Hey guys.
Im planning on getting an eq pedal to customize the tones further. Is there any point in putting an eq pedal in between the guitar and a modeller amp? Or is it totally worthless? Can you suggest a really cheap one? Thanks.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
I personally wouldn't recommend it, just because a good new eq pedal will cost as much as your amp new. Also, putting it in between the amp and guitar has a very small effect. You can still change your sound, but being that your amp has no effects loop, I see it as a very large waste at this time, unless you plan on upgrading any time soon, in which case perhaps an eq pedal wouldn't be such a bad idea.
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
Oh thanks! The problem is that my guitar is way too mid heavy and there are a lot of mids! Ive scooped the mids on my amp but still there are a lot of mids!!!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Pro Tip - Neck pickup, tone dial rolled all the way off, makes tuners respond WAY more accurately. I only learned this trick fairly recently, and it actually works.
What amp model are you running? I have one too, and I think that they just sound puny without their mids... I can't imagine your guitar having more mids than my tone zone equipped strat either, but everyone has an ear for something different.
You can always get one of these:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Danelectro-DJ14-Fish-and-Chips-7-Band-EQ-Pedal-101149250-i1124602.gc

They are to bad and only $30

But consider upgrading your amp at some point.
Quote by CodeMonk
You can always get one of these:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Danelectro-DJ14-Fish-and-Chips-7-Band-EQ-Pedal-101149250-i1124602.gc

They are to bad and only $30

But consider upgrading your amp at some point.

I was considering recommending that. This is a good option TS, like I said though, if you are considering upgrading soon, I would opt for a higher end pedal. The fish and chips is great, but I would worry about its sturdiness in a situation where you were using it vigorously
Quote by dementiacaptain
What amp model are you running? I have one too, and I think that they just sound puny without their mids... I can't imagine your guitar having more mids than my tone zone equipped strat either, but everyone has an ear for something different.

Rec, its really middy even when its completely scooped. The 6505 is impossible because of the mids. I mean there are way too much mids!!! Its not the amp, its the guitar or pickups. Ive seen a lot of youtube videos of the vypyr 6505 and its really kick ass but my 6505 model just sucks. I scoop my rec channel cuz otherwise its really mid heavy. Ive never played with mids over 9 o clock.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Tone knob is full, volume knob is at 5 and I boosted the gain on the vypyr to compensate for that.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
^+1
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
Yup, don't blame the amp if you haven't checked your guitar's controls.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
No tone wasn't at 0. It was at 6. Now its at 10. And its much better. My tones sounds much more clear without much output. The strings aren't sensitive and they dont make the shhh sound when my palm rubs over it. My tone is perfect now. Except that its way too middy. Increasing volume didn't help at all. Just increased gain. And I thinking the only way to fix this is to change the PU.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
As I recall I had to boost the mids on my Vypyr... If you're going for a "METUL SCOOPED TOAN", just... don't. It doesn't sound good. The guitar is a midrange instrument. Cut that and you're basically castrating your tone.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
the pu will cost as much as your amp though. maybe that the best idea.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by oneblackened
As I recall I had to boost the mids on my Vypyr... If you're going for a "METUL SCOOPED TOAN", just... don't. It doesn't sound good. The guitar is a midrange instrument. Cut that and you're basically castrating your tone.

No im not going for a "METUL SCOOPED TOAN". Trust me my vypyr is really really mid heavy. Its probably my guitar and/or pickups! My mids are scooped 24/7 but still.. Even on the rec.. People get pretty amazing tones on the 6505 model. Without scooping the mids.. My 6505 model is so fricking mid heavy even when its completely scooped.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
arent you playing a single coil guitar? that may be the problem.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Haha, nope the its a fat strat :P .
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Quote by amithkallupalam
No tone wasn't at 0. It was at 6. Now its at 10. And its much better. My tones sounds much more clear without much output. The strings aren't sensitive and they dont make the shhh sound when my palm rubs over it. My tone is perfect now. Except that its way too middy. Increasing volume didn't help at all. Just increased gain. And I thinking the only way to fix this is to change the PU.

Volume knob also cuts treble dude. Read my previous post. The lower your volume, the more treble is lost. Which is why a lot of classic rock and blues players roll off the volume to attain a warmer sound.
I tried but it didn't help. I didn't even notice the increase in treble.... . 6505 model still sounds way middy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6fqdrVt0lo
This guy has his mids near 0. But still it sounds amazing. Mine doesn't sound anything like this. Even if the mids are completely scooped!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Quote by amithkallupalam
I tried but it didn't help. I didn't even notice the increase in treble.... . 6505 model still sounds way middy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6fqdrVt0lo
This guy has his mids near 0. But still it sounds amazing. Mine doesn't sound anything like this. Even if the mids are completely scooped!

