Hey people!
Im gonna buy new strings. Im a total noob when it comes to strings. I have no idea which gauge to buy! I don't know the gauge of the strings on my guitar right now. They're about 3 months old and rusted. Drop D and Standard E and okay but it sucks when I lower it even further. Its way too muddy and really hard to tune perfectly. Also, when I strum a power chord, it sounds like the string is out of tune and I can hear the sound I get when the guitar is out of tune for 2-3 seconds and then it becomes normal.
So which gauge strings do you suggest I get for Drop C, Drop D and E standard (rarely)?
And is there any setting up to do on the guitar before changing the strings?
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
what scale do you have?
i've got f 25.5" scale ibanez with edge III. and I use 10-56 strings for drop C, but I've got to say that my ibanez has more tension in strings in comparison with my Schecter with T-o-M.(maybe that's because of the edge III bridge)
maybe the strings is not the point here, try to adjust your scale length
Quote by Sciacca
For Drop C, use .11's(on the low E string). That's what I use.

.11s on the LOW E? ahhhhh...

I'd recommend .10-.52s. I use them to play in everything from E standard to drop B. The tension is pretty high when you're playing in E standard, but not ridiculous. I actually like how tight the strings are. When you're down in drop C they feel pretty normal. They're a little loose in drop B but they still work fine and play well.

EDIT: CatAmplifier raises a good point about scale length. .10-.52s work good on my LTD H-1001 with a 25.5" scale length and a tune-o-matic bridge. I'm not not sure how well they'd work on a guitar with a shorter scale or a guitar with a floating tremelo.
Last edited by MonsterMetalMus at Mar 5, 2012,
Scale is 25.5.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
Ok so finally 11s or 10s? And which brand or which series of strings do you guys recommend?
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
And Ill be in Drop D tuning more than Ill be in Drop c.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
that's not the point. when i pick the strings, I usually look for nice lows like .56, 'cause i've got some heavy attack and when I play some djenty riffs, i don't really like my low string to be sloppy. When you hit hard, your string can go a little bit up and then go down to the pitch, so... for drop C I'd pick 10-56. 10's string is good for nice high bends, so here it's really a matter of taste. I don't think that the gauge of the 1st string would be really critical here for drop C. I use Ernie Ball or Dunlop strings.
If you really hesitate, then take your guitar to the guitar master to adjust your scale length. He'll probably give you some advices about the strings.

for drop D i'd take something like... 9-52 or 10-52.
but I'd be pissed off with the lowest 52 in drop C.
you can try and find some 9-54 or 10-54. for me It would be just fine for drop C-D
Last edited by CatAmplifier at Mar 5, 2012,
Alrighty! Thanks!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny

Cheapest Air Jordan Shoes,Tiffany Jewelry Company,Wholesale Hollister Clothing

Online Store:

Cheapest Vans Shoes $37

Fashion Tiffany Bangles $20

Wholesale Hollister Tshirt $18

jordan shoes $38

nike shox $37

Christan Audigier bikini $18

Ed Hardy Bikini $18

Sinful short_t-shirt_woman $16

There is no gauge of string that is good for multiple tunings. In an ideal situation, you should have a different guitar for every tuning (except maybe if you're just going a step up or down on the lowest string).

A good "general" gauge is 10-52. It will work well for Standard/Drop D, be fairly loose for Drop C, but you'll have to live with one or the other, and you can't have strings that are too tight (cause they'll snap).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Lowest I've ever tuned is Drop C and I used 9-42. The strings were slightly slacker. They weren't cooked spaghetti.

Right now I'm in Drop D and Standard using 9-42.
I think Im gonna go with 10-52. I wont be in Drop C all of the time. So it wont be extremely loose right? Wont it be playable? And about the brand, which one would be the most suited for metal?
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Im thinking of getting d'Addario Pro Steels Light Top Heavy Bottom Strings. 10-52. I wonder if they're good. Any insights?
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
There is nothing objective about strings. We can't tell you anything relevant about them. Different people have different preferences for different reasons - mainly that different strings react to different genetic makeups (how much you sweat and the chemical properties of your sweat).

The only answer when it comes to strings is to just try out every brand you can until you find "the one" for you. Strings are cheap, so this is pretty easy to do, and you have to change strings anyway.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I use 11-52s for D Standard/Drop C, and it is borderline too slack when in Drop C. I've tried a 54 on the low-E string and that's about perfect for me.

I wouldn't even try going up to E-standard/Drop D with those strings though - too much tension then. Really, I think one set of strings is perfect for a standard tuning and its drop low-E counterpart -- if you try to start getting more range out of them you'll be compromising 'feel' too much.
I've tuned down to drop C on regular 10s before with no issues. It's really up to you how much tension you want. One of my guitars has 13s in Drop C
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I find the bigger strings definitely matter more. For a scale like that I prefer a nice fat low e, like a 52. I will say that if you are primarily in drop D, you may prefer that you are really comfortable in Drop d and uncomfortable in drop C than only kind of comfy in both tunings, in which case, I recommend 10-46. Ultimately, it is up to you, no one can tell you what will be good for you, other than yourself. As far as brands, some people are picky, I like cheap, as no one pack is going to be on there longer than 3 or 4 weeks. I go for Dunlop, mainly because I like the package, and they are 4 or 5 bucks most of the time.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Like everyone has said, 10-52 should be good. Kinda tight on Drop D and E but should also be able to handle Drop C good. For what it's worth, I almost always play Drop D and use 10-50's.
Thanks! Do I have to set up my guitar or something for high gauge strings?
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Quote by amithkallupalam

You should, yes.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by amithkallupalam

It would be a good idea. You'll probably need to tighten the truss rod a little bit (Not necessarily though, depending on your guitar. I went from 9-46s to 10-52s and my guitars neck hasn't gained any bow) and adjust the intonation.
honestly just try a few different strings out until you find what you like. its cheap and you will find what you want.

nobody can tell you what you want. so experiment.

i use .11's for E std everywhere except one guitar that i bought and haven't had the chance to make the change (i will wait until the old strings are shot) then throw .11's on.

i don't necessarily use my ideal strings. when i can get 10 packs of d'addario .11's for $35, thats $3.50 a pack. if i played my favorite strings it would be significantly more expensive. i have to keep four guitars playable at all times, i have 20 guitars, i use a lot of strings.

i would play .12's in standard E if D'addario sold them in a 10 pack for $35.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
i wana say use a 10-50 set. but ur not going to get standard in that. drop D and C, yes
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Guys I changed my mind just now. I listened to a lot of BFMV right now from the poison and I really wanna learn all of those songs so Can you guys suggest the string gauge for drop C and sometimes B?? It should be tight enough(not too tight) in Drop C mainly, Ill only be playing in drop b rarely So Which gauge should I look for?
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Get some ernie ball beffy's.

I use the skinny bottom, heavy top slinkies, the work pretty well for me and I'm constantly changing tunings. Even been to drop B with them, pretty slack, but not un usable
Quote by amithkallupalam
And Ill be in Drop D tuning more than Ill be in Drop c.

I Use Dunlop Heavy Core 11's And Play Mostly In Drop D. I've Been Trying To Learn Protest The Hero Songs Lately, So I've Been In Eb. But i've Gone From Standard All The Way Down To Drop B With Them, And They Sound Good (Even On my Cheap Squier Strat)
ive been using 10-46 for drop d and standard tuning. i would like to take the low e up in gauge a bit though.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A