My girlfriend of nearly 2 years just left me. I don't know why. There's no real good reason in my eyes but what ever. I haven't cried for over 3-4 years, that's how much it's emotionally affecting me. I've just moved to university, she is pretty much the only other person I know here. I find it hard to meet people to and suddenly I'm all alone here...

So uh... tips for letting go / meeting new people? I am currently living in university accommodation but the people here really aren't all that social / friendly so that's out of the question. But yeah... ah well.
R/DedIT
The Glitch Mob

Arkasia

Tool

Quote by madbasslover
I'd pay four bucks to have those 6 balls stuffed in my mouth.
Immerse yourself with music.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Fap with gasoline and when you're done light your junk on fire.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
I'm cockblocked regularly by my appearance and personality.
Quote by Ometh

If you are serious that is bad advice...
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Go up to someone and say "hello, I'm soandso".
Other classics include "Is this seat taken?"
"So, do you like stuff?"
"Hey, what do you think of x?"

I used to find this hard to do but I always gave myself the logical arguement.
You can go up and say hello, the worst scenario is still not going to be as bad as being all by yourself.

On the subject of girlfriends, move on man. You got yourself one girlfriend, nothing's stopping you from finding someone new and improved.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
I'm sorry to hear that man

A good way to look at the end of a relationship is, did you want to be with her forever? Can you imagine yourself being married to her? With kids? Unless that's a 100% honest yes, then it had to end sometime. This gives you the opportunity to focus on the things that you love, that maybe she restricted you from. You can also meet new people, including girls, without fear of causing a jealous reaction.

If you struggle talking to people, easiest way to break the ice is to pretend you already know them. Just walk up to them and say "Hey haven't seen you for ages! How've you been?" When they look at you like you're a crazy person, just say "Oh, sorry! I thought you were somebody else!" Then let the conversation begin. If they walk away, try the next person, perhaps with "Do I know you from somewhere?" - since that's a touch less crazy.
Don't you hate it when you're reading a sentence and it doesn't end how you testicles.

Did you hear the one about the boy with the short atten
Last edited by TheKraken at Mar 4, 2012,
Quote by ripple07
Immerse yourself with music.

Beat you to it.

Quote by Ometh

brbgettinggas

And as for other responses yeah I'm usually fine meeting people but more often than not I'll talk to them that one time and never see them again haha, a lot of them don't seem interested in making more close friends kinda thing, everyone here already seems to have their own little groups. God damit, school was no problem, so easy there, why am I suddenly socially retarded
R/DedIT
The Glitch Mob

Arkasia

Tool

Quote by madbasslover
Quote by TripleN666
So **** it. Act like you dont give a. Just do more stuff with people from school then.

I've moved away and they've all moved to other places too.
R/DedIT
The Glitch Mob

Arkasia

Tool

Quote by madbasslover
join clubs/socs and go to uni events.get drunk and you'll make loads of friends and have a much better sex life
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
What uni are you at? Learn when the designated 'going out night' of the week is for your uni (E.g. Canberra students get drunk on Thursdays, Woolongong on Wednesdays ) and then go out, get drunk (if you wanna) and meet people. Try to remember names/some sort of contact detail so you can hang out again.

EDIT: Also join any clubs/societies you might be even slightly interested in; go to any events at uni you might be interested in, you will meet other people and can hang out in a comfortable environment.
"People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis; you can't trust people."
Last edited by Dory77 at Mar 4, 2012,
If you truly loved her you will get over her in 6-12 months. Not truly over her but you won't be so ****ed up.
Quote by Dory77
What uni are you at? Learn when the designated 'going out night' of the week is for your uni (E.g. Canberra students get drunk on Thursdays, Woolongong on Wednesdays ) and then go out, get drunk (if you wanna) and meet people. Try to remember names/some sort of contact detail so you can hang out again.

Wollongong is Wednesdays

And I went out not long ago, they literally play the music so loud you can't talk to people. Apparently it's intended to make conversation awkward and make you drink faster / purchase more drinks.

I guess that pretty much leaves actually uni itself to meet people. Tutorials start this week which are much much smaller groups then lectures so hopefully I meet some people there. And I just remembered that her and I enrolled in as many similar tutorials and stuff as possible... ffffffuuuu.
R/DedIT
The Glitch Mob

Arkasia

Tool

Quote by madbasslover
Quote by SnowTau
Wollongong is Wednesdays

And I went out not long ago, they literally play the music so loud you can't talk to people. Apparently it's intended to make conversation awkward and make you drink faster / purchase more drinks.

