Would this even work? And if it did would the gain be enough for metal? I just don't like how much distortion pedals change your tone,even if you don't want it to.
]
Overdrive pedals change your tone as well.

What amp are you using?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Three overdrive pedals doesnt sound like a great idea. You could easily damage an amp if you boost that much.

All pedals will change the tone, but thats why you buy them. You either get a pedal you like or a new amp that will do what you want.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
What the hell are these answers? Three distortion pedals is a very very stupid idea, as the amount of gain will **** up your tone till you can only here fuzzes and noises. Save up and get a new amp.
ich bin indeed ein sprechender panda, how are you?
Music student, Jazz/Classical/Prog
Music Man JP6 BFR, Ibanez S7420, Fender American Standard, Ibanez EW35 acoustic, 6505+
Quote by PowerEngine
MXR '78 badass distortion?

That pedal is amazing!! Wish I'd seen it before
]
My guitarist (though, we're not metal...) uses a Big Muff, a Boss (Super OD I think?) and a Boss Metalzone.

It's an ugly sound, but that's what we're going for. Indie rock grunge. Rawr.
Legion!
Original 1969 Fender Jazzmaster
Jackson JS32R Dinky "Curry"
ESP/LTD SN-1000
Jackson Stars Kelly "Aiko"
Ormsby SX6 prototype
Dingwall NG-2 "Kimmy"
MiM Fender Jazz Bass "Pancho"
EVH 5153
Quote by Wisthekiller
Just to inform you, because this turns many people off of it, the Badass is a clone of an older DS-1 (and DS-1s get a lot of hate here).

Oh okay. I am a bit partial to MXR anyway,they make great pedals. The distortion III kicks ass too
]
Why do you want 2 or more distortions into an amp that already has an OD integrated?
Get an amp that does the tone you want. Stacking overdrive pedals will end up sounding terrible.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by JesusCrisp
Why do you want 2 or more distortions into an amp that already has an OD integrated?
Get an amp that does the tone you want. Stacking overdrive pedals will end up sounding terrible.

I was counting the built in tubescreamer as an overdrive pedal to avoid confusion.
]
not sure that'd work with the amp you have

fwiw i don't think it's anywhere near as stupid an idea as everyone here is suggesting. plenty of people stack pedals. you don't have to run the gain on 10 on all of them. often it sounds better running several pedals but with the gain backed off.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
not sure that'd work with the amp you have

fwiw i don't think it's anywhere near as stupid an idea as everyone here is suggesting. plenty of people stack pedals. you don't have to run the gain on 10 on all of them. often it sounds better running several pedals but with the gain backed off.

Sounds like you know what you're doing. So you think two overdrive pedals would get the sound I want?
]
probably not with your amp, no. (I haven't tried it, but i assume it's a fairly low gain affair)

you can use a couple of boosts into a higher gain amp, but ods tendto have a softersound. you can stack them, but it might sound too soft. stacking an OD and a distortionmightbe abetteridea.

(dang space bar is actingup, sorry )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
probably not with your amp, no. (I haven't tried it, but i assume it's a fairly low gain affair)

you can use a couple of boosts into a higher gain amp, but ods tendto have a softersound. you can stack them, but it might sound too soft. stacking an OD and a distortionmightbe abetteridea.

(dang space bar is actingup, sorry )

Surely a distortion pedal would offset the positives of a tube amp?
]
nah not really. not if you get a decent one, anyway.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There's not much difference between OD pedals and distortion pedals; other than a few very rare and expensive models, ODs and distortions both use transistors, they're solid state. If that is something you want to avoid then you're a bit screwed unless you have the money to get an all-valve OD.

With an OD you tend to get more range in the level control and less range in the gain control. With distortion pedals it's the opposite. With metal you usually (subject to personal taste) want a balance between a small level boost and a fair bit of pedal gain. Going for just a big level boost will give you more of a typical hard rock/classic metal tone and going for just pedal distortion will give you the really extreme wall-of-noise tones of later thrash metal, industrial metal and so on.

Your amp is already moderately high-gain and has one of the world's most powerful OD pedals built right into it. If you can't get the metal tone you want out of that I'd suggest you consider getting a distortion pedal, rather than another OD, but don't go too crazy on the gain. A small level boost and moderate pedal gain will give you a tighter tone with more distortion without colouring your sound completely.

I suggest you take a look at the Digitech HardWire Valve Distortion pedal. It's got true bypass, the most durable construction you'll find anywhere and a fairly transparent tone (and unlike many pedals it has separate high and low tone controls, so you have a bit more control over how much your sound is effected). You can use it as both a distortion pedal and as an OD.
The BOSS SD-1 is a very transparent OD/distortion pedal, though it's certainly more on the OD side. It's nice but may be too classic-sounding if you're considering chaining multiple pedals. DN-2 has a bit more gain to it but it also colours your tone a touch more.
If you do have a bit more money to burn, take a look at the Blackstar HT DISTX. It's one of the more affordable valve distortion pedals. bear in mind a valve distortion pedal, while it may give you a more transparent tone than a solid state pedal, is also going to generate a little extra noise. If you're going to go really mental with the gain then this may be an issue.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
I've been using the Blackstar HT-Drive for about a month or 2 now and it has tons of gain on tap. Most of the Blackstar pedal range are pretty awesome in my opinion but the HT-Drive sounds more natural to me.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
1) What amp are you using that would ever require 3 OD pedals to get a "Metallica" crunch?

My suggestion? Get a different amp.

