I have a new jet city 20 watt combo. when the gain is up high it has a hum coming from the speaker. is this normal?
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by AcousticMirror
yeah some hum is normal.

ok thanks. its jsut when i have the gain on like 7. seems to be the amps sweet spot.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by iamcline
Do you use a noise supressor/gate?

no just the bad monkey.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
no just the bad monkey.

Pedals can add a bit of noise.

Hum can be hard to avoid; mostly, we just deal with it.
ohhh okay. just wanted to make sure it wasnt anything serious.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
ohhh okay. just wanted to make sure it wasnt anything serious.

More than likely it's nothing a noise gate can't fix.
http://www.twitter.com/iamcIine

ESP Eclipse II Standard
Krank Revolution+
Krank Revolution 4x12
MXR 10-Band EQ
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR Custom Comp
Maxon OD808
Boss NS-2
I thought you had a hum bucker?

Noisegate brah!

He doesn't have any crystal lettuce tone noob, I would be willing to bet that it's the mojo that your hearing. Mojo does what it does, whether you like it or not.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I have an ISP Decimator but I just got a Boss NS-2 for $50 on ebay. Pick one up. I think the Decimator kills more noise but the NS-2 is cool for fx loops.
Guitars:
Ibanez UV777P
Ibanez RGD2127FX
Ibanez RG3120TW
Ibanez RGD7321
Ibanez RG6003FM
Ibanez SA160
Jackson Slatxmg3-7
Amps:
Baron Custom Amps K88
Rivera Knucklehead TRE
Fryette Sig: X
Randall RM4 /w Modded modules
Cabs:
Mesa 4x12
Bogner 4x12
Peavey 4x12(K85s)
the mxr smart gate doesn't affect your tone at all. once you get it dialed in, you won't have any loss of tone or dynamic response.
My Guitar Rig:
Peavey 6505+ Head
Peavey 6505 slant cab
MXR Smart Gate
MXR Noise Clamp
Ibanez ts-9 tubescreamer
Ibanez RGA72tqm with EMG 81/85

Other Guitar Gear:
Fender Vibro Champ
TTM Guitars Devastator
LTD EC-200

I had a MXR Smart Gate and got rid of it. In some applications it was completely transparent but for the most part I felt tone suckage.

As others have said, tube amps have some hum to them. No denying that. Question is whether or not it is enough to bother you over time or get in the way of gigging/recording.

Lots of things can induce hum too....sometimes it is just a matter of finding out what it is.

One of the greatest amp testing methods known to man is turning off all other electrical devices around you, turn off the lights, and observe your amp
I don't really have any trouble with my ISP affecting tone or cutting off notes. Maybe it's just me. I run it in the FX loop.

^+1 to other devices inducing hum. TVs and computer moniters do it pretty bad sometimes. And I've even had situations where the location I was standing relative to the amp or the way the guitar was facing affected hum.
Ibanez UV777 - Carvin TL60 & 727 - Jackson KE3
Splawn QuickRod - Mesa Stiletto & RoadKing - Peavey Ultra+ - Peavey Bandit
Some pedlulz & cabz

7 String Legion
Quote by BCKRedBaron
I don't really have any trouble with my ISP affecting tone or cutting off notes. Maybe it's just me. I run it in the FX loop.

^+1 to other devices inducing hum. TVs and computer moniters do it pretty bad sometimes. And I've even had situations where the location I was standing relative to the amp or the way the guitar was facing affected hum.

In my opinion hum is "OK" buzzing isn't.
If I get too close to electronics with my guitar my amp starts buzzing.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
As others have said, tube amps have some hum to them. No denying that. Question is whether or not it is enough to bother you over time or get in the way of gigging/recording.

Lots of things can induce hum too....sometimes it is just a matter of finding out what it is.

One of the greatest amp testing methods known to man is turning off all other electrical devices around you, turn off the lights, and observe your amp

This.
Some of us mod our amps to reduce hum but there's always some. The thing to see is, "does the amp hum with nothing plugged into it?"
If not then the problem will most likely be the guitar and/or cable picking up hum from outside sources. If that's the case you have to look into modding the guitar and/or using better quality cables.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If the electronics you're by aren't on does that affect it? For example, if you're by a computer but it's in standby mode, will that affect it?
My Jet City has quite a bit of hum when the post is above 5 on the crunch channel. I think its just part of the amp as I can't alleviate it

EDIT: You were right Cath, I've had that longplate JJ in V2 for about 2 months now and it's already starting to crackle. Bumming, it sounded so good there too.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Mar 4, 2012,
Lots of things cause hum. A bad pickup, bad grounding, electric devices in the room that are on, high gain on an amp....

It's pretty much normal. But like 311 said, it really just boils down to what you feel like dealing with. Some people don't like hum, others (like me) just deal with it.

Hell, I happen to like my 60-cycle hum in my Strat, thank you
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by Flux'D
EDIT: You were right Cath, I've had that longplate JJ in V2 for about 2 months now and it's already starting to crackle. Bumming, it sounded so good there too.
Try cleaning the socket before you give up on it. They are a very nice sounding tube, I have a few of them kicking around here. I stocked up a bit when I knew my supplier had some old stock of them. Grabbed a few EL84's while I was at it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
It wouldn't hurt to clean all the sockets anyways, I just gotta find my can of Detoxit..
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by stratman_13
Hell, I happen to like my 60-cycle hum in my Strat, thank you
Oh it'll drive me insane. Literally I think some dude invented humbuckers cause he heard insanity in the hum. They sound thick as shit too.

Televisions too. Turn it off please. If the amp is on, play the ****er or turn it on off thanks.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."