Page 1 of 3
Is there anyone who doesn't use any pedals except for maybe a wah/nonise gate/tuner? I personally hate using pedals now as I find them to always sound like, pedals, instead of amps and in my experience, pedals have a lot of noise. I also usually think that if I buy an amp, I want the sound of an amp, not a pedal though I do understand that some people really have a legitimate use for an OD pedal. I never need too much gain, just enough to get some pretty good, thickish breakup. Has anyone ever tried this, especially while gigging?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
I don't use any other than a wah because I can't afford to buy more pedals. Pedals do cause some noise, but isn't that what noise gate is for? OD on the other hand can only be used to thicken the sound or overdrive the sound a bit more than what the base sound is.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Yeah man. i know what you mean... for me pedals just cover the true sound of your amp.
smokin a few joints!
drinkin a few minotaurs!,
Rockin!
I've always had a multifx unit as part of my overall setup, but it only ever gets used when I need something extra, like a bit of delay etc. which isn't particularly often. The rest of the time, the effects unit is merely a glorified tuner and all my sound comes solely from my amp.

I've been playing that way for 20+ years and don't see me changing any time soon.

If you get the sound you want from your amp, why would you bother trying to recreate that in a different way?
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Sakke
I don't use any other than a wah because I can't afford to buy more pedals. Pedals do cause some noise, but isn't that what noise gate is for? OD on the other hand can only be used to thicken the sound or overdrive the sound a bit more than what the base sound is.

Right. Because no one just runs an OD into a clean amp do they.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
I still only use a compressor for clean tones and thats about it. Everything else is a toy.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I only have an overdrive and a fuzz for my band.

I have a wah, but whenever I use it I pick up the radio (need to get a new one).

I've been scrounging around for money to buy an amp, so I can't buy any effects. I think effects are cool but shouldn't always be used as they stray away from the simplicity and charm of the sound of the music.

If I WERE to get effects I'd probably get a delay (for slap back, and reverse), an octave pedal (like the POG 2), a Phase 90, and a trem or noise (fuzz probe) pedal.
Why should we limit ourselves to simplicity though? Why can't we explore new sounds and ideas with effects pedals? Sure, plugging a good guitar into a good amp is great, but what if we want to go past that?

Seriously. What pedals have you guys been using?
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by MetalChurch181
You don't use pedals unless you are unsatisfied with your amp sound, It is as simple as that.

Soooooo completely backwards. Your amp IS your sound, pedals are icing on the cake.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by MetalChurch181
You don't use pedals unless you are unsatisfied with your amp sound, It is as simple as that.

Ya, **** pedals.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Quote by Eppicurt
Right. Because no one just runs an OD into a clean amp do they.

Just giving an example what you can do with an OD, other than running it with the clean channel. Anyways, as said above, pedals give the icing, not the core sound.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by MetalChurch181

Show me an amp that does what a Digitech Whammy or Strymon Timeline does.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Last edited by Eppicurt at Mar 4, 2012,
Quote by Sakke
Just giving an example what you can do with an OD, other than running it with the clean channel. Anyways, as said above, pedals give the icing, not the core sound.

No, you said it "can only be used" implying it served no other purpose.

And that statement just isn't true. How do you get grit out of a Fender Twin? Cranking certainly won't give you that much grit. So what's been made? Oh. A box that provides grit. Hmm. There, now you have two core sounds. A nice clean and a nice grit. Amps aren't the only producer of core sounds.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
Why should we limit ourselves to simplicity though? Why can't we explore new sounds and ideas with effects pedals? Sure, plugging a good guitar into a good amp is great, but what if we want to go past that?

Sometimes effects sound corny and predictable. I get that NEW sounds can be extremely awesome to hear, though it would be impossible to create live if a pedal hadn't been invented for the sound. Effects that have been used over and over again can get as boring as a dry/clean signal. It's all preference though.
Quote by RGallagherFan
Sometimes effects sound corny and predictable. I get that NEW sounds can be extremely awesome to hear, though it would be impossible to create live if a pedal hadn't been invented for the sound. Effects that have been used over and over again can get as boring as a dry/clean signal. It's all preference though.

