So I'm planning on getting separate guitar parts and putting them together and customizing it myself. So far I found the body which is from a Ibanez Fireman made of Poplar but instead of a fixed bridge like Paul Gilbert's fireman, it has a tremolo bridge.

Pic:
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/axemannate/unfinished%20bodies/sssfmanf.jpg

So what I'm wondering is will it be okay if i routed that single coil bridge pickup slot into a humbucker?

Also If I can't go for a humbucker, what kind of pickups for the bridge would you recommend for prog rock? Something that can really drive the sound but is also articulate and clear?

I'm also thinking of adding either a fernandes or a sustaniac sustainer preamp. What would you guys recommend?

Thanks!!!
i dont think there will be room to put in a full size humbucker there. Your route will overlap into the space of the other routes. Id go with a stacked single coil (really sweet if you havent seen em). Look on the dmarzio website or seymore duncan website to see whats available.
Quote by michaelbot9000
i dont think there will be room to put in a full size humbucker there. Your route will overlap into the space of the other routes. Id go with a stacked single coil (really sweet if you havent seen em). Look on the dmarzio website or seymore duncan website to see whats available.

hmmm thanks! I found quite a few but...one thing about picking out pickups is that they don't have a demo for a lot of them...-.-

However, if I got this body layout
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/axemannate/858f.jpg

Would I be able to add a middle pickup in there?
Last edited by silvermercury at Mar 4, 2012,
ya looks like you have enough room. Will need to make a hole in the pickguard though ;D. If you do the HSH setup, i definitely reccomend not going with really high gain humbuckers because then the single coil seems so weak when you try to use it and its really frusterating.
Making a custom pickguard isn't easy. I made one for my strat and it was a very time consuming project. Since you're playing rock my advice to you would be to choose the 2 humbucker body and keep it that way. I agree with michaelbot, single coils are easily overshadowed by humbuckers.

However, the single coils Paul uses in his fireman (dimarzio injector neck & bridge & area 67) are stacked humcanceling coils. They actually have alot of output and playability but they retain good clarity.

So two medium output humbuckers would go nicely with a area67. I have a injector and a area 67 in my alder start (which has a similar tone response to poplar) and it sounds great. They're really powerful as far as singles are concerned.

I love that angled single coil look too.