Sunn has been that way for at least the past 6 years.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??
What the hell is wrong with the thread title. Seriously. What was going through your head when you wrote it?
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
yeah, sunn is hipster crap.

that is why i dote over this thing

*note, i am not referring to my friends trendy ass H&K

sunn stuff is awesome, i was like totally into it before everyone else...

it also has balls to spare and can be used for demolition work in lieu of a wrecking ball (and it sounds better than the wrecking ball). i also hope guts like this also start becoming trendy.

nice amps, who gives a shit if they are trendy. if you have one, then you're lucky.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Mar 4, 2012,
sunns are more for doom, sludge, stoner stuff. I've never seen indie bands with sunns.
hipsters are still stuck on their siver face fenders.
Quote by rokket2005
sunns are more for doom, sludge, stoner stuff. I've never seen indie bands with sunns.

they get that rep for doom and stoner rock, but i find sunn amps to be incredibly versatile. i also don't know of any vintage sunn models that come with what people in contemporary times consider 'distortion'.

i can play any of the music i have written on my sunn and it sounds great. the reverb is quite different from other models and the tremelo is very era-specific. my 1200S could kick out some killer country licks.

-ae
^ i have no doubt that they are versatile, my experience with every sunn ive heard or tried though is that it had tons of low end. In the context of this thread, I've never heard a band in an indie genre have a guitar sound with lots of lows, always bright piercing tone. I live in TC, MN too,, so theres no shortage of indie bands.
Quote by rokket2005
^ i have no doubt that they are versatile, my experience with every sunn ive heard or tried though is that it had tons of low end. In the context of this thread, I've never heard a band in an indie genre have a guitar sound with lots of lows, always bright piercing tone. I live in TC, MN too,, so theres no shortage of indie bands.

they can def handle about all the low end you can throw at it. surprisingly, it can get pretty piercing too, most people don't use it for that though. in fact, i'd say the naturally tendency of the amp (with no pedals and EQ at high noon) is actually a bit 'tinny' sounding with lots of mids (i can't even use the 'mids' boost on it)

-ae
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Sunns designs are very interesting and most of their stuff was originally bass amps. Which makes total since because their founder was a bassist who built his own rig before a tour. Another neat feature of Sunn is a lot of their power amps are direct copies of hifi power amps. In other words, their doomy tone is coming purely from the preamp in most cases.

Sunns are very versatile amps. Everyone from Kurt Cobain to Hendrix have used them.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
No, but I hear starting pointless threads is pretty vogue.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...