How do they make that sound in the first place then.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Last edited by Eppicurt at Mar 4, 2012,
From OP's profile:
Favorite bands :
Alice in Chains, Mad Season, Led Zeppelin, Queen, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Nirvana, The Beatles, Iron Maiden

Wonder if any of them ever used any effects?
Quote by CodeMonk
From OP's profile:
Favorite bands :
Alice in Chains, Mad Season, Led Zeppelin, Queen, The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Nirvana, The Beatles, Iron Maiden

Wonder if any of them ever used any effects?

No, because their sounds came from their sheer playing ability and not from exploring new and weird sounds and incorporating it into their music. At all.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by RGallagherFan
In studio.

Using what.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by Eppicurt
Using what.

If they created a new effect like a chorus-rotary-reverse-flubbywubby-doo-dad that shoots laser beams.

It'd be tough trying to bring all the equipment used to make the sound from the studio into a gig-ready situation.

Les Paul experimented with tape delay, phasing, and multitracking...he wouldn't have been able to use any of that stuff live in the 50's ha ha. If a new effect was discovered like that, you wouldn't have a pedal for it.
Quote by RGallagherFan
If they created a new effect like a chorus-rotary-reverse-flubbywubby-doo-dad that shoots laser beams.

It'd be tough trying to bring all the equipment used to make the sound from the studio into a gig-ready situation.

Les Paul experimented with tape delay, phasing, and multitracking...he wouldn't have been able to use any of that stuff live in the 50's ha ha. If a new effect was discovered like that, you wouldn't have a pedal for it.

They'd probably make that effect by combing those effects together.

Tough. But not impossible.

You're talking about the 50's, when all the electric guitar technology was only just being developed. Now, if you wanted a particular effect, you go to a pedal builder, say what you want and they can design and make it for you. You're saying that you shouldn't use pedals because there are sounds that haven't been invented yet. So we shouldn't use the sounds that already exist?
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Even though I have two rack units, one out front and one in the loop, I rarely use any of the effects apart from reverb. I mostly use them as programmable boost and master volume (and to switch my amp) but every now and then I will switch in effects. Why limit myself? My rig is easy to drive on stage and is supremely versatile.
The way I look at is it's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I did go through a minimalist phase where I only used amp and guitar but now I have a rack rig. I can still play without effects if I want to and it's no harder to lug around than a head.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Yeah I guess a pedal builder COULD make something. It's been done before with Roger Mayer and the vibe/rotary pedal that he made for Jimi...that was a really cool invention.

Oh, the reason I'm talking 50's is because Les Paul invented those things out of the blue and they changed everything. There are still plenty of new discoveries to be made in studio. In 100 years they'll use choruses and flangers as tributes to relics of old while the new zt00rb kids will be using all kinds of neat things that would take a Dr. Seuss imagination for us to even try to think of.
I really don't understand a word you're saying.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
Quote by MetalChurch181

Find me an amp that can do everything my pedals can do for me, and I'll support this statement.
I have gone to a lot of trouble to make my amp sound sensational. Carefully selected NOS tubes, mods, etc. I am extremely happy with the tone of my amp. If I want to turn on some flanger or do some pitch shifting how has that got ANYTHING to do with being unsatisfied with my amp? You're talking total gibberish.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by MetalChurch181

truth. real men don't use delays, they simulate echoes using picking dynamics.
Did I miss a memo about UG going full retard today?

Some of the shit I've read in the past ten minutes...
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by NakedInTheRain
truth. real men don't use delays, they simulate echoes using picking dynamics.

Man, every time I see a post like the OP over on TGP, I'm so tempted to make a vid of me picking softer and softer in succession claiming you don't need a delay.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
Pedals are for beginners. Experienced players don't need pedals.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by RGallagherFan
In studio.

So it's not ok to use a few pedals in addition to your amp's sound, but it is ok to use tons of studio equipment? I don't get your logic.

Also, if you can find an amp that naturally gives my tone an echo that magically goes along to the tempo I want to play at, and also has a reverb unit that can do huge hall/cave reverbs let me know. Oh, and it needs a gain boost button...with knobs to tweak the boost. Oh yeah, and I'm going to need it to have a second echo sometimes. With a separate tempo. Only sometimes, though. Can you make that programmable? I guess I can just get someone to do it in the studio.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Page 1 of 3