Well about two years ago I picked up a used ESP ltd viper 100 for $90 because I thought for 90 dollars it wouldn't be such a loss even if it was crappy and it's been a good practice guitar to throw around and such. I've never really needed to use it for anything other than if i didn't have my main guitar to practice on. However, recently I've been doing gigs around the tri-state area and since my band has a song that is a much lower tuning than my standard guitar I have had to use the ltd. My question should I upgrade the pickups in the guitar to try and get a better sound or just try to find a better guitar? I have a very low budget of about $300-$400 so I was wondering if you guys could help
The guitar is tuned to drop B. My main guitar is usually in standard or Drop D depending on the day.
$250~ set of pickups on a $90 guitar... You would be better off scouring the used market for a better guitar.
ESP Horizon NT-II
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Peavey 6505
Orange PPC412
Maxon OD808
ISP Decimator G-String
Boss TU3
Well it's already got some good ol' fashion 12s but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't want to put some beautiful bare knuckles into it. I know they are amazing and everything but I'd feel very concerned knowing the pickups were more than the guitar itself...
Get a better guitar.

Putting nice pickups on a cheap guitar is like placing a Ferrari engine on a jalopy.
I agree! So my next question is, what guitar should I look for? I do enjoy buying things used, I feel like they have more character in them.
Well, I think you can search for Schecter or Ibanez... also, you'll probably find a few used Malden guitars around 300$ - 400$.
The Maldens look pretty cool and seem to be the specs I'm looking for I just with they were a little cheaper. I've had two low-end Ibanez guitars (they were free) and had bad experiences with both of them.
Quote by iommi600
Well, I think you can search for Schecter or Ibanez...

This is what I was thinking, too.

You could also check into some other guitars, baritones perhaps? http://prsguitars.com/semikemushokbaritone/index.php
Richard

I tried setting my password to "penis". It said my password wasn't long enough.

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister
TC Electronic Nova System

PBT Native
Last edited by richardlpalmer at Mar 5, 2012,
Quote by Mopy
$250~ set of pickups on a $90 guitar... You would be better off scouring the used market for a better guitar.

+1
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Do you like the Viper? Vipers go for dirt cheap, you could easily get a Viper 400 or 1000 in your budget (depending on your location).

Otherwise, answer these, and we can give you some real recommendations (not random shots in the dark).

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1497696
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Budget? - well I can only muster up $400 if I must (

Preferences? - I always liked a double cut kind of shape. I am noting looking for a floyd or and tremolo. No locking nut or active pickups, they just don't float my boat.

Pickups? - I would really like passive humbuckers because I have two pickups lying around that I could drop into that guitar. Even a single humbucker would do.

New or Used? - Lots of great guitars out there used, and a guaranteed way to get the most bang for your buck.

Location? - I live in New Jersey

Current Gear? - I have my own hand made cab with 4 V30s in it and I have Peavey 6505+ 112 that I turned into a head. I have another guitar but i don't think that's too important to list.
When you say double cut, do you mean like a traditional LP style double cut, or like an SG, or like a strat/superstrat?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Check it out homeslice:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/IBANEZ-ARX320-ARTIST-BLACK-NEAR-MINT-WITH-CASE-PRO-SHIPPED-/350541903503?pt=Guitar&hash=item519decf68f

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ibanez-ARX320-TCR-Electric-Guitar-Transparent-Cherry-Blem-Sale-/380404505292?pt=Guitar&hash=item5891e01acc

If you can get that black one for cheaps, you should have more than enough left over to slap some DiMarzio D Activators in it, or maybe a D Sonic/Liquifire combo.

EDIT: Here's some Vipers. Like I said, they go for cheap. These are amazing quality compared to the one you had before.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESP-LTD-Viper-400-Black-Electric-Guitar-/190647877924?pt=Guitar&hash=item2c637fc124

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ESP-LTD-DELUXE-VIPER-1000-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-w-Case-FREE-SHIP-/130658636712?pt=Guitar&hash=item1e6bdc93a8

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Esp-ltd-viper-1000-deluxe-with-hardshell-case-reduced-price-shipping-/120870580383?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c2472b09f

I would highly consider that 400 if I were you - Earvana nuts are just flat out amazing, no ifs, ands or buts about it. My MH-400 has one.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Mar 5, 2012,
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Chinese made ibanez' suck my anus.
Used Epi LP std w/ new pups. Still MIC, but better build quality imo.

I've played a lot of guitars, and low end Epiphones are just terrible compared to low end Ibanezes. The main thing that sucks about cheap Ibanez guitars are the crappy trems they had, but these have fixed bridges.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I've played a lot of guitars, and low end Epiphones are just terrible compared to low end Ibanezes. The main thing that sucks about cheap Ibanez guitars are the crappy trems they had, but these have fixed bridges.

All opinion, but my old Epi lp wrecked both my ARZ800 and my dn400 in terms of quality and sound. No trems. The only nice thing about those is the thinner neck.
I have actually looking at epis buy not like an SG, I took a lot of intrest in the korina flying v and explorer
Quote by Offworld92
When you say double cut, do you mean like a traditional LP style double cut, or like an SG, or like a strat/superstrat?

Quote by shameolot
I mean like an Lp style but SG is cool too.

LP = SC (I mean, that's the quintessential single cut design!)
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
I see...
Richard

PRSi:
*ME Quatro
*CE-22
*SE Soapbar II
H&K TubeMeister

PBT Native
Thanks for all the advice everyone! Due to unforeseen bills that need to be payed I will have to save up for a guitar because my price range got cut in half. I'll hold off till I can get something better.