The simplest solution is almost always the best.
Quote by MrFlibble
There's not much difference between OD pedals and distortion pedals; other than a few very rare and expensive models, ODs and distortions both use transistors, they're solid state. If that is something you want to avoid then you're a bit screwed unless you have the money to get an all-valve OD.

With an OD you tend to get more range in the level control and less range in the gain control. With distortion pedals it's the opposite. With metal you usually (subject to personal taste) want a balance between a small level boost and a fair bit of pedal gain. Going for just a big level boost will give you more of a typical hard rock/classic metal tone and going for just pedal distortion will give you the really extreme wall-of-noise tones of later thrash metal, industrial metal and so on.

Your amp is already moderately high-gain and has one of the world's most powerful OD pedals built right into it. If you can't get the metal tone you want out of that I'd suggest you consider getting a distortion pedal, rather than another OD, but don't go too crazy on the gain. A small level boost and moderate pedal gain will give you a tighter tone with more distortion without colouring your sound completely.

I suggest you take a look at the Digitech HardWire Valve Distortion pedal. It's got true bypass, the most durable construction you'll find anywhere and a fairly transparent tone (and unlike many pedals it has separate high and low tone controls, so you have a bit more control over how much your sound is effected). You can use it as both a distortion pedal and as an OD.
The BOSS SD-1 is a very transparent OD/distortion pedal, though it's certainly more on the OD side. It's nice but may be too classic-sounding if you're considering chaining multiple pedals. DN-2 has a bit more gain to it but it also colours your tone a touch more.
If you do have a bit more money to burn, take a look at the Blackstar HT DISTX. It's one of the more affordable valve distortion pedals. bear in mind a valve distortion pedal, while it may give you a more transparent tone than a solid state pedal, is also going to generate a little extra noise. If you're going to go really mental with the gain then this may be an issue.

Thanks for taking your time with that,it's really helpful. There are just so many pedals out there,it blows your mind. The digitech one is definitely a contender though
]
Boss ML-2, Digitech Death Metal, Danelectro Fab Metal. Get ONE of those pedals, turn off the boost on your amp and you should be okay.

Edit: You can keep the boost on your amp turned on. I'd recommend the Danelectro or the Boss over the Digitech. Also if you're not gigging then get Guitar Rig 4, and a decent pair of headphones and you'll easily get that Metallica sound. If you're gigging, one of my friends hooked up his laptop to the PA system and ran Guitar Rig 4 on his laptop. He got a Rocksmith 1/4 inch TRS to USB cable and plugged it into the laptop, ran Guitar Rig, setup his settings, and attached a 1/8 inch TRS adapter to one of his guitar cables and used that to attach to the PA system. If you gig with Guitar Rig, it's a pain to change settings because you have to turn your guitar volume off and go to the laptop. Also during that gig we used wires, because the stage wasn't too big anyway.
Last edited by dragonkidkoga at Mar 5, 2012,
Quote by dragonkidkoga
Boss ML-2, Digitech Death Metal, Danelectro Fab Metal. Get ONE of those pedals, turn off the boost on your amp and you should be okay.
Do not do this. They are all terrible pedals.

If you're gigging, one of my friends hooked up his laptop to the PA system and ran Guitar Rig 4 on his laptop. He got a Rocksmith 1/4 inch TRS to USB cable and plugged it into the laptop, ran Guitar Rig, setup his settings, and attached a 1/8 inch TRS adapter to one of his guitar cables and used that to attach to the PA system.
Do not do this either.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Do not do this. They are all terrible pedals.

Do not do this either.

I'm not saying you're wrong, but how about some support for those statements?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
For the pedals, just listen to them. They're shite. Even if someone wants ann exclsuively metal distortion-only pedal, there are a hundred better options than the sodding Metal Core and Death Metal. Hell, even Digitech's own TL-2 beats them both by a country mile. The only thing worse than the Metal Core is the Metal Zone (or perhaps the old Distortion Factory).

As for guitar rig, why would someone do that when they have a perfectly good valve amp at their disposal.
Quote by MrFlibble
As for guitar rig, why would someone do that when they have a perfectly good valve amp at their disposal.

This.

If you want great crunchy distortion, buy a high gain tube amp and put a tube screamer up front.

DON'T buy a MetalZone/Core/Death or whatever and put it in front of a practice amp.
What about the Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory - great pedal with a great mix of tones. You can grab one on e bay for around £30.00.
Quote by fugazi001
What about the Digitech DF-7 Distortion Factory - great pedal with a great mix of tones. You can grab one on e bay for around £30.00.

Thought it was a terrible pedal. Most of those Digitech X-series pedals were really, really bad.

It sounds like what the TS really wants is a distortion pedal or a higher gain OD to stack with the amp's OD. There are plenty of those around, and having two on at once is perfectly fine. Three is theoretically fine, but there's really no reason to do it - stacking two should get you as much gain as you'll need. Three stacked ODs is going to mess with your tone more than a stacked OD/Distortion.
Quote by Roc8995
Thought it was a terrible pedal. Most of those Digitech X-series pedals were really, really bad.

It sounds like what the TS really wants is a distortion pedal or a higher gain OD to stack with the amp's OD. There are plenty of those around, and having two on at once is perfectly fine. Three is theoretically fine, but there's really no reason to do it - stacking two should get you as much gain as you'll need. Three stacked ODs is going to mess with your tone more than a stacked OD/Distortion.

Exactly right Great advice too...
Are you saying two overdrive pedals plus amp overdrive or one overdrive pedal into the overdriven amp?
]
I use two, but I have the gain at 0 on both
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive