Hey, I wanna get a new mid-level guitar and as far as I looked up on the internet, these 2 meed my closest needs:

PRS SE Korina: http://prsguitars.com/sesinglecutkorina/#
and
Jackson SLXT: http://jacksonguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=2916202503

I love Megadeth, Eric Johnson, Joe Satriani, Marty Friedman, Judas Priest

What I'm looking for is a durable, reliable and quality instrument. So which one is better at these points?

I like that the PRS has a korina body and neck, but I don't like that it's only got 22 frets

And the Jackson...don't really like the basswood body, but it's got 24 frets.
There’s a star in the northern sky
Captivating me as I walk by
Showing me what I can become
Leave behind what is lost or won
I'd go for the PRS, no doubt about it.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Jackson, i played a PRS in a music shop and i didn't like it at all was really noisy when i was moving my hand around which is a problem i've never came across on any other guitar.
.(....\................/....)
. \....\............. /..../
...\....\.........../..../
....\..../´¯.l.¯`\..../
..../... l....l....(¯ `\
...l......l....l.....\....\
...l......l´¯.l´¯.l \....\
...\......` ¯..¯ ´......|
....\__________./
Quote by AlanD
Play them both and see which one feels the best.

That would be ideal indeed, but I have to order them from another country cause there aren't around here.
That PRS looks awesome.
PRS SE Custom 24 w/ Seymour Duncan JB and Jazz Pickups
Squire Classic Vibe Stratocaster

Digitech Bad Monkey

Pignose 7100 Legendary Amplifyer
Quote by Sign of War
Jackson, i played a PRS in a music shop and i didn't like it at all was really noisy when i was moving my hand around which is a problem i've never came across on any other guitar.

You played "a" PRS dont judge them all on a poor model, I've found PRS's to be more consistant in terms of quality and durability than Jackson's. I work in a guitar shop and get to play both brands regularly.

That PRS will do you well for what you play TS I would also suggest looking at some Fender Blacktop's, the Jaguar or Telecaster with humbuckers (not p90's) would also be a great choice
If your ordering them from another country don't get the PRS if there's anything up with that wraparound bridge there maybe **** all you can do about it.

I'd suggest the Jackson maybe closer to the sound your looking for given you list metal predominately.
SMILE!
Last edited by Mr.DeadDuck at Mar 4, 2012,
Undoubtedly the PRS.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
You played "a" PRS dont judge them all on a poor model, I've found PRS's to be more consistant in terms of quality and durability than Jackson's. I work in a guitar shop and get to play both brands regularly.

That PRS will do you well for what you play TS I would also suggest looking at some Fender Blacktop's, the Jaguar or Telecaster with humbuckers (not p90's) would also be a great choice

I would've loved a fender. But I only play fixed bridge guitars and well the Billy Corgan sig model is out of my price range
PRS for sure. 22 frets usually won't make a big difference whereas the type of wood make a huge difference. Couldn't you jet get a PRS SE Custom 24?
Quote by Icy_Lights
I would've loved a fender. But I only play fixed bridge guitars and well the Billy Corgan sig model is out of my price range

Well the Jaguar has a very similar "feel" to a Stratocaster but has a Fixed Bridge, like that PRS

Its hard to describe... Imagine a guitar that had a sleek, comfortable, Strat like body, then has a HUGE Les Paul/PRS Singlecut sound, thats basically the Blacktop Jaguar
I'd save more money but given the choice probably the jackson because it has better fret access (I'm a lead junkie) but it's your choice... I have a les paul myself but I hope to get a custum24 or 513 soonish... food for thought.
Fender Contemporary Stratocaster, MIJ, SSS pups, white, maple neck
ESP M-100FM, dark red, flamed maple
Crate V33 212 Tube Combo (O'l reliable)

And various effects used for inter-dimensional space travel
jackson suits your music taste better but from personal experience I can say that the PRS is the better guitar, IMO
Quote by Capt_Clarkson
Well the Jaguar has a very similar "feel" to a Stratocaster but has a Fixed Bridge, like that PRS

Its hard to describe... Imagine a guitar that had a sleek, comfortable, Strat like body, then has a HUGE Les Paul/PRS Singlecut sound, thats basically the Blacktop Jaguar

The Jaguar is interesting indeed, but it's got a short scale sadly
I'm a PRS fanboi for sure, and feel pretty confident in usually saying "Go with the PRS -- you won't be disappointed!" But those guitars are pretty different from one another...

