Performance art is ridiculous.

What is art? There have, in human history, been people who have had themselves shot in the arm and called it a piece of art. Here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JE5u3ThYyl4&feature=related

Is that art? There's also another one of some girl fingering herself with expired spaghettios that I forgot the name of, and another one of somebody getting a haircut.

What about this:

Quote by Wikipedia
Seedbed is a performance piece first performed by Vito Acconci on 15–29 January 1972 at Sonnabend Gallery in New York.

In the piece, there is a low wooden ramp merging with the floor. The ramp extends across the width of the room, beginning two feet up the side of one wall and slanting down to the middle of the floor.

In his original performance of the piece, Acconci lay hidden underneath the ramp installed at the Sonnabend Gallery, masturbating. The artist's spoken fantasies about the visitors walking above him were heard through loudspeakers in the gallery.

"In this legendary sculpture/performance Acconci lay beneath a ramp built in the Sonnabend Gallery. Over the course of three weeks, he masturbated eight hours a day while murmuring things like, "You're pushing your **** down on my mouth" or "You're ramming your **** down into my ass." Not only does the architectural intervention presage much of his subsequent work, but all of Acconci's fixations converge in this, the spiritual sphincter of his art. In Seedbed Acconci is the producer and the receiver of the work's pleasure. He is simultaneously public and private, making marks yet leaving little behind, and demonstrating ultra-awareness of his viewer while being in a semi-trance state." - Jerry Saltz

I went to the Atlanta's fancy art museum a month or so ago, and on the contemporary floor they had a piece which was 20 huge sheets of glass stacked up together and hung on the wall. In the National Museum of Art in Washington D.C. I saw a giant room with 14 massive blank canvasses hung on the walls, and the piece was called 14 blank canvasses or something like that.

Pretty much everyone here would call themselves an artist in some form or fashion, so this discussion should be important to you: What constitutes art? Why do you make art? If art is supposed to be an expression of human experience, a medium to be used as a tool to enrich our lives and provoke our thoughts, then does nihilism have any place in it?

Also, post more terrifying examples of ridiculous art.
Today I feel electric grey
I hope tomorrow, neon black
Last edited by Ganoosh at Mar 4, 2012,
Joseph Beuys once put 5kg of butter on the ceiling of his studio and called it "Fettecke" ("fat corner"). This shit is retarded.
Quote by blue_strat
This is Germany we're talking about.

Germany

Quote by stoner179
Thanks alot. When i read the first sentence, i dont know why, but i laughed in the middle of my first class at tech school. You sir have made me look like a fool for the first and last time
There's also The Artist is Present, where an artist was placed in a museum and sat completely still at a table for 731 consecutive hours.
I remember reading about a guy who found a dog on the street or something and then put the dog inside an exhibit and told no-one to feed it. The dog died.
I liked one where people stood inside pianos with holes cut in them, and pushed them around while playing them.

Generally not a big fan of it though. Not much of the performance art I know of does any of the things that makes art great.

Quote by devourke
I remember reading about a guy who found a dog on the street or something and then put the dog inside an exhibit and told no-one to feed it. The dog died.

The dog was fed, but he told people that it wasn't. The idea being that people would think it incredibly cruel if it happened in an art gallery, but wouldn't give a shit about it happening in the street. I think.
Last edited by whalepudding at Mar 4, 2012,
i was about to write a response, but I'm not gonna bother.
I've tried countless times to debate art here but no one is ever interested in the other side of the discussion and it just ends up with people saying how they like dali and anything that isn't a painting isn't proper art and is a waste of time.

i mean you're having trouble with something 40 years old, like punk music or something.

art is a discussion, people react to the world. if you are interested in what humans think then read a book and spend some time learning the language.
if you don't then don't moan about the people who do care.
now extra flamey
Quote by whalepudding
I liked one where people stood inside pianos with holes cut in them, and pushed them around while playing them.

Generally not a big fan of it though. Not much of the performance art I know of does any of the things that makes art great.

The dog was fed, but he told people that it wasn't. The idea being that people would think it incredibly cruel if it happened in an art gallery, but wouldn't give a shit about it happening in the street. I think.

Well that makes it a lot better
Quote by Ikey
I've tried countless times to debate art here but no one is ever interested in the other side of the discussion and it just ends up with people saying how they like dali and anything that isn't a painting isn't proper art and is a waste of time.

i mean you're having trouble with something 40 years old, like punk music or something.

art is a discussion, people react to the world. if you are interested in what humans think then read a book and spend some time learning the language.

