After a couple of months of no use, i just turned on my peavey triple x (head) to have a jam on using the line out (cabinet output has a connection also btw) into mixer into my soundcard into IR's etc...

Troubleshooted cables, inputs and made sure everythings on and loud enough.
Ive tried turning the amp on full volume to get some kind of humm and hiss but there is none

It worked fine before and literally nothing has changed since i last used it?..

Any idea?...
Last edited by smokedereefa at Mar 5, 2012,
does the amp work going directly out into a separate system of speakers?
"Hey kid. You wanna cigarette?"

"No thanks! I/m already hooked on Fonicks!"

Quote by Panasonic3
does the amp work going directly out into a separate system of speakers?

I dont have my cabinet here its at the place we practice, i know the line out could be faulty but why would it just suddenly go if i havent used it or even touched it?
Are you actually playing the guitar or just staring at it?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Are you actually playing the guitar or just staring at it?

Are you actually contributing to help or just being a prick + i may be playing bass through it?

Yup ive just checked the power tubes and preamp tubes they are all 'glowing' fine.

I really hope the Ouput transformer hasn't gone.
+++

OT could be seen as an upgrade. There are a lot of good cheap ones nowdays. WHo was that winder, Cathbard?
Quote by smokedereefa
Are you actually contributing to help or just being a prick + i may be playing bass through it?

Yup ive just checked the power tubes and preamp tubes they are all 'glowing' fine.

I really hope the Ouput transformer hasn't gone.

I think I was told on here that glowing doesn't matter really. Also I think the triple x can work without preamp tubes (I'd just leave them in though), it's the power tubes you're concerned about.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
+++

OT could be seen as an upgrade. There are a lot of good cheap ones nowdays. WHo was that winder, Cathbard?

Depends if it costs more to replace than the amps worth.

I honestly cant think what im doing wrong or why there is no output.
If the power tubes aren't microphonic and switching each individual one out has no effect, it can be assumed/deduced that the output transformer is the fault? (or bring it to a qualified tech, of course). Did you play it without a cabinet?

ClassicTone transformers are supposed to be decent? IDK much about that.

No, your XXX may be the best sounding XXX ever if it IS the OT that's the prob and you replace it with a nicer one!

EDIT: Don't go buy one because I brought it up.
Last edited by DeathByDestroyr at Mar 5, 2012,
K so i just checked the effects loop and nothing from the return which clearly says something else is quite wrong.

Heres my list -

Powers on - all lights + standby
Footswitch works
All tubes are 'glowing'
No output from effects loop
No hum or hiss when master and channel volumes on full
No burning smells or marks on chassis (not checked inside dangerous!)
Fuse is fine (haven't checked internal fuses though)

...my conclusion is my amp is fucked

Quote by zomgguitarz1234
Also I think the triple x can work without preamp tubes (I'd just leave them in though), it's the power tubes you're concerned about.

Yeah it supports 6L6's and EL34's it has 4x EL34's in it and 4x ECC38 pre amp tubes these were changed quite a while ago by the way but it hasn't been used for months..

Should i try running it off 2 power tubes? Not sure what they call it or even no preamp tubes (i dont see the relevance)?
Did you try kicking it?

Bring it to a tech, or try putting in your own OT. Open it up DON'T TOUCH SHIT, ONE HAND IN YOUR POCKET, just look for a burnt anything. You can see it.

It is plugged into the cab and the speakers are wired right? Those clips some audiofags use are shady I soldered my cabinet. .2% silver solder, keeps away the wearwolves.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
Did you try kicking it?

Bring it to a tech, or try putting in your own OT. Open it up DON'T TOUCH SHIT, ONE HAND IN YOUR POCKET, just look for a burnt anything. You can see it.

Nah ain't kicking it.

You should be more sympathetic man ive lost my friend, my love, my world and you advise me to kick her? Sick, damn right sick bro.

I have 4 6L6 power tubes from a valveking but i have no idea how to bias the XXX and the guy i bought it off glued the bias switch for some reason.. (worked perfect when i bought it until now)

Would bad power tubes allow the amp to power up but have no output?
Quote by smokedereefa
Nah ain't kicking it.

You should be more sympathetic man ive lost my friend, my love, my world and you advise me to kick her? Sick, damn right sick bro.

I have been nerd flipping way to hard these last times to hear things like that.

I lub my guitars too I'mma play her :')

As long as your not redplating the tubes, or they are glowing bright white from what I understand, your good. Try one at a time.

Did you try kicking it/

EDIT: While your in there, get some de-ox-it or other contact cleaner, on a q-tip, and put it in each slot for your valves. Clean all the contacts yay. Keep one hand in your pocket and your not holding a screwdriver, it's a cotton swap.

Let cleaner on contact dry before licking the circuit board.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
I have been nerd flipping way to hard these last times to hear things like that.