Key differences of PRS SE Korina SC vs. Jackson Soloist:
  • Body style (Single cut vs. Double cut)
  • Neck wood (Korina vs. Maple)
  • Number of frets (22 vs. 24)
  • Scale length (25 vs. 25.5)
  • Neck profile (Wide Fat vs. Speed (thin))
  • Body wood (Korina vs. Basswood)
  • Pickups (Passive vs. Active)
Not sure why you're going after the Korina. Nothing wrong with it, to be sure. But if I were going to find something to compare to the Jackson (and the type of music you're enjoy) I'd suggest looking at the Nick Catanese model. It's a single cut with a fixed bridge and EMGs. http://prsguitars.com/senickcatanese/index.php

Anyway, if I only had the two choices you gave, considering the type of music you're interested in I'd say go for the Jackson. But I'd also say the PRS would serve you well -- but the Jackson would be a bit better for shredding, if that's your thing. I personally don't have those skills, liking 22 fret models better (and I like wide fat necks)...
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Last edited by richardlpalmer at Mar 5, 2012,
Out of all the guitars in the world, you ended up deciding between these two? They're different in almost every way!

Answer these questions, and we'll be able to recommend some stuff to you. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497696
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I couldn't say because they're too different from one another.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by Offworld92
Out of all the guitars in the world, you ended up deciding between these two? They're different in almost every way!

Answer these questions, and we'll be able to recommend some stuff to you. https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497696

Okay, here goes:
Budget: Around 1000$
Fav Artists: Marty Friedman, Eric Johnson, Megadeth, Joe Satriani, Europe, Judas Priest
Preferences: Body shape: Anything except V's/ Neck Profile: not too thin not too thick/ Brands: Anything except gibson/epiphone and ibanez/ Frets: 22 or 24/ Wood: Something that sounds warmer(like mahogany and korina)
Pickups: H-H configuration
New Guitar
Romania
This should be excellent for what you want, if you can get along with the aesthetics. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-ltd-mh-1000-qtnt-electric-guitar

But I have to ask, is that $1000 USD? What site are you going to use to order from? Or are there shops near you?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Icy_Lights
Okay, here goes:
Budget: Around 1000$
Fav Artists: Marty Friedman, Eric Johnson, Megadeth, Joe Satriani, Europe, Judas Priest
Preferences: Body shape: Anything except V's/ Neck Profile: not too thin not too thick/ Brands: Anything except gibson/epiphone and ibanez/ Frets: 22 or 24/ Wood: Something that sounds warmer(like mahogany and korina)
Pickups: H-H configuration
New Guitar
Romania

Well, with that in mind I retract my statement -- get the PRS Korina (or the model I suggested originally).
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Quote by Offworld92
This should be excellent for what you want, if you can get along with the aesthetics. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/esp-ltd-ltd-mh-1000-qtnt-electric-guitar

But I have to ask, is that $1000 USD? What site are you going to use to order from? Or are there shops near you?

Thanks for the suggestion but trust me, I looked over a lot of guitars. Schecter, ESP, LTD, Parker, Ibanez, Music Man, Carvin, Charvel, etc. And it all came down to those 2 I mentioned.
I forgot to mention that I currently own a low-end Jackson JS30 Kelly. Great guitar for the price.
I think I'm going to get the PRS and later the Jackson SLS 3.

Yeah I have around 1000 USD. I'm buying from a site www.thomann.de and not from my local vendors because most of them are crooks.