Hello my fellow guitarists,

I have recently heard that it is possible to make a double locking floyd rose out of a single locking floyd rose by replacing the saddles.
Did any of you have any experience doing that and if so how do you chose the saddles, how much would it cost?
http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/TremoloInfoProject.htm - here is a link where i found the information.

Thank you.
He's trying to go from single to a double lock from the look of it, not the other way around.

I have an Ibanez RG270DX with a single locking trem. I too considered just upgrading the saddles. This trem is suppose to take OFR saddles perfectly fine. However, with the cost of quality saddles and considering the cheaper materials the rest of the trem is made of I figured I'm better off dropping a Gotoh 1996 in it instead. I don't think saddle replacement is worth in this instance.
Quote by thelordofdarkch
Curiosity, Why would you prefer a single locking over a double locking?

Sorry for making it unclear, i meant that i want to upgrade my single locking FR to a double locking FR.
Quote by poppameth
He's trying to go from single to a double lock from the look of it, not the other way around.

I have an Ibanez RG270DX with a single locking trem. I too considered just upgrading the saddles. This trem is suppose to take OFR saddles perfectly fine. However, with the cost of quality saddles and considering the cheaper materials the rest of the trem is made of I figured I'm better off dropping a Gotoh 1996 in it instead. I don't think saddle replacement is worth in this instance.

Hi, so do you think it's better to pay for a used or a licensed double locking floyd rose , rather than replace the saddles. I mean it wasn't going for graphtech string savers, cos they cost pretty much like a new FR original. if so, how do i know if a double locker will fit right into place of my licensed single locker. and if not, how do i know if the saddles will fit?
I mean it wasn't going for graphtech string savers, cos they cost pretty much like a new FR original.
Real Schaller saddles are expensive. Just look on Allparts for them. String Savers are expensive and not that great for OFR bridges from what I've heard. They are better on Fender style trems. The Gotoh 1996 can be had from a seller on Ebay new in the box for about $150. If you aren't going to spend the money to do it right, don't do it. Save up until you can. You'll just regret spending the money on parts that end up wearing out quickly.

The Gotoh and the OFR are right on par in quality IMO, but the Gotoh can be had for less.
As far as fit goes it probably best to ask around based on the actual guitar you have. Someone can help you identify exactly what trem is in it. You can also measure you existing trem and compare it to the specs on the trem you want to replace it with.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9777076/gotoh1996.pdf

I extracted the page from the Gotoh 2010 catalog that has the 1996 measurements on it.
Hi Everyone,
Sorry for forgetting about this thread, but I did do the conversion.
I got some saddles from Black Dog on Ebay Uk and replaced the existing ones.
They have improved the tuning stability a tonne.
I am super impressed - actually using it for nearly a year now.
The only problem i experienced was that my cavity for recessed trem wasn't long enough and one saddle was hitting the maple top , because I needed to push it all the way back when intonating.
So if you don't want to spend lots of money on a double locking system, get these if you already got a cheap single locking trem.

(Also i hadn't picked up the guitar with this trem for more than two months - was away from it - and it was still in tune. just replaced a stock humbucker with IRONGEAR HAMMERHEAD - and its a beast )
I too went ahead and tried this on the Ibanez I mentioned. About $20 in parts to convert the saddles to locking and it does improve tuning stability quite a bit.
Forgot to write a heads up: make sure you get saddles , which aren't too long for the routing on your guitar.
I'm assuming he did just that in the years since this was posted...
Quote by Neopowell the PUSO
Girls, stuck for a present? Get your man a remote control helicopter. Guys fucking love remote control helicopters.

Mah gear

Ibanez RG350mdx w/ SD TB-6
Ibanez RG7321 <3
Vyper 15
Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II Combo

7>6!