Has anyone tried one of these? I heard a few clips and it definitely sounds promising. I was contemplating seeing if I could get one for a decent price and throw it in the effects loop of my 5150 to add a different layer of sound and tweak it a little more. Does anyone have any experience with one of these?
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
My buddy with a V3 loves his. I think it would be a fun toy. If you have the cash and don't mind spending it, why not?
I'm just a kickin' and a gougin' in the mud and the blood and the beer.
I use to be a proponent of the BBE. It works kind of like a presence and resonance control for amps that don't have those. Adds sizzle, and low end - but it ends up sounding digital. You'll need to use it sparingly.

A boost or an EQ would be money better spent.

I don't know if my ears, or my technique got better, but now my amps sound better without it.

I have one for sale if you are still interested - $50.
I had the rack mount Sonic Maximizer..which I guess the sonic stomp is the same thing in a pedal.
If you have a crap or low end amp, it does work.
With a quality amp, IMO...its garbage.

With my Vox AD30VT, it made a difference.
With my Vox AC30, it was worthless.
Quote by 667
I use to be a proponent of the BBE. It works kind of like a presence and resonance control for amps that don't have those. Adds sizzle, and low end - but it ends up sounding digital. You'll need to use it sparingly.

A boost or an EQ would be money better spent.

I don't know if my ears, or my technique got better, but now my amps sound better without it.

I have one for sale if you are still interested - $50.

I already have a boost for my 5150 (an Ibanez TS9) and it tightened up and added punch to the low end and midrange so I don't know if this simply shapes the tone a little more or if it, in conjunction with the TS9 and a 5150 (a mid-heavy sound as it is) would make it too harsh. I was more curious about what exactly this would push from my amp tonally (high end, low end, mids, will it tighten, whats the point, etc.). I'm pretty damn happy with my sound already and I'm happy that all I need to get the sound I really like is a single pedal in my chain, but I'm always open to more ideas and this looked interesting. Maybe an EQ would be better money spent in this case.
Quote by CodeMonk
If you have a crap or low end amp, it does work.
With a quality amp, IMO...its garbage.

Yeah I'd be using it with my 5150... some people here would argue it's crap but I beg to differ
Taylor 214CE

I've heard it called the "opposite of a compressor." Would that be true?
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by Krauser
I already have a boost for my 5150 (an Ibanez TS9) and it tightened up and added punch to the low end and midrange so I don't know if this simply shapes the tone a little more or if it, in conjunction with the TS9 and a 5150 (a mid-heavy sound as it is) would make it too harsh. I was more curious about what exactly this would push from my amp tonally (high end, low end, mids, will it tighten, whats the point, etc.). I'm pretty damn happy with my sound already and I'm happy that all I need to get the sound I really like is a single pedal in my chain, but I'm always open to more ideas and this looked interesting. Maybe an EQ would be better money spent in this case.

Yeah I'd be using it with my 5150... some people here would argue it's crap but I beg to differ

What the stomp does is it delays signal components (lows, mids and highs) so that those components leave the speakers at the same time - and hits your ears all at once (tries to make up for the inefficiency of the speaker in that respect). It's that timing thing that makes the ear perceive the tone as fuller. Good in theory and recording (and PA's) - but in the real world of guitar amplification, imo not so much - especially with your 5150 (that's what I have).
Quote by 667
What the stomp does is it delays signal components (lows, mids and highs) so that those components leave the speakers at the same time - and hits your ears all at once (tries to make up for the inefficiency of the speaker in that respect). It's that timing thing that makes the ear perceive the tone as fuller. Good in theory and recording (and PA's) - but in the real world of guitar amplification, imo not so much - especially with your 5150 (that's what I have).

Word aight. I'll probs go with an EQ pedal. A lot of people say the BBE scoops the mids a little in the sense that it emphasizes the lows and highs due to the timing thing. If that's the case, I'll go with an EQ or simply tweak a little more. The last thing I wanna do is overemphasize the high end, especially on a 5150. It's already really bright.
Taylor 214CE

sonic stomps are a great tool if they are used like someone above said.....SPARINGLY! in your case an eq is a better option due to more tonal control but in the future you can always check into a sonic stomp and mess with it.

i use one with a crate blue voodoo and i have the both controls at either noon or one oclock. but i use it in conjunction with an eq in the fx loop. sounds good to me for most applications.
Live Rig
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Telecaster
Michael Kelly Custom Shop Plum Patriot

EVH 5153 50w
Jet City 2x12
Custom Board

It is NOT trash metal it is tHrash metal...get it right
I think all that "sonic maximizer" units do is trick you into thinking it's doing anything at all. If you wanna "sonically maximize" your tone, get better links in the chain.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Basically they are just an EQ. Nothing magic happening in there. As stated, used sparingly, they can enhance your sound. A full EQ pedal would be money more well spent.