why does the phrygian become major and the mixolydian become diiminished in the minor scale?
Mate, I think you're way off base. I can't even undersand the question.

Try to put it into the context of a song. Be prepared for a lot of people telling you that you're just playing the major and minor scales.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
I love the way his "oh, I answered my own question" post is just as confusing (and confused) as the question.
The natural minor scale is the Aeolian mode, or the sixth mode (6th scale degree of the major scale).

The third scale degree of the minor scale is the Ionian mode, or the first mode, or the major scale.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by King Of Suede
The natural minor scale is the Aeolian mode, or the sixth mode (6th scale degree of the major scale).

The third scale degree of the minor scale is the Ionian mode, or the first mode, or the major scale.

Oh no, now you did it...
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Quote by wbt1988
why does the phrygian become major and the mixolydian become diiminished in the minor scale?

could you rephrase this in a way that makes sense please?
Thats clearly what he's confused about.
How the minor scale is built in comparison to the major scale.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by King Of Suede

Good to see you guys are on the same page. Unfortunately it still makes no sense.
Soundcloud
Here's what you should do. Forget everything you think you know about modes. Learn the major scale, how chords are made from it, and common progressions. Then learn about the minor scale. If you are teaching yourself, and come across an article or video that tries to explain something using modes, immediately press down the keys Alt and F4 on your keyboard.
Quote by King Of Suede

This is my question exactly, I just was looking at the modes as a basis for building the Maj Min Dim or Aug chord.
Quote by ibz120
Here's what you should do. Forget everything you think you know about modes. Learn the major scale, how chords are made from it, and common progressions. Then learn about the minor scale. If you are teaching yourself, and come across an article or video that tries to explain something using modes, immediately press down the keys Alt and F4 on your keyboard.

This. Especially the bolded part.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by wbt1988
This is my question exactly, I just was looking at the modes as a basis for building the Maj Min Dim or Aug chord.

Ah, that's why it was confusing - modes aren't relevant to this. If you're in C major for example, don't think of E as Phrygian, think of it as the third scale degree, that's all.

If you take a look at C major, here are your chords:
C Dm Em F G Am Bdim

So when we move that to A minor:
Am Bdim C Dm Em F G

Therefore, you can build chords from a natural minor scale using the following formula:
i iidim III iv v VI VII
Quote by wbt1988

Yeah...don't do that. Learn the major and minor scales, how to harmonise them and build them off those.
Soundcloud