Page 1 of 2
So does anybody remember when they were just starting out?

Did a musician influence you to start playing or was it an "influenced by your crushes tits thing?"

What was the first song you learned how to play

What was the biggest noob mistake you made
Quote by chaoticfables
Shut up, you noob.

+1
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
Did a musician influence you to start playing or was it an "influenced by your crushes tits thing?" I just always wanted to play rock music, ever since I first started listening to rock music when I was really small.

What was the first song you learned how to play Probably "American Idiot" or "Smells Like Teen Spirit".

What was the biggest noob mistake you made Joining this site.
I started playing guitar because I thought it looked cool. Tits probably had an influence. First song I learned was "Talk Shows On Mute" by Incubus.

Worst mistake I made was not playing for almost two years. I suck now.
i was never a noob

im still a noob in my opinion, there is so much i dont know, i cant even sight read sheet notes...
I think the main reason I started was my dad and his sweet-ass, cheesy as hell Ibanez Destroyer. I still love that thing. I'm not sure, but the first song I remember learning the whole thing, not just some bits and riffs, was probably Crazy Little Thing Called Love. And for something like the first 3 years I played, I was holding the pick wrong and when I switched teachers I had to relearn how to use my right hand.
Quote by Robot Monster
I think the main reason I started was my dad and his sweet-ass,

I burst out laughing
2 years in, I'm still a noob. I doubt I'll ever drop noob status, and I'm okay with that!

Not exactly a frequent poster.
I'm still a n00b

EDIT: Oh, I thought this was about UG. I'm a guitar deity
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: Chick Corea, Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull

It is I, the mighty shitkicker, as prophesied by JustRooster. Obey me.
Last edited by Wolfinator-x at Mar 3, 2012,
When I first started out all I wanted to do is downtune to drop C and play Dethklok songs. But then I realized I couldn't do that on 9 guage strings Now I've broadened my tastes and I'm trying to learn more theory and technique. I'm still a noob now, just not as much as a noob as I was when I first started out.
Trust me, I'm a Jedi.

Quote by Minkaro
You must control your use of the force, young Trizek.
Did a musician influence you to start playing or was it an "influenced by your crushes tits thing?"

Not one specific person. And maybe it was a musician's tits.

What was the first song you learned how to play?

Iron Man. Simple enough.

What was the biggest noob mistake you made?

Not learning to read music when I started.
Biggest mistake: Not getting lessons.
I pride myself on my humility.
A friend of mine starting playing, and I thought it was really cool. Then 3 other friends of mine started because they saw me playing and thought it looked cool. Now all but one of them (including the first) have all quit... The one left is now studying music in college though, so he makes up for all of them.
First song was a song I wrote. Tittled "Ass in Mouth Disease"
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
''Guitar Hero'' and ''System of a Down'' made me want to play.

What was the first song you learned how to play
First Riff was the "Crazy Train" intro, first full song was "Knights of Cydonia."

What was the biggest noob mistake you made
Waiting too long to learn about tempo and note durations, it would've made it much easier to program drums that match my riffs.
37N
Got my Squier P Bass on Christmas day in 5th er 6th grade.
My neighbor (who played guitar and was super cute) came over and taught me how to play the Peter Gunn theme.
First full song I think was the Mario theme song.
My noob mistake I guess was not playing for a year after I got it. It took until my parents signed me up for lessons for me to start playing. Then my noob mistake for the next 5 years was not playing every day. It hasn't been until the last couple months (After I realized, come spring, I'll be halfway through college) that I've started putting in 1-3 hours every day.
Quote by Banjocal
sht up u flthy librl foogit stfu u soo mad n butthurdt ur ass is an analpocolypse cuz ur so gay "my ass hrts so mcuh" - u. your rectally vexed n anlly angushed lolo go bck 2 asslnd lolol
Quote by Trizek
When I first started out all I wanted to do is downtune to drop C and play Dethklok songs. But then I realized I couldn't do that on 9 guage strings Now I've broadened my tastes and I'm trying to learn more theory and technique. I'm still a noob now, just not as much as a noob as I was when I first started out.

lol dropping to c on 9's? how'd that work?
My first influence was just music in general. Once I picked up the guitar and discovered Pink Floyd, David Gilmour quickly became my idol, and will remain that way forever.

The first song I learned was Amazing Grace. I learned the basics of rhythm from my grandparents, who are fantastic players. They're into bluegrass and bible songs and all that jazz. My grandpa can finger-pick like no one's business.

The biggest mistake I make today is the way I position my hands. Being largely self-taught, I developed some bad habits that I only learned about last semester during my first guitar class. I anchor my right hand pinky, which I always knew could be bad, and I have too much of an angle on my left wrist when playing.

*edit: I should say that I often don't consider Amazing Grace my first. If I had to guess, it would be House of the Rising Sun.
Quote by Trowzaa
I wish I was American.

~ A Rolling Potato Gathers No Moss ~
Last edited by eGraham at Mar 4, 2012,
I remember trying to tell someone my Fender Squier was a Les Paul only to receive the biggest "Huh??!" look of my life.
http://www.twitter.com/iamcIine

ESP Eclipse II Standard
Krank Revolution+
Krank Revolution 4x12
MXR 10-Band EQ
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR Custom Comp
Maxon OD808
Boss NS-2
I was 13 or so and I really got into Soundgarden and Pearl Jam. I just wanted to do what they did and make songs people really liked. I think the first song I learned was either Come As You Are or Spoonman. I'd say my biggest mistake was not practicing techniques that weren't used in the genres I was listening to at the time. I would be so much better now if I practiced sweeping and tapping stuff then, instead of now when I'm almost 19.
Quote by iamcline
I remember trying to tell someone my Fender Squier was a Les Paul only to receive the biggest "Huh??!" look of my life.

"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
First songf was Stairway to heaven. noob thing was idk trying to play with people who were much better than me. but most of the time I wont try to act more than what I can playh
I guess the noobish thing that I did is that I couldn't bend in tune and I was tone-deaf. It's all good now.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Were?
Implying past tense?

I still AM one.
We are the diamonds that choose to stay coal;
A generation born to witness
The end of the world

Started out on acoustic and played every tab on this site with the chords D, A, G.

First song I could play in entirety including solos (and had the patience and desire to learn entirely) was Wish You Were Here by Floyd.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Page 1 of 2