I guess that pretty much leaves actually uni itself to meet people. Tutorials start this week which are much much smaller groups then lectures so hopefully I meet some people there. And I just remembered that her and I enrolled in as many similar tutorials and stuff as possible... ffffffuuuu.

Yea, clubbing isn't conducive to conversation. You'll probably meet a few people in tutes, although having your ex around may be awkward. Do you live on campus/in a residence? They usually have parties/impromptu piss-ups every week or two. Join in with some of them, as they tend to be more social and actually involve talking to other people.
"People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis; you can't trust people."
Did you let your girlfriend hang out with other people?

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by ripple07
If you are serious that is bad advice...

TS, go out and get fucked up and fuck a drunk chick. There's a rule that if you wake up and she's still there then you can just roll over and say "You're my wife now." and then you're set for life
Quote by Dory77
Yea, clubbing isn't conducive to conversation. You'll probably meet a few people in tutes, although having your ex around may be awkward. Do you live on campus/in a residence? They usually have parties/impromptu piss-ups every week or two. Join in with some of them, as they tend to be more social and actually involve talking to other people.

The place where I ended up (4th on my accommodation preferences) turned out to be a rather small (only 50 or so people) place where not many people go out which is a shame, a lot of them are really into their studies or even post-grad / mature age and simply aren't interested.

Quote by xxdarrenxx
Did you let your girlfriend hang out with other people?

Of course.
R/DedIT
The Glitch Mob

Arkasia

Tool

Quote by madbasslover
Listen to Gaslight Anthem, get drunk, listen to Gaslight Anthem
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Fact is nobody has ever proven smoking to cause cancer.
buy some weed man, then smoke it, best way to socialize, everybody will wanna be your pal.

i would give you some real advice, but i'm not that good with people either

good luck do
Quote by WantsLesPaul
You are a sick man, Riley.
play dopesmoker by Sleep or something similar, put on repeat, undress, take every narcotic you can find and chant random bullcrap for hours, occasionally starting a fire somewhere.

it's the only way.
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
It wasn't meant to be, bud, plain and simple. And you are better off finding out now rather than later, say after you were married.

You will learn from this, grow, and have an even better relationship the next time. I look back on some of mine now and scoff at them, no matter how long they lasted. They were like practice tests.

At your age, relationships are like reading a good book when you should really be doing your homework. Concentrate on what is important, not puppets in the back of a cave with pretty dresses.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

so, you've had girlfriend for nearly two years while on the other hand, the only girls i've ever really felt for have both rejected me so far. The fact that you got some bitch to like you in the first place (let alone sticking around for that long) should be a confidence boost in itself.

Wanna meet people? Go out and start ****ing talking, pretty much it.

Sorry if i'm not in the most sympathetic mood today. ****face.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Get a new girlfriend immediately and treat her just like you've already been together for two years.
Just take it easy on yourself for a few days. Go out and do some things that make you happy.
e-married to Jack (bladez)
Quote by TOMMYB22
so, you've had girlfriend for nearly two years while on the other hand, the only girls i've ever really felt for have both rejected me so far. The fact that you got some bitch to like you in the first place (let alone sticking around for that long) should be a confidence boost in itself.

Wanna meet people? Go out and start ****ing talking, pretty much it.

Sorry if i'm not in the most sympathetic mood today. ****face.

you've been all over the place for the last few days man. have a i know exactly what that feels like. hope you feel better soon.

ts, i've had several friends who've broken up after long term relationships and have gotten dependent on each other. you're not half as alone as you think. try to meet as many people as possible and be as cheery and friendly as you possibly can, things will eventually fall into place and you will move on. instead, if you stay hung up over this and insist on talking about it even to the new people you meet, they'll be instantly driven away. chin up ts.
First off No Contact all the way!
You want to heal and move on, and not hold on to emotion tie downs from the past

My gf and I broke up about 4-5 months ago, we were almost dating for 4 years. Yes, it sucked. But you just got pick up things that your interested in. Example I picked up Drums, Snowboarding, and started working out (alot of people do this one). Read some books on how to improve your dating life. Talk to your family, and friends to help. Basically saying find stuff that will move you in a confidence building/bring joy to you activities.

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
There's absolutely no way I can not make contact with her. I've never had this many feelings for anyone so much in my life, plus she was the one who all my firsts of many things were with, it's torn me apart so hard. Sure in a few years I'll probably have moved on and can only hope to find someone better but at the moment I'm at that point where I feel like it'll never happen. There's a first for everything I guess.
R/DedIT
The Glitch Mob

Arkasia

Tool

Quote by madbasslover