Nicely put.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
When in doubt, blame Yoko Ono.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by devourke
Well that makes it a lot better

The dog was fed and the starvation was a lie on the artist's part

I think that makes it better
it's what you make of it, art is only as meaningful as you make it.

art is just placing an audience in a "glimpse" of your own ****ed up subconscious hellhole. Some people's mental wastes are less interesting

you can compare releasing a work of art, a song you wrote, a drawing you finished etc, like finally taking that massive dump you've been holding in during school or work i guess.
Quote by whalepudding

The dog was fed and the starvation was a lie on the artist's part

I think that makes it better

That's what I said. Why are you wtfing? I feel like I missed a joke
so uh...no source on the girl?

edit: lol i was joking, i dont actually care. im kinda scared to look it up, its probably some ugly hairy older woman with long nails and a dark red wrinkly vagina doing the most unattractive fingerly movements making the grossest moaining sounds.
Last edited by jrcsgtpeppers at Mar 4, 2012,
Quote by whalepudding
Sorry, I read that post in a sarcastic voice despite not being prompted to.

Oh I see now.

Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
so uh...no source on the girl?

Interior Semiotics is the video with the girl fingering herself
Quote by Ikey

The two examples I cited are 40 years old, but people like Marina Abramovic are still doing it today, in fact she performed that very seedbed piece a couple of years ago, and besides the age of a piece of art is completely irrelevant.

I'd like to hear your response though. I just don't understand why anybody would put a bunch of blank canvasses on a wall as an exhibit that's meant for people to view for pleasure and expect anybody to get something out of it. In my opinion, one of the most important parts of art is the interaction between the artist and the audience and the ability to express things on the part of the artist that will convey something meaningful. If there's no possible way to understand the meaning or emotion behind a piece of art without having someone explain it to you, then it no longer has any value. Many of those performance art pieces seem to be shock-value stunts that are just thought up in an effort to be as weird as possible, but then they have really complex ideas behind them. I'm not saying the ideas are worthless, but the art itself is worthless because it doesn't convey those ideas. I don't gain anything by watching a man be shot in the arm or by looking at a blank canvas because there are no footholds that would help me tie anything about those things to anything else. That's my complaint about it all.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 73-78
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 2-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 24-7
Quote by Ikey

thank you.

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
The blank canvas one is like releasing a silent album and expecting people to pay for it. It's pointless.

I understand that people have opinions and appreciate things differently, but shoving rotten spaghettios up your vag is not art, it's sick.

Edit: I was referencing "Interior Semiotics" for the last one.
Quote by WCPhils
According to that chart, women like men with a Pringle canister down there.
Michael Kelly Patriot Glory
Ibanez RG8
Blackstar HT 20 w/ Jet City cab
whole bunch o' pedals
Quote by Ikey

Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Quote by moscaespañol
thank you.

What do you mean thank you? He barely even said anything, and I agree with what he did say.

I was just saying that if you shit on the sidewalk and call it art, then that doesn't make it art. For something to have artistic value it has to be able to actually communicate discernible ideas to the audience that are meaningful and can provide them with insight into both the mind of the artist and about the world around them. Art for it's own sake or for the sake of the artist's own satisfaction shouldn't ever be on public display, because nobody will take anything away from the experience; hanging blank canvases on the wall is a waste of everybody's time.
Quote by Ganoosh
What do you mean thank you? He barely even said anything, and I agree with what he did say.

I thanked (thunk?) him for posting what I was about to post so I didn't have to post it.

I never had a defined understanding of art but after reading this thread I think I may have found it. Most people think art is the physical piece but I've come to find that art isn't the physical product but the perception in which a person views the product. People express their view on the art with each other and discuss it in a positive or a negative way. Generally the more positive ones (such as Dali's work) are considered art whereas the negative ones (me pooping on a persons face while he sleeps) aren't. I think that most artists want to provoke thought in as many folks as possible. I'm sure a lot of artists want to create a negative reaction as well. Perhaps have them discuss the physical representation of their creative being.
^
Quote by due 07
so much determination tho...

*derported

Quote by Ikey

I completely agree with everything in this post.
e-married to Jack (bladez)
It really pisses me off when someone blows things off as "not art" or say "I can do x and say it's art" simply because it doesn't entice their interest, and they think their opinion is universal. When in fact they are too stupid to even grasp the concept of art.

Not necessarily talking about people in here, I know a lot of people in real life like this though.
Quote by beadhangingOne
What happened to Snake?

Snake?

Snake?

SNAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAKE?!

Quote by TunerAddict
you can take my mouse and keyboard from my cold, slightly orange from cheetos, dead fingers

Quote by Baby Joel
Isis is amazing
For me to call it art, the artist has to leverage aesthetic control to communicate a particular idea. For me to call it good art, that same thing has to happen, but the aesthetic control has to demonstrate great skill. the idea has to be a pretty good one, and the act of communication has to be not only effective, but engaging and wonderful in it's own right.

I think lots and lots of performance art meets the former criteria and a couple pieces manage to meet the latter as well--the same is true for pretty much all artistic media.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Mar 5, 2012,