I was messing around with various techniques and improved some (to me) cool sounding licks. But upon going back and listening, I of course notice all my little (and HUGE) mistakes in various different fields of discussion.

Can you guys take a listen to this "A Dozen Annoying Creatures" lick-mix? It's not meant to be one piece or anything just a bunch of different things I'm figuring out at the moment... but anyways:

What I've noticed so far that needs work:

Tempo Control (I need to get out Weird Metronome again!)

Picking Control

Bend and Vibrato control

Noise Control... though that's a tough one due to my unique situation atm.

Edit:

Here's the promised file! It took so long cause I had to download WML and make a video so I could put it on youtube. It was too long for UG. Make sure to turn it up! (I'm a member of TurnMeUp.org lol, but that's not what I really mean here, it was made low in the process of making it into a youtube video, sorry)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0-9aj-wnBA&feature=youtube_gdata

Asortment 3 (skipping 2 for now)
"grateful is he who plays with open fingers" - Me

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Last edited by Outside Octaves at Mar 6, 2012,
The melodies sound pretty weak, they don't really seem to go anywhere. I can't hear a harmonic progression under them at all. You should try to be more aware of where you want to go with your licks. Try to use chord tones on the strong beats to strenghten the harmonic implications.

The melodies are also pretty dull because you often try to play it safe by only going up and down stepwise. Try and experiment with some jumps, like jumping up a sixth and then going down stepwise to balance it.

I can see some decent ideas though, kinda like the meditative kind of feel you go for sometimes.

I didn't listen to the whole thing because it got kinda awkward after a few minutes so I just skipped around a bit. No offense
I don't blame ya. There's some gems in the making with this, that much I can tell.. but like you said they fall apart/go no where... see what I ment by annoying now? lol.

Harmonic Progression? You mean like Chord progressions? (i.e. I IV V I)? Haven't figured out yet how to do that with a lead. Something to learn. Same goes for the rest of what you talked 'bout.

Hmmm... Something to work on. I always find it impossible to apply what I've learned in theory to "music" as I don't really know how to "apply what I've learned"... heh.

Edit:

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Outside+Octaves/music/all/play1091859

This is what happenes when I try to apply what I think you're talking about here. I try to get some 1 4 5 things going on with some other steps thrown in and around. I also try some other things like that 1 - 6 skip and a bit of rhythm at the end. (Edit, woops the rhythm was on the 2nd version not this the 3rd, sorry about that.)

And again, TURN IT UP! As this is approved by me as a "member" of TURNMEUP!.org lol. Though again it's annoying, but shorter at 6:49 or something like that heh... though it is clipped due not to turning the volume up myself but the sample rate and what not allowed by UG .

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
Last edited by Outside Octaves at Mar 6, 2012,
. I try to get some 1 4 5 things going on with some other steps thrown in and around. I also try some other things like that 1 - 6 skip and a bit of rhythm at the end.
Simple Reply: Yep.

Lengthy Reply:

(TLDR area I bet)

Yes, I'm still trying to learn various scales, and how they feel... but that wasn't really what I was doing here. I was more or less just meandering around, trying to "feel" out different licks. Yes, I did use scales in that I would choose a root and sort of play from there the various points like a 4th or 5th from it note/pitch wize... but from that I wasn't trying to "play the scales" or use them in any way other than said reference points... yes it was used, but wasn't like I was trying in any concerted way to use them lol... wow, circle logic... anyways:

I need to really learn my scale notes lol... like I know C D E F G A B C as that's a fairly easy, but say to me D# Major, and I'd say I dunno. Something to learn I guess. I only know scales as a function of degrees from the tonic/root. As in if I play the G note on the 6th string 15th fret, I can from that play up and down from there the major or minor scale based on position of scale degrees. Like 2 up from that G and you hit A which is the Major 2nd, 6 down from G would be the (get's guitar for reference) Db which is the "Tritone" if counting down, if up from the 3rd it's also the Tritone, lol... that one doesn't flip as we all know, but I had to relearn that just now lol)... anyways I think you get it lol

Tensions in different scales? Way beyond my level of thinking atm. WAAAAAh? o.0

I was however applying appegiation in those... those bits with the same 3 notes over n over are just major/minor arps! LOL.

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!
your doing alright bro.

remember. u gotta start somewhere and end somewhere and come back home

Root note- blablablablablabla ---- 5th or 7th ( of the scale ) ------ root note

I know i didnt explain it enough. but u prob get what im saying

AND REMEMBER. dont be afraid to hit a note, have some courage man to go for it. you think the best in the business got places by playing it SUPER safe?

you sound good tho man, and it would work with a backing track. i recomend not the note you hit but your rythem with solos.

good luck my friend
not the note I hit, which note? lol.. more than a few choices there LOL.

but thanks . I'm my own worst enemy I guess. It also doesn't help that those I aspire to are people like Mr. Steve Vai and Eric Clapton you know? Listening to them is just so depressing, yet there music somehow is uplifting when I'm not listening in the mode of how to play hehe.

┌∩┐(◣_◢┌∩┐

DO NOT CLICK HERE!