I'm looking to upgrade to a better amp, but I've been rather unsure on what to do. I can come up with probably about $600 to spend on an amp. I was looking at finding something used, such as a Marshall DSL or a Blackstar Ht-60, but then I thought about the Line 6 stuff. I began looking into their recent POD developments and found the HD500. My question is, could I find a decently versatile tube amp that sounds better than the HD500 for that price, or would the HD500 be better if that is all the money I can push out (the Line 6 has the pedals and stomp boxes and such but I mean which would would most likely have distortion and clean settings that sound better: a tube amp or the Line 6?)?

As far as desired tones go, I play classic rock like Zeppelin and Hendrix, and old school metal like Iron Maiden and Slayer. I tend to lean towards a vintage Marshall sound. I'm not sure if a HD500 could do that, and do it better than something like a DSL?
Are you playing live, or just at home?
Do you have any additional pedals?
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
I do play live.
And I have a Crybaby wahwah, MXR Phase 90, and a Korg Pitchblack + tuning pedal.
Last edited by Thermon at Mar 4, 2012,
Hands down the Marshall DSL-100, for the plain fact the DSL has a nice master volume control on it that has great tones all over the volume control, you don't need to have it balls out to get a good bedroom tone. The DSL also features some of the best Marshall cleans. Hands down The Marshall, you'll look like a fool to your peers buying a Line6 that has a bunch of mediocre effects & tones.

Also check into the Marshall Vintage Modern, an extremely good tube amp ;-)
2 Jay Turser JT-220 Les Paul Copys W/ Seymore Duncan Alnico 2 Pro pick ups.
2008 Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 100 Watt tube amp
1966 Fender Bandmaster Tube amp with 2 2x12 cabs
Effects- Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss GE-7 EQ, Boss RV-3 Reverb/Delay
Last edited by SlashWannabe1 at Mar 4, 2012,
Considering I'd have to buy a cab, I'm afraid that's probably a little bit out of my price range :/
I guess I should have specified I meant the DSL combo amp, so sorry about that.
Quote by Thermon
Considering I'd have to buy a cab, I'm afraid that's probably a little bit out of my price range :/
I guess I should have specified I meant the DSL combo amp, so sorry about that.

You can get 4x12 cabs cheap for like $100 at your local pawn store, trade your ipod for one, thats what I did lol. Its better to make investments in tone than to buy middle of the road gear which ends up costing you more money trying to get it to sound good.

Even still a combo DSL will kill the Line6.
I have a MGDFX250 (that should pretty well explain why I'm wanting to upgrade lol), and I would be happy to trade it in, it's in great condition so I could probably get a few hundred for that. I could maybe get a little bit of money for my Roland Microcube, since I don't use it at all really (I have a Fender Mustang II that is better and they have about the same uses).

My worry would be that the DSL would be too loud for home use. Is that the case?
Peavey Windsor head (JCM 800 clone)$299 new at a lot of stores. And get a diecent 2x12 cab with the other $300.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Thermon
I have a MGDFX250 (that should pretty well explain why I'm wanting to upgrade lol), and I would be happy to trade it in, it's in great condition so I could probably get a few hundred for that. I could maybe get a little bit of money for my Roland Microcube, since I don't use it at all really (I have a Fender Mustang II that is better and they have about the same uses).

My worry would be that the DSL would be too loud for home use. Is that the case?

I doubt you'll get more than $100 trade in for your MG
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I doubt you'll get more than $100 trade in for your MG

Maybe. They were about $500 new, so I'd hope that I'd get something back from making the mistake of buying it when I was clueless about tone and was like "Ooo Marshall, must have!". Anyways, $100 is better than nothing.
Quote by Thermon

DSL100 with a 4x12 will be fine for home use, I loved it in the music store at whisper volumes, and for gigs it was a beast. My main amp is a Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 100 watt Tube amp and that is exceptional at lower volumes as well, but it was made for high volume ;-) The JCM 800s would blow your ears out at home use cuz of the volume pots caught volume quicker than later Marshalls.
Quote by Thermon
Maybe. They were about $500 new, so I'd hope that I'd get something back from making the mistake of buying it when I was clueless about tone and was like "Ooo Marshall, must have!". Anyways, $100 is better than nothing.

I hear you, its just the resale is maybe $250 and stores always like to lowball you with trade ins. You should beable to sell it and get more than a trade in.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by SlashWannabe1
DSL100 with a 4x12 will be fine for home use, I loved it in the music store at whisper volumes, and for gigs it was a beast. My main amp is a Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 100 watt Tube amp and that is exceptional at lower volumes as well, but it was made for high volume ;-) The JCM 800s would blow your ears out at home use cuz of the volume pots caught volume quicker than later Marshalls.

I have a friend with a JCM800 and it is LOUD, so yeah, that's why I was unsure. What kind of cab should I get with it? I'm used to combo amps, so I'm not really sure.
Yeah, just put it on Craigslist, Kajiji, Gumtree (depending on your location) and I'm sure you'll get a kid to buy it because "It's a Marshall!"
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Yeah, just put it on Craigslist, Kajiji, Gumtree (depending on your location) and I'm sure you'll get a kid to buy it because "It's a Marshall!"

Pretty much what I did I could sell it for maybe $225 or so? I'm gonna have to save up anyways for the rest of the cost of the DSL (highly considering doing that) so it'll be a ways off before I sell the MG. The prices for the DSL used seem to end up $650-$750. Figuring the rest of the cost I guess it is just a matter of finding a decent cab, however much that may cost.

I could maybe get another $40 out of my Microcube?
Probably, depends on your area.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Now to decide what cabinet to get... I'm assuming it does make a considerable difference?
a used Marshall 1936 or Avatar 2x12 cab. Greenbacks, 12T75, V30 would do it alright.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
DSL's have a master volume. Sure they don't sound quite as good at bedroom levels but so what? You don't need mood lighting to masterbate do you?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
DSL's have a master volume. Sure they don't sound quite as good at bedroom levels but so what? You don't need mood lighting to masterbate do you?

Maybe I do!

TS, Marshall 1960 cabs go for $300-400 pretty often on CL.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X