Is it possible to get the crunchy Vox AC30 sounds of new Thrice from an AC15C1? I know Teppei uses an older AC30, but mine is a newer AC15 with the top boost/normal channel configuration and a Celestion Greenback speaker. I just love that mix of chimey clarity and crunchy overdrive they have going on. Its smooth, but not muddy. I like the medium gain sounds I'm getting and sort of grungy crunch I can achieve with my Rat 2, but I'm just not getting as close as I'd like to that higher gain Vox sound that Thrice is getting.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
When trying to decide between the two, I noticed that the AC15, at least to my ears, couldn't quite get the "oomph" of the AC30. That is, I'm sure, due to the second speaker, the greater amount of headroom, and the slightly different gain structures of the amps. I would just try playing around with your top boost channel, and if you can't quite get the tone, a boost or overdrive pedal will be your best friend.

Also, be very careful when you're listening for the tone to be sure you're factoring out the sound of the bass guitar. I don't listen to much Thrice, but I do know that I have been guilty of accidentally mistaking bass lines for the low end of a guitar.
Quote by necrosis1193
As usual Natrone's mouth spouts general win.

Quote by Silverstein14
man, Natrone you're some kind of ninja I swear

Quote by gregs1020
plexi

i realize the longshot that is. little giant to humongous one.

Rest In Peace Stevie Ray
Last edited by Natrone at Mar 5, 2012,
I would also attribute the lack of "oomph" to the 112 nature of the amp. I have the same issue with my 5150 112 vs the 212, even though they're the same amp
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
it should be easy to get their newer tones with an AC15...turn the sucker up and boost it slightly.

should be pretty darn close.
main rig:
MIM Tele->VP Jr.->CryBaby->Fuzz Factory->TS808->Carbon Copy->Phase 90->TU-3->Vox AC30CCH+Avatar 212 and Peavey VTM60+Marshall 1960A

Quote by necrosis1193
Fuzz...It's wonderful and horrible and beautiful and repulsive and so many things all at once.
It could be my guitar. Teppei has been favoring ES-335s and Teles lately, not to mention his baritone guitar. I just appreciate that they are pulling off old stuff with their newer and less gainy (but still aggressive) tones.
Fender Telecaster
DeArmond M series
Vox Night Train 15 head w/Weber loaded 1x12
Dunlop DVP3 Volume (X)
Klone circuit/Russian Big Muff 2in 1
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 MOSFET
TC Electronic Nova Delay
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Line 6 M5
I feel like cranking it and throwing the fulldrive in front should get you pretty close. You will never get it exact since they double track things and have post-production and whatnot. But you should be able to get the same sort of sound
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
go for the ac15c2, I got one and its oomph and tone city in there!
Sat for hours comparing th e ac15c1 and ac15c2. c2 was so muchfuller and warmer, with much more head room. Better amp. Frickn heavy though