Yeah, just wondering. I'm looking for some new strings, I've used D'addario's before and several different types of Ernie Ball strings on my strat (all 10's) but I can't help but think there are some better strings out there that will have more sustain and a fuller tone. Any ideas? Cheers guys
"I've Been Imitated So Well I've Heard People Copy My Mistakes"- Jimi Hendrix

We're born to lose, so live to win
Rotosound Pinks. I used to use yellows and before that I used £2 supermarket strings. I changed to Rotosound because you get a free high e and the supermarket stopped selling strings.

To me all strings feel the same.
Last edited by MegadethFan18 at Mar 4, 2012,
Try the same brands, but with .011s. Having said that, I only do this on my LP, there's just a little too much tension for me on a 25.5 guitar but it's worth a try
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
generally you get a slightly fuller tone with slightly longer sustain if you use a heavier string gauge, but that means the strings feel tighter and are harder to bend, which isn't necessarily a desirable thing, and really the amount of difference it makes isn't worth the trade-off if you find heavier strings harder to play..

I think you're more likely to be able to beef up the tone and sustain of your guitar by getting a brass sustain block, because there's only so much that strings can do for a guitar's tone.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
I use 10-52 Dunlops, I like how it keeps the tension more constant than a normal gauge where you would have much looser bass strings, which isn't suitable for my playing style. Thicker strings sound good and you get used to the bends, but watch out for over-bending notes when you play looser strings again.
Quote by metaldood91
Hi. Can someone tell me which guitars are real 24 fret guitars and which are just 22 fret guitars with 2 extra frets added on?

http://www.youtube.com/user/Joeseffel

Quote by smcstoronto1234

So very true...
Quote by Paddy McK
Try the same brands, but with .011s. Having said that, I only do this on my LP, there's just a little too much tension for me on a 25.5 guitar but it's worth a try

yeah. I use ernie balls 11-54 and I love them. they will have more sustain as they are tighter, and they will have a fuller tone to em.

ive got used to them, I bend them like they are 9s
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Dadario exl115
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Quote by pawnluv

Came in here to say this. However, I use the thicker gauge. The red pack. I am not a massive Gilmour fan but I saw these in the shop pretty cheap so I thought why not and they're amazing. They sound so good when you first put them on and they keep that sound for ages. Been using them for maybe two years now.
Ernie Ball Regular Slinky.

But i really want to try out the Ernie Ball Cobalt strings as soon as i get the chance.

Elixir Nanowebs are also great and last forever.
Rotosound yellows.

I've tried EB slinkys, but they don't seem to have that bright twangy sound that fresh Rotosounds have. It may just be due to shipping from the US and the fact that Rotosounds are made in the UK
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Godin Velocity
Peavey Vypyr 15 Watt
AMT WH1 Japanese Girl Wah
Marshall BB-2 Boost/OD
Joyo JF-07 Classic Flanger
Joyo JF-37 Analog Chorus
d'addarios or GHS boomers, .010-.046 (for electric)
though my strat came from the factory with .009's and i have yet to change them
my acoustics have .013's or .012's, phosphor-bronze, again usually d'addario. i use .012's on my yamaha cuz it's smaller and it's a '70 or a '71
Call me Chris
Quote by jimihendrix6699
had a blast until the person in front of me whipped out his dick and started pissing all over the floor..

Ducks and guitars or fish and guitars. I lead a simple existence
Ernie ball hybrids 9 - 46 on my les paul and Ernie ball regulars 9 - 42 on everything else.
When I first started out I used 11's because the heavier strings made drop tuned songs sound beefy. However now they just hold me back more than anything.
I use D'Addarrio 7-string set 9-54. I throw out the 16 though. I hate plain G's.
D'Addario 9-42 and 9-48 for drop D and open G.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
D'Addario seems to be pretty popular in my area and here also it seems.
Could anyone who has used Ernie ball and switched to D'Addario tell me if there is any Big difference? Enough to switch from EB to D'Addario?
I've been using Ernie ball strings for 10 years now. I think change is in order soon and would like to know if there is anything drastically different about the two.

I just bought some Slinky Cobalts today so I'll see how they measure up.
Just buy some and try them. It's not like it's a large amount of money. I don't think there is a lot of difference. I mainly use D'Addario because I can get them cheap.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by WtrPlyr
(Invalid img)

QFT.

Can we get something sticked somewhere? Strings are completely personal preference. Different people say different things about different strings, because people have different genetic makeups, and people react with the strings in different ways. You'll get one guy saying EB are absolute shit, and another guy who swears by them. Threads like this are completely useless, because it's impossible to get relevant opinions about strings.

They're cheap, and you have to change them out anyway. Just get different brands until you find you you really like.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I switched from EB to D'addarrios recently. Not much of a difference really.