Hi guys,

I've been playing for about 2 years pretty consistently, but over the past few weeks I just can't motivate myself to play for more than 20 minutes every so often.

Any ideas on how to get me motivated to play? Maybe new ways to practice, structured practice?

Cheers.
Start taking notes what you've learned new on a day... prepare a practice plan. Make it clear to yourself what you want to learn and get going!
Listen to your favorite music before practicing to get you stoked for it!
Mikael Âkerfeldt : I stick to drinking whiskey... One bottle a day keeps the doctor away...
or was it one glass? (laughs)
Play together with other people. Form a band if possible, at least, make music.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Watch some Paul Gilbert or Guthrie Govan lessons on YouTube. They're so passionate about guitar that it catches on to the watcher and you want to grab your axe
Write songs.
Join a band.
Go to local shows.

These things usually help me, especially the last one cause i see them and i'm like 'well this guy is god awful and can get his band on a stage with a reasonable crowd, why can't i do that now?'

them sort of things inspire me to actually go out and show people what i can do. No point being nervous about it, you've gotta believe in your ability.
Don't force yourself. It's not worth it to play if you're not enjoying it.

The desire to play waxes and wanes. This is a pretty normal thing for me. Sometimes you won't be able to put the guitar down, and sometimes you won't touch it for days.

You'll feel and play a lot better if you're not forcing yourself. When I don't play for a while and then I come back, I'm shit hot. So relax.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Sometimes you learn more when you're away from your instrument, take a break for a while and comeback when you're motivated.

Also expand your horizons, most people I see getting in a rut only listen to a really narrow range of music. You may wish to be a rock god but throwing on an occasional classical or jazz record will do you the world of good.
For sale: Early 1985 Ibanez AH10 (Allan Holdsworth signature model) PM for details
Quote by Jyrgen
Watch some Paul Gilbert or Guthrie Govan lessons on YouTube. They're so passionate about guitar that it catches on to the watcher and you want to grab your axe

There are times I am not feeling it, that is when I will throw in some G3 concerts or youtube some Gilbert, Goven, Vai, Petrucci....

It gets me pumped up to practice!
"Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?"
why not listen to some new musicians? I was losing interest in music but then I heard George Van Eps
Watch Ola Englund (fearedse) on Youtube. Works every time.
PRS SE CU22 | PRS SE CU24 | Takamine EG463SC
Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster | Rectifier 212
Pitchblack+ | Bad Monkey | FAB Chorus | NOVA Delay
whenever I get bored of playing or feel like im about to be bored, I look for a new band to be addicted to. I started liking metallica and thats how I got into guitar, then when I learned alot of their songs I got a bit bored, and moved on to megadeth and learned a bunch of their stuff, then x japan, and so forth.

Ive learned that when your bored of playing guitar, your usually bored of the music your listening to, then when you find a new band that you really like, you want to learn their songs and techniques. thats how I get by learning guitar and playing more than an hour a day.

alot of people here have made good suggestions too, just do whatever feels right for you, whether its taking breaks from guitar or making routines, or finding new music.
Marty Friedman is GOD!

curently in a SEX MACHINEGUNS and X JAPAN phase AND Galneryus AND Anthem phase

damn J-Metal, why you so awesome

My Gear:

Schecter Hellraiser V-1 fr
Ibanez RG321mh
Fender GDC-200sce
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ sanpera 1
Quote by Benny150592
Hi guys,

I've been playing for about 2 years pretty consistently, but over the past few weeks I just can't motivate myself to play for more than 20 minutes every so often.

Any ideas on how to get me motivated to play? Maybe new ways to practice, structured practice?

Cheers.
Play louder. Much louder
play with other people!!

join a band, jam with buddies or something. I'm with you that its tough to just sit there "practicing" stuff by yourself (I know there are people who can lock themselves away and practice endlessly, I am not one of them). I found the best thing was to play with other people so that you have some incentive. not in a competitive sense, but its nice to hear a whole band progress, or a jam pairing go from being bland to being really good.
You've put too much time into it to give up now........think of it that way.

That's what I say to myself when I feel like that
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
I watch some G3 with Petrucci, Vai, and Satch. Very motivating stuff. Makes me want to reach that level.
If the moods right.

Play.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
get orianthi as your teacher?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
get orianthi as your teacher?

I'd never stop playing
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Listen to a band you haven't listened to in a while. Listened to Dark Side of the Moon the other day and now i want to be able to solo like Gilmour.
"This is Sierra-259, you got Spartans on the ground, sir. We're not going anywhere."

Fender Partscaster

Vox AC4TV

Korg Pitchblack Tuner
TC Electronics Nova Repeater
Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi
MXR Micro Amp
EH Holy Grail Reverb
Quote by JKHC

I'd never stop playing

hehe
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?