Hi Guys! I've been struggling to find a good overdrive pedal for my Bandmaster REVERB 76. My head has been completely retubed last month and has been checked by two techs. The clean on this amp sounds really good but I find it breaks up a bit early.
Major problems appear when an overvdrive pedal is in front of it.

I've made a short clip of the sound I get.

* Settings *

Fender Bandmaster REVERB 76:

Volume : 5
Treble : 4
Middle : 7
Bass : 4
Reverb : 6
Master Vol : 3

Visual Sound Open Road Overdrive:

Drive : 12 o'clock
Tone : 3 o'clock
Volume : 4 o'clock

Here's the link of the clip : http://youtu.be/1_1_t27PcSg

As you noticed, it sounds like total crap and it sounds similar with any od pedals.
It has been recorded through a Firepod Presonus, GoldenAge Pre 73 and a Shure SM57. The sound you hear is not caused by a shitty recording. It really sounds like this. You can hear some major fuzz and it feels like the speakers will blow.
What is weird is that the speakers sound really great without overdrive but once it is pushed, it feels like the amp want to explode.

What is the problem now? Speakers? Is this because these old speakers can't hold drive at all?

Is that normal??

Thanks for your help!
You're probably pushing it too hard. Try turning down the volume on the pedal. I'd also try turning down the tone knob a bit. Sounds to me like the pedal is the problem going by the horrible noise before you even start playing.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I've tried this pedal at the same settings with other amps and it never sounded like this!
What does that prove?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
You can't just use the same settings and expect the same sound through different amps...
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
No I know but I mean I've pushed this pedal in other amps and it sounded great. My speakers start the fuzz like crazy it just sounds anormal to me.
Try backing off the volume on the pedal. And play with the tone. You can't expect all amps to react the same way with the same voltages pushed into them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Maybe something's wrong with the Bandmaster? When is the last time you had it serviced? Old amps need some TLC now and then.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
Quote by AcousticMirror
probably not. it's got more to do with the amp then the speakers.

Depends. Those aluminum dome JBLs that came as an upgrade are really harsh and grating when there's any distortion through them. The highs don't compress like most speakers and get all gross. The Jensens and stuff that they used though work just fine with distortion though.

You're level is still too high though. It's as simple as turning it down to see if it works, same with the treble control. Just turn the knobs until it works.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
THanks for your help guys! I'm glad it is normal! I will probably test my amp with other cabs to see if it sounds better!