Page 1 of 2
This isn't so much a problem, but more or less to understand why this is.
I have a Jackson rr3 that I purchased a few years ago, in an effort to experiment, I took it to guitar center about 2 years ago, and had them replace the stock seymore duncans(which were not bad), with emgs(81/85). Plus a restring and setup. But after a while, I had come to hate the feel and sound of it, very frustrating since I had loved it before I got this done. Took it back to GC and a few other places to fix the sound/feel/strings, but still felt and sounded like complete dogshit. It's been collecting dust the last year, until I grew a pair and restrung the Floyd rose myself a week ago, and to my surprise the guitar feels damn good under my fingers. But the emgs make it sound horrible.
My question is WTF is the problems, why won't the emgs in my Jackson, sound half as good as the same ones in my ESP?
Check the battery for the EMG's?
Axes
Peavey V-Type NTB ST
Peavey PXD 23 II
Jackson JS32T
Ibanez RG 1570
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Blue Royale
ESP LTD EX-50

Amps & Effects
Mesa Boogie Nomad 55
Boss Katana KTN-Head
Roland JC-120
Boss GT-100
Boss ME-80
Zoom G5
What are they made out of?

Did the guy who changed everything also change the rest of the electronics?
What are you referring to? What is they?
I'm not quite sure. The gc tech used the wrong pots for the knobs, told me he didn't have all the right tools for whatever. Overall he was just starting out as a tech and i refuse to go back to him to fix anythig. I took it to another guy who knew his stuff, fixed the pots, but didn't really look at the electronics I don't believe.
By horrible do you mean low on output, thin, or just not what you want it to sound like?
SMILE!
'They' are the guitars. As in, what wood are they made out of?

If the tech hasn't changed the pots (which I'm presuming is for good reason), that could be a difference as well. I believe EMG conversion kits come with their own pots, but don't quote me on this.

Also try to define what you mean with 'horrible' sounding, because people could argue any EMG sounds 'horrible'.
http://www.emgpickups.com/products/index/3/148/1 You see the pots and whatnot on this page? those are supposed to be included with the pups. If he did not use these, it is all utter shit.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
-Jackson Soloist Std. Professional '93
DiMarzio Evolution (bridge) SD Lil' Screamin Demon (neck)

-B.C. Rich Warlock Special Edition Metal Web

-Peavey Bandit 112
The guitar is alder body, my bad.
The emgs did come with their own pots but he didn't use them because he decided to put the battery under the knobs and the new emg pots wouldn't fit, so he used to original pots instead. I took it to someone else and he put the proper pots in and cut a hole in the back of the guitar to put the battery, so that is correct now.
And excuse me for not knowing how to describe the sound, but horrible as in thin and muddy like you said, not sure how to describe it more. Emgs on any other guitar I've played sound bright, good, vibrant; what emgs are expected to sound like. The ones in my Jackson almost sound muffled, like it's only using half the power I guess
get it all rewired or so, I guess. And make sure all parts are originals. Also check the connection between the output jack and the cable's.

-Peavey Bandit 112
I honestly don't care for the guitar anymore, I still like it n all, but I'll probably sell it lol. Those damn emgs I decided to put in it make it completely unacceptable to my ears, which is a shame cause the stock pickups sounded pretty good. It's just been annoying the hell outta me for ever.
But thanks for the input regardless

TS, you need to get 25K pots. EMG's require them. Passive pickups use 500K pots. Your shit will sound completely wrong until you get the correct pots (as I'm sure you can hear).

What kind of ****ing *guitar tech* doesn't change the pots when making a passive - active conversion?

EDIT: You should bust out the soldering iron and re-do all of the connections. Chances are, something isn't right in there.

This is why I always tell everyone to learn how to work on your own guitar. You'll save a lot of money, and you won't have idiots doing stupid shit to your guitar for a very simple procedure.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Mar 5, 2012,
Change back to the duncans, they are great! that's the way to fix all, including your feelings. This time, look for a more qualified dude to fix it.

-Peavey Bandit 112
It has the right pots in it now, the ones the emgs came with, but it still doesn't sound better.

And yes I agree the guys an idiot, he confessed upon meeting him that he didn't know much and that he was still learning, but I didn't think twice. Haven't taken anything back to him since.

And as far as qualified techs, I live in Vegas, theres two guitar centers, and few small shops to get gear fixed, all of which are at least a 40 minute drive, and already had 2 undesirable visits to 2 different small shops, the options are kinda limited.

Btw what the hell is TS? Seen it thrown around a few times, but no idea what it means
TS is "Topic Starter", or "Thread Starter". You're the TS.

Another thing, if the pots are right, does the guitar have a stereo jack? Active pickups need a stereo jack - passives use a mono jack.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have no I idea which kind of jack it has, nor did I know of the stereo/mono jack importance.
But say it is a mono jack, how can I tell the difference? How would one swap it out for a stereo jack? (I can just look it up) and I'm assuming I could get one at guitar center, musiciansfriend?
A stereo jack as two "prongs" (the long metal parts that your cable makes contact with). A mono jack only has one.

IIRC, if you don't have a stereo jack in a guitar with active pickups, the battery won't engage. Or something to that effect.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
And active EMGs with 500k pots will sound remarkably similar to EMG HZ pickups. And the HZ ones sound kinda bad :/
Do you have new version (completely quick connect), or older versions (all solder joints)?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
so i looked it up, and the zakk wylde set is a solderless install, how does that make a difference?
I'm not sure when they switched to solderless. The ZW used to be soldered.

