Hey all.
I am learning music theory (especially modes, key change and modal interchange) and as exercise I want to analyze some "rich" songs in terms of these aspects.
Well, I have chosen for instance Repentance of Dream Theater, now my question is that how can I analyze a song, what key questions must be in my mind. I will write down the progression of the song, so can anybody help me analyze this masterpiece in terms of which modes are used, where the key changes, how modal interchange is included etc.
Briefly, what I am asking is someone to "explain" this song to me so that I will apply same perspective in the future. (my question sounds silly ) Some of you might know the song, and for those who did not know the song but know music theory
very well, I write down the chord progression.

Song stars with a riff in F# harmonic minor ( C# phrygian dominant)

Interlude Progression :
F#m C#m C
Progression of solo :
F#m C#m C Em
F#m C#m C Cmaj7 C Bm
F#m Am Em Em/D C#m7( flat 5) C

Final Chord Progression:
C#m Em Bm F#m
C#m Em G#m G
F#m Am E Bb E Bb

Thanks!
Last edited by TheLegacy411 at Mar 4, 2012,
If you think Dream Theater is rich, try listening to a Bach fugue and trying to analyze that. You'll shit bricks.

But seriously, I think you're going to be better off applying the theory you're learning (probably classic) to the music of the period and then building up.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Actually not classic music but rather progressive music I am studying (theory is same theory but well, I will perform these songs so I want to understand )
I love the solo in that song by petrucci, one of my favorites by him.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by Artemis Entreri
If you think Dream Theater is rich, try listening to a Bach fugue and trying to analyze that. You'll shit bricks.

Hey I do that for fun almost every day. But what I need to point out here is, yes, if you're trying to "analyze" his fugues using the standard approaches of harmonic theory, then yes, there's a lot of brick shitting. But I've concluded that if you do this, it's really missing the point and really does not bring you any closer to understanding his music, or classical music in general. It's not how his music was meant to be understood. Once you take a much more organic approach, it's a lot less brick shitting (though still some) and a lot more "ah, that was a good idea!"

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Mar 5, 2012,
Quote by TheLegacy411
Actually not classic music but rather progressive music I am studying (theory is same theory but well, I will perform these songs so I want to understand )

sort of.

You'll find in CPP theory there's a major concentration on harmony and uncovering and understanding the function of chords within a key...Impressionism onwards...this system becomes less useful and all encompassing. The pseudo modal nature of rock music from the 60's onwards sort of throws a wrench in what you would consider traditional functional harmony...so trying to stuff something in a key or relate all the harmony back to a key is possibly not the best approach.