Poll: Do you like/buy remastered albums?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you like/buy remastered albums?
Yes
28 74%
No
10 26%
Voters: 38.
Does the pit generally like or dislike remastered records? I see both sides. On one hand an album should be listened to the way it was made. On the other I see how enhancing sound could be a good thing
Gear:
Alesis Multimix 8 USB 2.0
Alesis DM6
Two Colling's acoustics (my dad's)
Ibanez SoundGear bass
Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue
Ovation 12-string (also dad's)
Sony 5.1 system
Ever listen to an 8-track tape or 38 speed record with scratches on a victrola.

I'm nostalgic but not that nostalgic.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

I buy them because often they're all that is available. I would get the originals given the choice though.
Up The Boro!
I don't hate it. I just don't like when they add a ton of extra tracks to it. especially when it's a really great album already. like Surrealistic Pillow, for example. classy record, but the five or so bonus cuts do not add to it in the slightest.
I like remastered albums. If the original albums sound like shit, then they should be remastered.
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Sometimes remastering can really add something new to the album, which can be interesting. Sometimes not. I think you'll have to examine each case individually.

I heard a Beatles remaster (of sorts) recently; an album called "Love" which is a new take on their songs. Even though I like the originals I appreciate a different angle.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Given the opportunity the artist would have probably wanted it to sound better. So if the remaster actually improves upon the sound (rather than just make it louder...) I don't see the problem. Besides, if we're talking about '70s album, CD's hadn't even been invented back then. You'd be doing it wrong regardless unless you managed to find an original vinyl anyway.

I mostly welcome bonus material unless it somehow fucks with the original tracklist. I can turn it off after the main album, so no harm, no foul there.There's a whole bunch of jazz reissues where alternative takes are added right after the primary take though, messes up the whole flow.

Edit: A while ago Pearl Jam reissued Ten and I liked the way they did that. They had always been unhappy with the mix, as it's very '80s sounding. So they included both a remastered version and a superior (although a little too loud, at times) remix. They also included a whole bunch of bonus tracks and redid the artwork (which they were also unhappy with).
Last edited by frankv at Mar 4, 2012,
It depends on the remaster.I'm not some audiophile digiphobe but most remasters are overcompressed and lose the magic of the originals
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
I typically can't tell the difference I'm not very audiophilic
Quote by Jearl
I don't hate it. I just don't like when they add a ton of extra tracks to it. especially when it's a really great album already. like Surrealistic Pillow, for example. classy record, but the five or so bonus cuts do not add to it in the slightest.

I don't mind bonus tracks, as long as they're on a seperate disc. My CD of Music From Big Pink (remastered as it just so happens) has alternate takes of almost the entire album and demos of songs that are much better on The Basement Tapes. I don't want those, so give me the option to not deal with those. When I'm playing it in my car I have to have the passenger restart the whole thing after I Shall Be Released because the outakes are boooriiiiiiiinggggggg
On the other hand, my CD of My Aim Is True has a second disc with some B-Sides and alternate versions and demos that are really interesting. But I don't always want to listen to them, so thankfully they're on another disc so I can listen to them optionally
The real issue with remasters vs originals is that, with the best intent, the originals are simply not as loud as remasters(or much newer stuff), so when your mp3 player is on shuffle, and you've turned it way up for one thing, the track finishes, and then the loud stuff comes on and your ears begin to bleed.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
The real issue with remasters vs originals is that, with the best intent, the originals are simply not as loud as remasters(or much newer stuff), so when your mp3 player is on shuffle, and you've turned it way up for one thing, the track finishes, and then the loud stuff comes on and your ears begin to bleed.

That's why us real music fans listen to full albums and not shuffle

trololo
Quote by Duffman123
That's why us real music fans listen to full albums and not shuffle

trololo

How dare you mock my spurious complaint?
I would usually always choose the remaster over the original, as long as its the original with enhanced sound and nothing done different (like re-doing the vocals)
I've a few albums that are remastered and I'd take them over the originals any day 'cause the mastering job on the originals was horrid.
Warning: The above post may contain lethal levels of radiation, sharp objects and sexiness.
Proceed with extreme caution!
It's whatever's available. I don't go out of my way to get either one. But I'd rather remastered if I had a choice.
On the one hand, I would rather listen to a well mastered album than a badly mastered album. On the other, I probably wouldn't re-buy an album just cause it's been re-mastered.

I'm indecisive. If I have the original one, I'll probably just download the re-mastered one, if I don't have the original, I'll just buy the new one.