Page 1 of 2
So I have been lurking the pit for a while and seen that a lot of helpful shit can actually come out of it. So I find myself in a shitty situation and I know that this is really not the good way out, but thanks to my stupidity I find myself having to write a paper on The Catcher in the Rye and it is due tomorrow. And I need some help/suggestions.
I need to write a paper that is 1000-1500 words and I wanted to write on the effects of the use of the word phonie. How it either effects the reader or adds to the theme of the novel.
I myself am no fan of doing other people's work on the internet but this is the only time I will do this and I really just need some ideas or inspiration for the paper!
So can anyone add to this idea on the word phonie or does anyone have any other good ideas/suggestions for an essay?
Dude it's just a book. The word "phonie" doesn't effect the reader. I'm sure it's been used before in literature. Just because so fag killed someone over it means nothing.
Quote by mybanez
Dude it's just a book. The word "phonie" doesn't effect the reader. I'm sure it's been used before in literature. Just because so fag killed someone over it means nothing.

Yes but I need to write a paper for a literature course and therefore I need to BS about something like that...
Pick something else to bullshit about. Sexual tension, disillusionment, failure, displacement, the bit when the word 'fuck' comes up. There are dozens of things to write about, the thing you've gone for isn't one of them.
He thinks everyone is a phonie, shows his lack of perception on the real world. Essentially, nothing is real to him.
Seeing as you said your word limit is between 1000 and 1500 words, it obviously isn't an important essay. Just bullshit.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
write about butters, and scrotie mcboogerballs.
Automatic A+
Life Sucks. Get over it.
I'm not sure that is really essay material... it's one word he uses meaning that he thinks people aren't genuine. That's one sentence, not an essay.
PM miss_ibanez
Father of ilikepirates And icesk8erqueen8
every man on here who tries to touch them will get his dick chopped off.

E-married to Shyne <3

Officialy has OddOneOut as e-sexslave
The dude is a kid who thinks he knows everything about the world. Write about his naivete and ignorance and how his perceptions change over the course of the book. Or how his sense of loneliness becomes more of understanding and acceptance.
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
I can't think of anything about that, but I can give you another idea, one which I think is central to the book.

Holden wants to be a guardian of sorts, preventing children from falling over the edge and into that phoniness/shit adult life, but as noble as it sounds, that's limiting free will. And so the book sparks a debate about ideas such as censorship. How much are we allowed to limit what kids see on TV or the internet? Because no one can prevent them from one day seeing it all and becoming adults. And even if we could keep children blind from this corrupted world, what are the moral implications?

maybe call your essay something like... real world implications of the Catcher in the Rye, or... thematic exploration and relevance of the Catcher in the Rye.
Last edited by SheKILaDZE at Mar 4, 2012,
Not your personal army.
Quote by element4433
Be subtle with it. Don't like molest him.

And cup his balls.

Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.
Quote by technicolour
Write about how he was the biggest phonie of them all, or how catcher in the rye sucked.

Quote by Thrill-house
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.

Quote by Dopemgs

P.S: You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome

Quote by PsiGuy60
PS. To Conor:
You like Lamb of God, so you're awesome.
[/desperateattempttogetsigged]
Just use a bunch of swear words and be a depressing little prick, and your teacher will think you're deep and meaningful.
Quote by technicolour
Write about how he was the biggest phonie of them all, or how catcher in the rye sucked.

This.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
That book was horrendous, I couldn't even finish it.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
I wrote 2,438 words on why Holden feels the need to remain immature.
Quote by Saint78
That's forever imprinted in my brain in Dwight's voice. Seriously.

Voted UG's best threadstarter 2014.
I'm gonna say it now. You couldn't write 500 words on that let alone 1500.

Take it from someone who's doing it at degree level.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Write about the contrast; he sees the world as phonies who aren''t being honest yet he contradicts it by lying his way through the whole book for his own entertainment.

When he bullshits with the woman on the train about her son who he thinks is a dick? That is the sort of phonie behaviour he cries about throughout the book.

His hypocrisy is overwhelming - which is why a lot of people dislike Holden when they read it.

I would write about his almost obsession with innocence. Take the view he has of his sister. I don't know if you've ever seen Code Geass? But the whole complex Lelouch has about Nunnally is the exact same - it's quite a common theme in such introverted characters like Holden.
Write about how much of a cunt Holden Caulfield is.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
I'm surprised no one's mentioned the guy who shot John Lennon yet. That'd be a legit paper.
Quote by CodChick
I'm surprised no one's mentioned the guy who shot John Lennon yet. That'd be a legit paper.

Maybe if there was evidence to suggest that he decided to shoot Lennon because he was reading it, but since there isn't it's really just an interesting fact. Not something that I think would be worth writing a paper about.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Maybe if there was evidence to suggest that he decided to shoot Lennon because he was reading it, but since there isn't it's really just an interesting fact. Not something that I think would be worth writing a paper about.

I remember watching a documentary once and it said the shooter was obsessed with the book and how everyone was being phonies and Lennon was the biggest one.

Quote by CodChick
I remember watching a documentary once and it said the shooter was obsessed with the book and how everyone was being phonies and Lennon was the biggest one.

I only said that because I read a book about the Beatles (The love you make was the title I think) and it was saying about how he was some lunatic Christian that was obsessed with John Lennon and wanted him dead because of the "Bigger than Jesus" comment.

Do you remember the name of that documentary?
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
I only said that because I read a book about the Beatles (The love you make was the title I think) and it was saying about how he was some lunatic Christian that was obsessed with John Lennon and wanted him dead because of the "Bigger than Jesus" comment.

Do you remember the name of that documentary?

I watched that documentary years ago. All I remember is that they really picked apart CITR its influence on the shooter.

I'll look for it right now.
Quote by CodChick

I think the first comment in the thread was alluding to that.
Quote by CodChick
I watched that documentary years ago. All I remember is that they really picked apart CITR its influence on the shooter.

I'll look for it right now.

Thanks. I would love to see it.
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Write about how much of a cunt Holden Caulfield is.

Whoah, what an original & controversial thing to say.
Quote by neidnarb11890
Whoah, what an original & controversial thing to say.

Never claimed it was original and I didn't mean for it to be controversial. I'm just making it known that I have a deep hatred for Holden Caulfield.
Quote by L2112Lif
Holden Caulfied has PTSD. i used to hate him, but now i get it.

plus, none of you were whiny twats at 16? really?
Quote by neidnarb11890
Write about how Holden's problems stem from the fact that he's a repressed homosexual.

Best post.

Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
Never claimed it was original and I didn't mean for it to be controversial. I'm just making it known that I have a deep hatred for Holden Caulfield.

Because you hate him, but see yourself in him, which only intensifies your aversion.
Quote by jakesmellspoo
Holden Caulfied has PTSD. i used to hate him, but now i get it.

plus, none of you were whiny twats at 16? really?

I don't care about his PTSD. His actions that are associated with that have nothing to do with me hating him. I hate him for the fact that he's an annoying hypocrite that deserves a punch in the nuts.

The funny thing is that I still love the book even though I feel that way I do about it's main character. I've probably read it 3-4 times now.
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by blake1221
Because you hate him, but see yourself in him, which only intensifies your aversion.

I see a few similarities between Holden and myself. Luckily (opinion ALERT!!!) the similarities I see are the things that I don't hate about Holden.
Quote by L2112Lif
Quote by IRISH_PUNK13
I see a few similarities between Holden and myself. Luckily (opinion ALERT!!!) the similarities I see are the things that I don't hate about Holden.

Keep telling yourself that.
Page 1 of 2