In November I purchased a Blackstar HT20 combo, which I had been saving towards for around six months. I enjoyed the sound of it, and I used it for an hour to three hours a day, when I wasn't practicing technique on my acoustic. Early in January I left my only electric guitar in to the local music shop to have the frets stoned and polished, a process that for various reasons, meant I didn't play the amp at all for two weeks.

When I got my guitar back I plugged in and played for fifteen minutes, then a horrendous buzzing started. No signal from the guitar got through at all, it was just a wall of buzzing that happened on both channels, at various EQ and gain settings, with every cable I tried, with a spare power supply I had, and with a friend's guitar. Stumped, I took it to the shop where two different guys played through it with their own cables, guitars and power supplies.

It's now been in the shop for three weeks and they have been unable to fix it. They have said they will send it back to Blackstar, but I was talking to my teacher who teaches above the shop and he has discovered that the shop don't actually have a license to sell Blackstar products, and they haven't sent it to Blackstar for this reason. And obviously I haven't had an amp since I left it in, other than a Microcube which gets the job done, but it just doesn't provide the sound I want.

I have a few options here. Firstly, as the shop is trying to get rid of their remaining Blackstar stock, they offered my teacher's mate a Blackstar HT100 and matching 412 cab for £500. He declined and it's still there. What my teacher said was that I should offer the shop to swap the HT20 and £50 for the HT100 half stack, which will get it off their hands quickly. I like the idea of this, but 1) I'm not sure if it'll work, and 2) I'm not sure if I want another Blackstar HT product, simply because I'm worried I may get a similar problem.

I can also simply ask for my money back, which I also like the idea of, and adding the money I have now to give me a budget of around £550 for a new amp.

If you did read this, can you give me any advice on what I should do?

TL;DR, and if you didn't read it, may I ask for suggestions on a new amp, preferably not a Blackstar?

Budget? - Around £550

Genres? - Metal, such as Metallica, Machine Head, Arch Enemy and Trivium, some prog metal such as Dream Theater and Symphony X, and some rock/blues such as SRV, AC/DC

New or Used? - I'd prefer new, simply because the used selection here isn't amazing, and I can buy online.

Home or Gig? - Home practice, jamming with a drummer, and possibly school/music school talent shows.

Closest City? - Belfast, Northern Ireland

Current Gear? - Microcube, low to mid range Ibanez Art series with stock pickups.
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
i would try to get your money back. the fact it was dodgy wouldn't fill me with confidence about blackstar (also the ht series isn't all-valve, far as i'm aware), not to mention i'm not sure i'd want one not from an official dealer. You should still be ok in the eyes of the law (i think, don't quote me), but it might make things more awkward in the future if something goes wrong.

trying to think what you could get for metal at that budget... peavey 6505+ 112 combo, maybe. though it's made in china and i've only tried the USA-made heads. a laney gh50L would pretty sweet (i have one) but the prices have gone up recently. you'd be doing well to get the head alone for your budget (though it's worth keeping an eye out online as some shops still have old stock at old prices)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yeah, I've been leaning towards getting my money back and buying something else. My mother is a lawyer and she's pretty sure it'll be okay.

I had a look at the 6505, but I'm not a fan of the cleans, and I've read a that there are quality issues. I don't need Fender cleans, but I'd like something nice. Never seen the Laney, I'll check out a few demos, but like you say, I'm not that hopeful.

Another idea I had was getting the Orange Dark Terror and then a Harley Benton 212 cab with V30s, which I've heard are well built and rather good for the money, which would come up to around £550 including shipping. Any thoughts on this idea?
My stuff

Gibson Les Paul Studio
Ibanez ADC120
Tanglewood TGRF VS
Blackstar HT20
Roland Micro Cube
Peavey Valveking. If you don't try to pull the tubes out with pliers like me, it's a great amp. Has some pretty damn good cleans and can pull of Metallica without even using an OD. Gain turned down or OD into the clean and ACDC and SRV will be nailed.

Should be great for what you need.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQ4kCxNGhYE (Fade to Black cover to show cleans, distorted, and lead).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37PaEIy1sGU (Back in Black cover on it)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zX8bEBv9otE (bad quality Instinct Blues cover, which although is White Stripes, it's similar to SRV's tone)
Last edited by Wisthekiller at Mar 4, 2012,
Quote by lfcagger
(a)Yeah, I've been leaning towards getting my money back and buying something else. My mother is a lawyer and she's pretty sure it'll be okay.

(b) I had a look at the 6505, but I'm not a fan of the cleans, and I've read a that there are quality issues. I don't need Fender cleans, but I'd like something nice. (c) Never seen the Laney, I'll check out a few demos, but like you say, I'm not that hopeful.

(d) Another idea I had was getting the Orange Dark Terror and then a Harley Benton 212 cab with V30s, which I've heard are well built and rather good for the money, which would come up to around £550 including shipping. Any thoughts on this idea?

(a) ah ok, sweet. listen to her, then, don't listen to random eejits like me on a forum

(b) yeah their cleans aren't amazing. haven't heard about the quality issues (not that i've been looking) but it wouldn't surprise me.

(c) yeah it's a shame the prices have shot way up.

(d) that cab's meant to be good for the money but i haven't tried it. i haven't tried the dark terror either, but i wasn't that fussed on the tiny terror. how different the dark terror is, i have no idea.

another option might be a traynor ycv50b on thomann. it's fast becoming my stock recommendation for everyone in europe, lol, but it's just very good value. it actually was cheaper a while back (£400 iirc) but it's still well under budget. only thing is i'm not sure how heavy it gets- it'd need a boost and even then might still be struggling. but it'd kick ass for the lighter stuff you play. andwith a boost (or two) should get reasonably heavy (just to clarify, i've only tried the 40 watt version, which is very similar except 6L6 tubes and a worse speaker)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Maybe a Windsor?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I still really want a Windsor. If you can find one cheap (despite the fact they're dirt cheap now as it is ) I'd definitely hit that up.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--