Hi guys,

I've had my C7 Hellraiser for a little over a year now, and as much as I love the thing I feel like I just don't have it set up properly.

I generally play it in Eb standard, so the low string is a Bb. I have it set up with 0.048-0.011s with a modified 0.070 bass string on the Bb. I set the intonation perfectly, and the action is decent- maybe 0.040-0.050" of travel to fret.

My problem is that I find it hard to gallop on the 0.070". The string simply vibrates too much, and it strikes the pick on rebound. I've tried practicing with a very light attack, paying close attention to the pick angle, and it's still a lingering problem. I don't have this problem at all on any of my guitars with a shorter scale length.

I'm watching videos of guys with other 7 strings, and they seem to have no problem with this. Is this a problem with setup or technique? I wish I could get the same tension out of this 7-string that I have with my 6-ers.
Last edited by CV334 at Mar 4, 2012,
You're using a .070? That's huge, dude.... A regular .010 7-string set only runs the 7th to 56; I have one of those on my guitars in a B, absolutely no issues whatsoever.

This could be your problem, have you tried a skinnier string for the seventh string?
Quote by Y00p
You're using a .070? That's huge, dude.... A regular .010 7-string set only runs the 7th to 56; I have one of those on my guitars in a B, absolutely no issues whatsoever.

This could be your problem, have you tried a skinnier string for the seventh string?

I did when I first got the guitar, and I don't remember it being any easier. I can always try swapping one back on to see if it makes a difference.

I looked up what string gauges some of my favorite 7-string guitarists use, and the 0.070" came up quite often. That's why I went that route.

What scale length is your 7-string?
Well I have an ESP F 7 string.....it's a 25.5 scale so it's hard to get the string tension tight. So I just buy a 6 string set (10-46) and then add a low .74 it worked great for me, now I don't feel like I am playing spaghetti.
Quote by CV334
Hi guys,

I generally play it in G-tuning (half-step down from E standard), so the low string is a Bb.

???
I think thats A#(Bb) standard.
Quote by JB95
???
I think thats A#(Bb) standard.

It is, but isn't it also g-tuning? I have a few charts laying around that I go by. Perhaps one is wrong.

*EDIT*

Chart is wrong. It sounded weird, but I went with it anyways.

Quote by Pg.inc_music
Well I have an ESP F 7 string.....it's a 25.5 scale so it's hard to get the string tension tight. So I just buy a 6 string set (10-46) and then add a low .74 it worked great for me, now I don't feel like I am playing spaghetti.

The C7H is a 26.5" scale length (but measures out at 27" for some reason), so it's a bit loose to begin with.

I tried an even thicker low string- up to 0.085 and it didn't make things any better.
Last edited by CV334 at Mar 4, 2012,
Quote by CV334
I did when I first got the guitar, and I don't remember it being any easier. I can always try swapping one back on to see if it makes a difference.

I looked up what string gauges some of my favorite 7-string guitarists use, and the 0.070" came up quite often. That's why I went that route.

What scale length is your 7-string?

It's not a seven-string... Just a sixer in a funny tuning. But I took a 7-string set to it and threw away the D-string, so it's a .56 and does absolutely everything I want it to...
Quote by Y00p
It's not a seven-string... Just a sixer in a funny tuning. But I took a 7-string set to it and threw away the D-string, so it's a .56 and does absolutely everything I want it to...

Ahh that'd explain it. Your 6-er probably has a shorter scale length than my 7.
Sheesh that's a high tension... around 22 pounds, I think. For B at 27", I just use a .056 for around 16.5 pounds. Try a thinner gauge for less tension? I use an .086 for E which is pretty much the same tension as my .056 at B, and I can tremolo pick that easily, so I'm sure it's not the thickness of the string that's causing it.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Larger strings need more space; this is why when you use a particularly heavy string gauge you raise the action slightly. It applies to all things though, not just the action and fret buzz. Your string is coming back and smacking your pick because it's just ridiculously, needlessly big. I really question the sanity of anyone who uses more than a .60 string for their low B, Bb or A string. Electric guitar machine heads are rarely made to take more than a .60 for good reason. Any more than that and you're just asking for a myriad of problems.

I'd suggest you try using a .60, or a .64 if you're hell-bent on playing on girders. I think you'll probably find most of your problems go away with a more reasonable string gauge.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
Larger strings need more space; this is why when you use a particularly heavy string gauge you raise the action slightly. It applies to all things though, not just the action and fret buzz. Your string is coming back and smacking your pick because it's just ridiculously, needlessly big. I really question the sanity of anyone who uses more than a .60 string for their low B, Bb or A string. Electric guitar machine heads are rarely made to take more than a .60 for good reason. Any more than that and you're just asking for a myriad of problems.

I'd suggest you try using a .60, or a .64 if you're hell-bent on playing on girders. I think you'll probably find most of your problems go away with a more reasonable string gauge.

I'll give it a shot.

I have the action set up nicely for what's there. Overall, this setup works well. It's just that tremolo and gallop picking the Bb string makes for a mess. Jeff Loomis uses an 0.070" on the same guitar and it works for him, so that's why I went that route. The 0.056" I had on there originally flapped in the wind.
I just spent a good hour analyzing my technique. I think it's all in technique... The 0.070" works great for everything except for them I'm doing a quick down and upstroke followed by chords up above. I'll do a quick gallop on the 7th and then a chord on the 4th, 5th, and 6th string and that's where I have trouble.

I'm thinking it's in the attack angle- the C7 Hellraisers have an odd height between the body and strings, unlike my PRS and C1 Hellraiser FR. The FR models are easier to anchor to....

Any suggestions?