Im looking for a clean amp, but cannot afford a Fender, Laney valve amp etc I don't want a modelling amp with effects either. Does anyone use the Peavey Bandit 112 for gigs primarily for the clean channel, I and if so what's it like? I believe it's 80 watts or so which in my opnion would be plenty loud enough for 'clean' sounding gigs. Does the clean channel break up at higher volume levels or is it 'clean all the way?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Last edited by Ichabod Crane at Mar 5, 2012,
I went through three Bandits over the years (they kept breaking and I mostly kept using them because for some reason they're in every single pawn shop around here for dirt cheap) and honestly, to my ears, the cleans were pretty crap. I can't really recommend anything else without a price range, but having owned three of the damn things I wouldn't advise the Bandit. They don't tend to break up very much but they do get pretty muddy at higher levels; I'd mic it rather than crank it if possible.
Muddy is the word I'd use too.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I really can't afford to go much over £250, but I can't seem to find anything in that price range that might do the trick. I have a Marshall valvo combo, TSL122 but it wouldn't be any good for 'clean' stuff......
If you've had 3 Bandits in the past then there must be something good about them would you say?
Quote by The Last Dandy
I went through three Bandits over the years (they kept breaking and I mostly kept using them because for some reason they're in every single pawn shop around here for dirt cheap) and honestly, to my ears, the cleans were pretty crap. I can't really recommend anything else without a price range, but having owned three of the damn things I wouldn't advise the Bandit. They don't tend to break up very much but they do get pretty muddy at higher levels; I'd mic it rather than crank it if possible.

This +1 . . . . .

I loved my Peavey Bandit, although mostly for the overdrive tone. but the cleans were nothing special and it DID keep breaking while gigging etc

It doesn't like the road and is quite muddy sounding when turned up (on the clean channel).
Quote by Ichabod Crane
I really can't afford to go much over £250, but I can't seem to find anything in that price range that might do the trick. I have a Marshall valvo combo, TSL122 but it wouldn't be any good for 'clean' stuff......
If you've had 3 Bandits in the past then there must be something good about them would you say?

you have a tsl 122?!

That will be miles better than any clean peavey channel.

i suggest you mess around with your EQ more and / or add a chorus effect or delay to get a nice fender-esque chime out of it!

its the valves that give the nice clean tone dude!
Quote by Ichabod Crane

Well, yeah. They're cheap, and the dirt on them isn't terrible. The only lower-end Peavey I ever owned and was really impressed with at all was a Prowler, though. Not sure how much those go for these days, maybe see if you can find a used one?
I just want something a little less weighty to drag to gigs...... the thing with Marshalls is with the volume at 5 or higher the sound starts to crunch up, and I'd really like it to be 'sparkly clean' if there is such a thing! lol
Quote by Ichabod Crane
I just want something a little less weighty to drag to gigs...... the thing with Marshalls is with the volume at 5 or higher the sound starts to crunch up, and I'd really like it to be 'sparkly clean' if there is such a thing! lol

remember the louder the volume goes up on a marshall, the more "natural crunch" you get.

Get some reverb, chorus and delay effects and roll off the gain on the clean setting. I gaurantee this will sound better than any bandit.

what guitar are you using btw?! which pickups etc?

that's also something to consider.
I had a Bandit for many years. Always wanted to try a G12K75 or H30 in there but never got to it. The Peavey speaker is horrible,

Don't remember if its the sheffeild or marvel, I think sheffield.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by funkymonk1985
remember the louder the volume goes up on a marshall, the more "natural crunch" you get.

Get some reverb, chorus and delay effects and roll off the gain on the clean setting. I gaurantee this will sound better than any bandit.

what guitar are you using btw?! which pickups etc?

that's also something to consider.

I'd be using a 70's Fender Strat, and possibly a Gibson 335, but mainly the Strat. I have chorus and delay pedals so no probs there. The Marshall is a heavy bugger and even though it DOES sound sweet, it would be nice to have a smaller amp to take to gigs....
Quote by funkymonk1985
you have a tsl 122?!

That will be miles better than any clean peavey channel.

i suggest you mess around with your EQ more and / or add a chorus effect or delay to get a nice fender-esque chime out of it!

its the valves that give the nice clean tone dude!

+1, also try lowering your guitars volume (if you have not already) to try and get a cleaner clean sound.
I think I've changed my mind about the Peavey now, but would still like a single clean channel amp at around 60+ watts for gigs.....
Try and find a Roland JC60. They are basically one half of a JC120.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Stick with your TSL and maybe give it a couple more pedals or something. Anything within the price-range you're looking at would be quite a downgrade.
Why can't you get a decent clean out of the TSL? I'd be looking at what was wrong with it, perhaps it needs a tube or two.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I can get a great tone out of the TSL, and all the valves were replaced recently. I would just like the clean channel to be a little cleaner thats all.
The amp is superb otherwise. Maybe I'm being too greedy wanting another amp....? lol