I just put a set of 8 gauge strings on my guitar. The thinnest string broke when i tried to stretch it and they wouldnt stay in tune. Is this normal for 8 guage? Also when i tried to put the strings on all of them wound about once. Is this normal? Most of the times when ive changed the strings they wind around the post about 3 times? Why did this happen with these strings? Thanks
I'm not sure what you mean about the windings. You just need more slack when you start so you can wind them around the post more. As for the breakage, what scale neck do you have? 8 gauge is really thin and easier to break.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
8's are pretty wimpy, I wouldn't try to stretch them. Instead, tune them up to about F Standard and then back to E and they should stay in tune a little better.
It's much better for your own development as a guitarist to use thicker strings though, it strengthens your fingers playing on higher gauges. I use at least 10's on 6 string.
Quote by OfCourseNot
I'm not sure what you mean about the windings. You just need more slack when you start so you can wind them around the post more. As for the breakage, what scale neck do you have? 8 gauge is really thin and easier to break.

22x jumbo.
Quote by JESSEUMOETTE
22x jumbo.

That's not the scale length. What guitar are you using?
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by JESSEUMOETTE

OK, 2 questions:
1: Have you economised by buying really cheap strings?
2: Do you really need 8s? I would never use anything less than 10s myself, and unless you're tuning up, there really isn't any need to go thinner than 9s
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
Quote by JESSEUMOETTE
22x jumbo.

How many inches?
24.5? 25.25? Measurements like that.

Edit: Ninja'd. Disregard.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
Quote by Paddy McK
OK, 2 questions:
1: Have you economised by buying really cheap strings?
2: Do you really need 8s? I would never use anything less than 10s myself, and unless you're tuning up, there really isn't any need to go thinner than 9s

No it was just something i decided to experiment with. They were about 6$
Quote by JESSEUMOETTE
No it was just something i decided to experiment with. They were about 6$

I'm not sure exactly how much that is in £, but it seems pretty cheap. Cheap strings are never worth buying in my experience because they don't last.
My advice would be go back to 9s or 10s, and only buy strings from a decent brand (Ernie Ball, D'addario, Rotosound etc).
My Soundcloud
You are not a spider-pig, and you can't play with spider web strings, go for 11's.