Hey all, I have an Alvarez electric 4-string bass. Its probably 15-20 years old and has "Made By EMG" passive pickups in it. It had an active preamp circuit board in it but after countless others hacking away at it and finally bypassing it when i received it i dropped in the EMG BQC Controls.

Now, I still have the old "Made By EMG" pickups in it and its the PJ style pickup system. This bass sounds pretty awesome but definately gets noisier than i like. I play mostly metal music but i am currently playing with the church band. I am wondering what set of pickups i should drop in this bad boy? I was originally thinking the EMG PJ set but thats just my "GOTO". Wouldnt mind trying something new out.

This is the preamp i have in it now which should work with either active or passive pickups (Currently Passive) -
http://www.emgpickups.com/products/index/105/146/4

Thanks in advance and let me know if you need any more info..
In my experience, EMG P/J passives suck rocks. The tone is absolutely lifeless, and the P-bass pickup is so much more powerful than the J-bass pickup that the J-bass pickup might as well not be there.

Which pickups we might recommend depends largely on how much you want to spend. Duncan makes a number of good pickups. If your primary purpose is Metal, then the Classic Stack Jazz and an appropriate P-bass Duncan might be for you. I like the Quarter Pounders, but a lot of people don't. And if you are willing to drop some bucks, Nordstrand and Lollar make great passive choices. If you want to go active, take a look at the offerings from Bartolini.
"Maybe this world is another planet's hell?" - Aldous Huxley
To be honest im not really sure what sound im after. I really like a 'clean/clear' sounding bass. Budget is sub 200 bucks US. I know that isnt much to go on and i apologize. More of a guitarist than a bassist.

Some bands i really like are more modern metalcore type stuff like As i lay dying, Parkway drive etc..
you mean this junk?

haha they were removed the day I got the bass to put back the OEM which sounded better.
Quote by surjer
To be honest im not really sure what sound im after. I really like a 'clean/clear' sounding bass. Budget is sub 200 bucks US. I know that isnt much to go on and i apologize. More of a guitarist than a bassist.

Some bands i really like are more modern metalcore type stuff like As i lay dying, Parkway drive etc..

An EMG PJ set is "clean and clear" in a nutshell, go for it. If you're playing metal that you might want to order another batter clip to boost them to 18v.
I like the Quarter Pounders, but a lot of people don't. And if you are willing to drop some bucks, Nordstrand and Lollar make great passive choices.
Quote by amimbari
you mean this junk?

haha they were removed the day I got the bass to put back the OEM which sounded better.

yup - those are the ones! Thats the same red color of my bass too!

Will check out some of the mentioned pickups. Thanks for the advice all!