If it's soldered, then that means there's a large margin for error - something could easily be connected wrong, causing the problem. With the solderless set, everything is basically just plug and play, so it's next to impossible for something to be wrong.

You can easily tell which you have by just looking into the cavity. Are there a bunch of plugs, or is stuff connected with solder?

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
with all of these possibilities you guys been throwin my way, it doesnt seem to be connections, electronics,, battery, etc. as far as i can see anyway, gotta take it to get checked out to really know.
but if the emgs actually are correctly installed, as it is now. i still dont understand why it sounds only half as good as the same 81/85 set in my esp, granted my esp is higher quality in every aspect, but my jackson isnt a garbage guitar. can the wood/quality of a guitar drastically change the sound quality of emgs, as in my case? can a poor set up on the jackson ( floyd rose, action) weaken the sound?
The wood will absolutely make a difference. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

That said, there is nothing that should affect the sound so negatively that it sounds as bad as you're describing.

There's definitely something wrong, we just have to troubleshoot until we get to the bottom of the problem

Would it be possible for you to post a high quality picture of the inside of your guitar, so we can see what's going on?

Also, especially since it's quick connect, I have found that simply undoing everything and doing it from scratch works wonders. There's been many a time where I could not find the problem with my pickups, and simply rewiring everything from scratch fixed the problem, even though I never figured out what it was. It's a really good idea for you to do the same.

As you probably know by now, techs are not to be trusted.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
I have a Jackson RR24 with EMG 81 and RR24 with Seymour Duncan Blackouts. The blackouts sound a lot better.
Quote by Y00p
'They' are the guitars. As in, what wood are they made out of?

If the tech hasn't changed the pots (which I'm presuming is for good reason), that could be a difference as well. I believe EMG conversion kits come with their own pots, but don't quote me on this.

Also try to define what you mean with 'horrible' sounding, because people could argue any EMG sounds 'horrible'.

Yep that's the clue most ESP LTD's/ESP's PERIOD are made from Mahogany. Jackson's are made from mostly Basswood, Alderwood. This type of wood will make your guitar sound pretty dark and bassy. Will not be as bright as Mahogany..
My Gear :
Gibson Gothic Explorer
Epiphone Les Paul Zakk Wlyde (Korean)
ESP LTD EC-1000vb
Jackson RR24m
Kramer Focus HSS
Alvarez Acoustic
91-95 Peavey 5150 2x12
Marshall MG 250 DFX 2x12
VOX ToneLab ST Muti Effects
However, It would not hurt to take it in to a tech and see if there is an issue with your Rhodes..

Just a Thought
My Gear :
Gibson Gothic Explorer
Epiphone Les Paul Zakk Wlyde (Korean)
ESP LTD EC-1000vb
Jackson RR24m
Kramer Focus HSS
Alvarez Acoustic
91-95 Peavey 5150 2x12
Marshall MG 250 DFX 2x12
VOX ToneLab ST Muti Effects
Well if all it is, is the alderwood, then I hate alder wood lol. It's noticeable to me enough, that I hate it
Something that hasnt been brought up is the pickup switch, thats not switched with new pick ups. Its possibe its collecting dust in the switch causing everything to sound like crap. I experienced this problem with my zw emgs changed the switch, voila perfect. Also anither thing is emgs sound dull with 1 battery.

So TS, i suggest you get a new switch and look up "emg 18v mod" very simple and improves overall quality. Also the problem could be the setup. Active pickups need to be az close to the stringz as possible. So raise the pu as much as possible without muting the strings. Try using a dif cable maybe?
Also i had emgs zw in my jackson for 3 months no problems. So it cant be the wood considering mine was alder too.
Well I'll raise the pickups later today when I get a chance, cause now that I think about it they aren't very close to the strings. And I'll look into that mod while I'm at it. Thanks jedke
I honestly think the problem is with your electronics somewhere. If its sounding as bad as it is, there has to be some bad connection somewhere. Possibly a bad solder joint in the jack or dirty contacts on the switch. Either that or you've shorted the electronics somewhere for whatever reason and i've heard that can damage the preamp inside the pickups.

The way you can check this is by unplugging the pickups from your LTD and putting the EMG's from the Jackson in it. If the pickups sound the same, its not the pickups that are the problem and its without a doubt, the electronics in the Jackson that are causing the problem.

If i had your guitar right here, i could probably tell you immediately what the problem is; I've had problems with EMG's before.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Mar 7, 2012,
Alder is rather neutral in the tone department, it shouldn't be the blame for this problem.

I'm betting its the pickup height, active pickups have to be a lot closer to the strings than passive ones. On my SA set I had to have them within a nickel's thickness of the strings to get a good balanced tone.

The only other thing I could possibly think of would be an incorrect solder job where the tone pot was wired backwards or the cap is stuck between the volume and output. Is literally everything in there the connector style? Or was the pots and such soldered together?

If its the solder-style pots could you post a gut shot for us?
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Mar 7, 2012,
It's really simple, upload them to a public hosting server like Photobucket. Copy the image URL and put them in between this:

[IMG] insert URL here [/IMG]
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
My experience has been shit with emgs in 25.5 scale guitars too, same sets sound way better in 24.75 setups. Dunno why. Also mahogany vs basswood, but I blame scale.
Page 1 of 2