Hi all, i ordered the above and a 4x12 and it arrived on Thursday. It's a fantastic amp but if i keep i will go deaf and fall out with my neighbours. I'm going to stay with my Orange TH30 and the 2x12 but is there pedal out that will give me a Marshall crunch/tone when i need it. What about this http://www.mieffects.com/CB.htm it sounds good on YouTube is it any good, thanks,,,Paul.
The Orange should be able to give you Marshall crunch?

I've heard good things about the Crunch Box, though - But using a distortion pedal with that amp seems silly.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I've heard that the TH30 has a darker response when Rockerverb has a little bit brighter, if that's what he is after. Also, it's voiced for metal, at least according to Orange. http://www.orangeamps.com/th30-head/

However TS, you can't use the 2x12 and your Marshall? Or get a THD Hotplate? Then you'll have all the good things without too much volume.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Mar 4, 2012,
the marshall isn't that loud
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by EspTro
the marshall isn't that loud

You fail to see the fact that we are talking about residential volume. Which yes, any 4x12 is too loud. And keeping the volume too low will underpower the speakers and damage them.

TS, if you play out fairly often I'd just return the head and put the Orange on top. Can you disengage the Orange speakers from the preamp so you can use it like a head?
My Gear:
Carvin DC400C
Schecter Damien Elite 7 string
Boss Metalzone
Laney GH120 Head
Rhino 4x12 Celestion
-OG-UG'ER-
Put this in your sig if you've been a member over half a decade!
Quote by Sakke
I've heard that the TH30 has a darker response when Rockerverb has a little bit brighter, if that's what he is after. Also, it's voiced for metal, at least according to Orange. http://www.orangeamps.com/th30-head/

However TS, you can't use the 2x12 and your Marshall? Or get a THD Hotplate? Then you'll have all the good things without too much volume.

Beat me to it haha.

And I didn't think of the HotPlate! Those things are cool!

Review ---> http://www.amptone.com/thdhotplate.htm
My Gear:
Carvin DC400C
Schecter Damien Elite 7 string
Boss Metalzone
Laney GH120 Head
Rhino 4x12 Celestion
-OG-UG'ER-
Put this in your sig if you've been a member over half a decade!
Thanks for the quick answers guys, i can't obtain the Marshall crunch with this amp on it's own. What i just tried was to turn on the wah wah pedal and this makes the tone very different and gives it a lot more crunch a bit like G&R Nightrain using a LP.
4x12 =/= louder than 2x12s in all cases. Sure, it will move more air and sound fuller, but the efficiency of the speakers also come into play. My 2x12 is noticeably louder than either of my 4x12s, at the same volume level on my 5150.

Even if your 4x12 is louder, why couldn't you just plug it into the 2x12 you already have? 50w really isn't that much louder than 30w.

If you're looking for a less dark sound, maybe try some kind of boost instead (treble booster would probably work nicely, or hell, even just an EQ in the loop). No sense in buying a whole new expensive head, when the one you have is already close enough to mold it into the other sound you're after
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Keep the Marshall, and get the Hot Plate. It will allow you to drive the Marshall's power section at a reasonable volume (definitely necessary for a 50w plexi) and give you that classic Marshall crunch. I personally can't see an Orange giving those tones.

The "4x12's are always too loud" post is bullshit. Steaming bullshit. More speakers =/= more volume. I can run my 100w tube head and 4x12 cab at bedroom levels with ease.

Of course, if your neighbors are paranoid intolerant assholes, a 4x12 looks louder to non-guitarists and is more likely to start a fight than a 2x12.
Last edited by Ian_the_fox at Mar 4, 2012,
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
You fail to see the fact that we are talking about residential volume. Which yes, any 4x12 is too loud. And keeping the volume too low will underpower the speakers and damage them.

TS, if you play out fairly often I'd just return the head and put the Orange on top. Can you disengage the Orange speakers from the preamp so you can use it like a head?

u fail too see that i AM talking about residential volume. i run this same head through an oversize 4x12.

using a 2x12 isn't going to make things any quieter. and a 30w amp and a 50 w amp arent huge jumps in volume.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
The gear is being picked up tomorrow so what would you guys suggest to try and get the Marshall crunch?
AMT M-1 pedal, its a JCM 800 in a box, but it goes in you FX retun because it is a actual preamp. They also have the M-Drive which goes in front of your clean ch.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Hang on. Vintage Marshall or Vintage Modern?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
And keeping the volume too low will underpower the speakers and damage them.

Wait. What???
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
Honest question, for those who recommended the Hot plate... do any of you guys actually own this device and actually know how it sounds? Hot plate sounds awful for bringing a 50 watt Marshall down to bedroom volumes. It is really just not that functional for that sort of purpose. I use one and it is good for knocking a few db off the sound for gigs but once you get down to reasonable bedroom volumes, it sounds atrocious. Thin, buzzy and compressed.
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 5, 2012,
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
And keeping the volume too low will underpower the speakers and damage them.

Seriously? No.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by Cathbard
Hang on. Vintage Marshall or Vintage Modern?

+1

Big difference.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by paul w1
This was the amp a Marshall 2266 Vintage Modern 50 Watt All Valve Head. Now should i go for the http://www.mieffects.com/CB.htm or the AMT M-1 pedal.

Go for a THD Hot Plate.. or am I already too late?
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.