Hi, for the last 2 years I've been trying to get good at guitar, I didn't have money for lessons at the time so I had to search for books, through YouTube etc. until I came across Justinguitar.com, it's a great website that's free and teaches you the basic foundation of guitar. I know all basic chords, all notes in the 5th and 6th string, power chords, bar chords, different strum patterns, 12 bar blues. I'm trying to get to the point where I can play my own original material. I also would like to know music theory and would like to train my ear. I like GUTARIST like jimi Hendrix along tge watchtower solo, or foxy lady, or his hey joe solo. I like John frusciantes under the bridge guitar playing. I'm a big fan of George Harrison. I also like some classical like Ave Maria. Now that I have money and can afford lessons I'm wondering if I should take lessons. I found a teacher on Craigslist who's a nice guy and seems to know what he's talking about. He saids he's studied classical at the Manhatten school of music and also knows many different styles. He charges 120 for 4 lessons an hour each, he also is more of a private teacher he font work anywhere. This other teacher I found went to school for music and is a lot more professional up front . He reaches strictly classical. GE charges a lot more $30.00 for thirty minutes. Which one should I go with.? I want to be a very good GUTARIST, I don't want this to be a hobbies I want it to be my passion, there's something speacial about music to me. Should I learn classical? I want to be able to Rick out like Hendrix or page but I would also like to play more mellow meaningful songs. Can someone help me out , thanks
Check them both out and see which one would suit you better. Judging from your description of what you want I'd go with the 1st guy because you might not enjoy only learning classical.
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
Quote by jslv
I want to be able to Rick out like Hendrix or page but I would also like to play more mellow meaningful songs. Can someone help me out , thanks

Yes.

Learn this masterpiece first:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ&ob=av2e

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Adbot?
Quote by StonedColdCrazy
Fact is nobody has ever proven smoking to cause cancer.
oh, you seek an experienced guitar play? well, youve come to the right place, i am, infact, a noob. idk tl'dr
Learning strictly classical may discourage you. It's always good to be well-rounded and learn about as much music as you can. The more versatile, the better imo.
Quote by Xiaoxi
Yes.

Learn this masterpiece first:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ&ob=av2e

damn you...
Quote by Eddie4President
You are amazing. The fact that you have paramore next to disturbed shows how awesome you are.
Here, an awesome medal. It's made out of awesomnite.
:extends medal:

Quote by Fallen_Seeker
Thank you!
I would give you an awesome metal, but
I can't find any awesomnite.
Quote by aCloudConnected
Learning strictly classical may discourage you. It's always good to be well-rounded and learn about as much music as you can. The more versatile, the better imo.

then i must assume you love buckethead?
as for learning things, try learning things that are just above your skill level. dont dwell on exercises too much, they are great for warm ups, but dont waste too long with them. learn how music works, just jam with people, thats the best way to get better imo, simple chord solo jams.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
then i must assume you love buckethead?
as for learning things, try learning things that are just above your skill level. dont dwell on exercises too much, they are great for warm ups, but dont waste too long with them. learn how music works, just jam with people, thats the best way to get better imo, simple chord solo jams.

I've never really actually listened to any Buckethead o:

But I agree with everything you said, playing with other people is really key in growing as a musician.
To be a good GUITARIST you really just have to have a good practice ethic. A teacher is nice, but with the internet there are many resources available to help you become a great player on your own.
Check out my band Disturbed
I never heard of buckethead. My favorite bands are the Beatles, and radiohead.
Dude, 10 years later, of dicking around on instruments, I would take the lessons. If anything, it's a complete 3rd party perspective on YOUR PLAYING. It's not your mom, sister, best friend or potential audience thinks, its what a seasoned musician thinks when he doesnt give a **** about anything but your money. Thats good, he's a nice guy and isn't an ass. Listen to what he has to say, and listen closely.

Most of all, play out. You know some tunes, a few scales, play them with others.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
my advice would be to go with one of the teachers. i limped around trying to teach myself for about 10 years, started getting lessons a few months ago, best thing i ever did.

(paragraph)

besides leaning the correct techniques i'm also getting a better understanding of the theory and progress just goes so much faster now.
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
There's a lot of good material on this site if you look around the Musician Talk forum.
If you really have expended the free material and can't learn from it, then a teacher is your best choice. Even just someone who you know personally that plays, so you can sit with them and bounce ideas/knowledge off each other in a practical environment.
Also try to remember that it's not how much time you put into your practice routine, but HOW you practice. Try to step out of your comfort zone once in a while to keep things interesting. There's my 2 cents.