I lub my guitars too I'mma play her :')

As long as your not redplating the tubes, or they are glowing bright white from what I understand, your good. Try one at a time.

Did you try kicking it/

EDIT: While your in there, get some de-ox-it or other contact cleaner, on a q-tip, and put it in each slot for your valves. Clean all the contacts yay. Keep one hand in your pocket and your not holding a screwdriver, it's a cotton swap.

Let cleaner on contact dry before licking the circuit board.

Tried that and same results Nothing...
Hang on. You're trying to play this and listening through the line out WITH NO CAB CONNECTED? Did I read that right?

No I don't own a Windsor - or any other Peavey amp for that matter. If I wanted a JCM800 type thing I wouldn't buy a Peavey copy, I'd just build a 2203 myself.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 5, 2012,
No cab? We went over this. /facepalm

I think TS was playing through a different preamp, into the return as a slave amp.
Quote by Cathbard
Hang on. You're trying to play this and listening through the line out WITH NO CAB CONNECTED? Did I read that right?

I have an 8 ohm PA speaker connected to it to try and get it working. Not a guitar cabinet no, its at our practice place like i said.

Edit: before all this i use to use the head alone running a dummy load off it to record with the line out so that doesn't/didn't seem to be the problem.

Rung a repair bloke local going cost about 45-50 around + parts if needed, he recons the Main power 'HT' or something has gone cant remember exactly what he said.

I said about the output transformer and hes said that its very unlikely seeing as i haven't used it all.
OK, as long as it has some load that's ok.
Is there a HT fuse? It could very well be the rectifier. It's got a SS rectifier, yes?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I thought you could switch the rectifier on the XXX. That amp sucks get a better one.
Those are both the same amp almost, right?

Running both? Epic tonez bro!
Yeah, SS rectifier. If it was a valve one you could have done it yourself. I thought they'd be SS. A valve rectifier would be pretty pointless on an amp like that.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ive found the problem.

Fuse broken (F2A/250V).

But.. why did this happen? Im guessing i use the F2A to look on the schematic to see what fuse i need? or can anyone help me identify this fuse?
F2 is a 10amp slow blow. That's in the heater circuit. Odd one to blow. Replace it and see what happens. Check the underside of the tubes and make sure nothing come adrift and shorting things out. I'd think they were PCB mounted tube sockets though so it's unlikely.

Is it F2? Are you reading the circuit board or what's on the fuse itself?
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 5, 2012,
Quote by Cathbard
F2 is a 10amp slow blow. That's in the heater circuit. Odd one to blow. Replace it and see what happens. Check the underside of the tubes and make sure nothing come adrift and shorting things out. I'd think they were PCB mounted tube sockets though so it's unlikely.

Is it F2? Are you reading the circuit board or what's on the fuse itself?

Thanks for your help.

On the PCB board it says F2A/250V under the fuse.

On the fuse it says - F2AL/250V

I thought the F2A meant - Fast Burning 2 Amp fuse
It does. It will often give the fuse number according to the circuit on the board itself. So that will be F1 on the schematic. That is indeed the HT fuse.
The HT fuse will often blow when the power tubes are failing. If it blows again replace the power tubes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
It does. It will often give the fuse number according to the circuit on the board itself. So that will be F1 on the schematic. That is indeed the HT fuse.
The HT fuse will often blow when the power tubes are failing. If it blows again replace the power tubes.

What does 'HT' stand for? High tension? High... dunno..

So what fuse do i need to look for? Quick Burn 2 amp 250v fuse?

Theres some pictures in here, sorry on the quality loll - http://imageshack.us/g/215/dsc00355zpz.jpg/

Also you say about the power tubes failing, would of this been a evolving problem when i last used it and when i tried to use it today it blew the fuse?

Thanks for your help again man.
Heater I assumed.

High Tension is a good movie \m/

Do you let your amp warm up for 5 minutes before playing? May extend life of problem?
Quote by DeathByDestroyr

Do you let your amp warm up for 5 minutes before playing? May extend life of problem?

All the time, normally give it 2-3 minutes before playing.

Im having trouble finding the size of fuse its quite a large one but don't wanna buy the wrong ones.
Cant seem to find the fuses to buy? Im pretty sure its these, the others fuses inside the chassis look identical.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10-250v-2A-2AMP-Quick-Blow-Glass-Fuses-6x30mm-3126-/120821672824

Edit: I read that description wrong i thought it said 10 250v 2a fuses lol.

http://www.cybermarket.co.uk/shop/electrical-lighting/fuses/fuses-6mm-x-32mm/2a-6x32mm-quick-blow-fuse-254465.html

6x30mm 2A 250V fuse.. im looking for.. ^ maybe?

Any idea? Im in the UK btw