Eh. That link shows your problem. I wouldnt ever call that good tone I find it sounds very hollow. Then again thats personal preference I guess.....

http://soundcloud.com/arghyadeepmitra/pwd-alone

http://soundcloud.com/arghyadeepmitra/tone-test-peavey-5150-w

5150II/6505 + models. Sloppy playing mind. But thats what I find sounds good. First clip is slightly scooped (BMT 6/5/8) second has a massive mid hump (BMT 5/10/9).
Dude, nice tone, my 6505 doesnt sound anything like this. Mine is pretty bad compared to this. And the other video lacks some bass. Thats it. Otherwise, it wouldve been cool. Man seriously, 6505 on my vypyr sucks.. But everyone else gets good tones out of it.
I turns out I dont suck at equing!! Lol. Will changing pickups help? This guitar is gonna be with me for 2 more years atleast. It plays good and feels solid too. So I'm really considering changing pups.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Dude ill kill myself if my mids on the 6505 are at 10. Seriously.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
^ I dont have a single patch on my RP on which the mids are less thana t least 7/10

And the Vypyr 15 I once tried sounded pretty darn nice IMO
Try the Vypyr with another guitar. If it sounds different, then a change in pups might help.
What wood is your guitar? My guitars are basswood and agathis. The basswood one sounds much more balanced than the agathis one. That one is all bass bass bass with very little treble or sparkle. Thats even though both have the exact same pickups.
Try boosting treble and cutting mids AND bass.
Have you tried using thicker strings? More string tension adds high end. Also, the material of the string helps. Ive noticed DaDarrio (if thats the spelling) Pro Steels tend to sound much more aggressive and bright than Nickelwounds.
Yeah my guitar is agathis and Ive been looking forward to getting prosteels for a long time..
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
^ LOLOLOLOLOL thats the problem.

Agathis tends to be very bassy and lower mid heavy in my experience.

Try this. Im sure your guitar has two volume pots? One for the single coils and one for the humbucker? If so, the one with the single coils will be 250k ohms (I think its ohms?) while the humbucker will be 500k rated. The lower the value, the more the treble cut. Humbuckers use 500k and singles 250 usually. Humbuckers use higher rated pots since they have a natural high end rolloff and need less treble cut as compared to a single coil which is naturally bright sounding.. If its just one volume pot with a single 250K, then there will be a lot of excess treble cut for the humbucker. Try swapping that 500K pot for a 1M pot. Shouldnt cost more than 50 rupees or so, should add some treble, and can be changed back cheaply if it doesnt work. I intend to try the same with my H51 sooner or later. That said, if its just one pot that you have, then swapping for a higher value might make your single coils sound too thin and piercing.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Mar 6, 2012,
Yeah there is just one volume control...
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
^if that control has a single 250k pot, then thats the problem. Wait il check up on it.

EDIT: Checked. Which pacifica do you have? I only found the values for the 1221. Thats got a 500k.
wait..... all this advice for a guy who has been playing for 6 months and has a bottom of the line amp. not trying to be a dick but it just seems that inexperience and inferior gear is to blame here.

OP you can only expect so much out of what you are using. exactly what kind of tone are you trying to get? while both your guitar and amp are good beginner items that is all they are. spending money to try and fix your problem in the manor you have asked is a waste of money. get a better amp for starters or spend more time playing around with the tone of your amp. try different amp settings as maybe one that you hadn't really thought of using would be the ticket. i use a Line 6 POD for recording and often end up using amp models that in real life wouldn't be ideal for the sounds i want. take some time and experiment but keep in mind that your gear has some major limitaions sound wise.
^The vypyr isnt a bad amp at all, it can sound pretty nice once you get the "itsnotsoundingexactlylikesoandsoamp" thing out of the way. TS's problem is that he doesnt know his gear well. The pot swapping idea is a pretty cheap one
Quote by GS LEAD 5
^The vypyr isnt a bad amp at all, it can sound pretty nice once you get the "itsnotsoundingexactlylikesoandsoamp" thing out of the way. TS's problem is that he doesnt know his gear well. The pot swapping idea is a pretty cheap one

+1

I personally do not have any 'Mids' issues with my Vypyr.
Alright I'll see if I can swap the volume pot. Im pretty sure its a 500k pot cuz I hardly notice much of treble cut off I roll it down. Anyway, Ill see if I can change the pot.
Thanks guys!
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Dude, I find I get a better metal tone if I actually boost my mids. For the record, I own a 6505.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i still kept my ss vypyr even after getting a tube amp. still works good for the chugga chugga stuff.
Ibanez Rg 321mh
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
One question, since everything is just way too middy, whats the point in getting a 1m ohm pot? All it'll do is increase treble right?
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
My 75W Vypyr sounds ok to me, I prefer Rec and Krank to 6505 but it's just personal taste.
6505 on my amp seems to have far too much low end boom but that may be my pickups, guitar or the room I play in.
I think the amp is great for what it is, a modelling amp.
Also try a tubescreamer stompbox, it certainly adds to the overall sound.
There's also a pitch shifter tweak which I read about on the Vypyr forum, it makes it sound a bit smoother for want of a better word. Don't forget there's also that voicing selector thing when it powers on if you have the right firmware installed. I have mine set on "darker" all the time.
Quote by Beezerk
My 75W Vypyr sounds ok to me, I prefer Rec and Krank to 6505 but it's just personal taste.
6505 on my amp seems to have far too much low end boom but that may be my pickups, guitar or the room I play in.
I think the amp is great for what it is, a modelling amp.
Also try a tubescreamer stompbox, it certainly adds to the overall sound.
There's also a pitch shifter tweak which I read about on the Vypyr forum, it makes it sound a bit smoother for want of a better word. Don't forget there's also that voicing selector thing when it powers on if you have the right firmware installed. I have mine set on "darker" all the time.

Wait.... what? Really? How do you set it? And I have my tubescreamer on all the time. Tone gets much more tighter and aggressive.
Yamaha Pacifica 012
Peavey Vypyr 15

Quote by jukejointjohnny
Last edited by amithkallupalam at Mar 7, 2012,
Quote by amithkallupalam
One question, since everything is just way too middy, whats the point in getting a 1m ohm pot? All it'll do is increase treble right?

Yep. Doesnt increase rather, reduces the amount that is decreased to be more precise.