppiness...

http://soundcloud.com/clockwork-convulations/destroy-to-assimilate-snippet
My advise would be to first turn the kick down a little bit during that lead section with the tapping and sweeping, as it slightly pulls your attention away from the lead part's phrasing.

Then put a compressor on the rhythm guitar bus (if you haven't done so, now is the time to set the outputs of the rhythm guitars to an aux track and then put the compressor on that track) and set the input of the compressor to the lead guitar track (or bus if you have several tracks of lead guitar sent to one bus) so you can trigger the compressor to kick in only when the lead guitar is playing. You want to have it fairly fast (say 5ms ish) and a release of 50-65ms at least, and don't apply any makeup gain. You then need to set the ratio fairly low (probably 2:1 but no higher than 4:1) and adjust the threshold so you are only shaving off about 2-3dB maximum.

After this, if it is still not quite right, I would put an EQ on the rhythm guitar bus, and automate it to only switch on when the lead kicks in (in other words, have it bypassed for the rest of the song) and maybe duck a couple of dB's from the midrange with a fairly wide Q) and that should allow a little more space for the lead to sit in. As there's probably not gonna be vocals over it, you can allow the bulk of the lead to sit in the midrange where most of the tonality will be as this takes centrestage over the rhythm parts for this short period of time.

Finally, I think if you back off a little on the lead's reverb and instead keep it very subtle (barely noticeable until you solo the lead channel basically) and add a tempo-based delay to it you will get much closer to the 'epic' lead tones people tend to use for tapping licks and arpeggios, as well as long bends. You want something that is maybe a 1/2 note delay as I imagine your tempo is pretty fast there, but really it depends on the tempo you set your project to (some people will halve or double the actual tempos of songs so it doesn't fall out of time but the click track is more/less often to help with timing and monitoring). Have the decay and feedback set so you only really hear the first couple of repeats, and the third one is only noticeable on held notes/the last note of a phrase, when the channel is solo'd.

Hope that helps.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
Thanks alot dude..thats some really hardcore info =p

Unfortunately I'm pretty much a noob at this and to make things harder for me reaper doesnt actually have bus tracks so I havta find a workaround.

Once I have that sorted out Ill try adding the fixes =)
Quote by the_weirdoman

Unfortunately I'm pretty much a noob at this and to make things harder for me reaper doesnt actually have bus tracks so I havta find a workaround.

It does you just set them up differently. Create a new track and hit the IO button.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Reaper can't seem to handle more than 9 tracks...keeps crashing whenever I add another one =/
All my Reaper projects are usually 30-40 tracks with multiple busses. The easiest way to buss in Reaper is to use group tracks: add a new track and click the folder icon then drag anything you want in that buss behind this folder track and then add FX's.
Let's party.
Quote by Odirunn
All my Reaper projects are usually 30-40 tracks with multiple busses. The easiest way to buss in Reaper is to use group tracks: add a new track and click the folder icon then drag anything you want in that buss behind this folder track and then add FX's.

This helped alot...thanks =)
Quote by DisarmGoliath
My advise would be to first turn the kick down a little bit during that lead section with the tapping and sweeping, as it slightly pulls your attention away from the lead part's phrasing.

Then put a compressor on the rhythm guitar bus (if you haven't done so, now is the time to set the outputs of the rhythm guitars to an aux track and then put the compressor on that track) and set the input of the compressor to the lead guitar track (or bus if you have several tracks of lead guitar sent to one bus) so you can trigger the compressor to kick in only when the lead guitar is playing. You want to have it fairly fast (say 5ms ish) and a release of 50-65ms at least, and don't apply any makeup gain. You then need to set the ratio fairly low (probably 2:1 but no higher than 4:1) and adjust the threshold so you are only shaving off about 2-3dB maximum.

After this, if it is still not quite right, I would put an EQ on the rhythm guitar bus, and automate it to only switch on when the lead kicks in (in other words, have it bypassed for the rest of the song) and maybe duck a couple of dB's from the midrange with a fairly wide Q) and that should allow a little more space for the lead to sit in. As there's probably not gonna be vocals over it, you can allow the bulk of the lead to sit in the midrange where most of the tonality will be as this takes centrestage over the rhythm parts for this short period of time.

Finally, I think if you back off a little on the lead's reverb and instead keep it very subtle (barely noticeable until you solo the lead channel basically) and add a tempo-based delay to it you will get much closer to the 'epic' lead tones people tend to use for tapping licks and arpeggios, as well as long bends. You want something that is maybe a 1/2 note delay as I imagine your tempo is pretty fast there, but really it depends on the tempo you set your project to (some people will halve or double the actual tempos of songs so it doesn't fall out of time but the click track is more/less often to help with timing and monitoring). Have the decay and feedback set so you only really hear the first couple of repeats, and the third one is only noticeable on held notes/the last note of a phrase, when the channel is solo'd.

Hope that helps.

Great reply mate, how do I set up the eq thing on the rhythm to kick in when the solo starts?
It would be great for my rhythm to drop down a bit when it does but I don't know how to do it.
Add the EQ to the channel/bus, then open upon the envelope (automation) menu for the track, and click "bypass" as the parameter for the EQ. Then you basically just draw it "off" until you want the eq activated then draw it "on".