Hey guys.

I'm having trouble mixing my first and second guitar - both distortion. They're both playing, in one section, the same progression of powerchords - and when I try to mix them over the top of each other its just one big mess of distortion and crackling :/
Try panning one to the left and one to the right?
I don't know just how 'distorted' you mean but at least from my knowledge this is common practise.
This is a perfect example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1BtExxkP0M
Malcolm in on ear and Angus in the other, what more could you want?
Fender 60th Anniversary Standard Strat,
Epiphone Les Paul ES,
Line6 Flextone III,
Laney VC15,
Some pedals,
Some recording gear.
panning, eq, etc. This is the kind of thing that should be addressed during preproduction or arrangement
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
I agree, that's the best thing you can do for 2 guitars. Good luck, and post the end result.
Quote by FlorinC
I agree, that's the best thing you can do for 2 guitars. Good luck, and post the end result.

minus the panning of 1005 left and 100% right. i usually go about 50/50 or 75/75. if i wanna throw an overdub or something farther out, it gives me a little extra room.
Quote by westley23j
minus the panning of 1005 left and 100% right. i usually go about 50/50 or 75/75. if i wanna throw an overdub or something farther out, it gives me a little extra room.

1005% to the left....that'd be a stretch eh?

Sorry, just had to poke fun at that.