Hey guys, i'm new here, been checking out the forum lurking for a while and thought i'd finally sign up and post some stuff. As of January of this year, I have decided to start my own company, Avernus Pickups. I am not taking orders yet, and probably won't be for at least a few more months, but I thought you guys would be interested in checking out my progress and some pics of building pickups in general. I come from a manufacturing background, specializing with electronics, so though my company is new and only in the prototyping stages, I am by no means a stranger to copper wire and magnets. My motivation to start this came from the interest in it that I didn't always realize I had, as well as being tired of getting laid off, even after years of college. So, I decided I would try something different, and thus far the response to my ideas and concepts that are in the works has been phenomenal.

Ok enough of the taking and on to the pics of what i've got cooking!

These will be the first prototypes and will come in different sizes (7 string, 8 string, passive and EMG sized, and the bass pickup will have various sizes as well)

The Venom will me a moderate output pickup, each coil will be wound slightly different so that one coil is brighter and gives clarity, while the other is darker and gives warmth. The initial prototype will have a Neodymium magnet, however Ceramic and Alnico V versions will also be made.

This is a very similar design as the Venom, however it obviously gets rid of the rail in sport of more big hex screws (which are bigger than super distortion hex screws, but not quite as big as invader screws)

The spider shown with a concept of a custom etched cover (which will be optional)

This is a very unique design, it is patent pending....a true telecaster pickup made for humbucker guitars.

This one proves that Bass pickups can be mean too, two blade coils, a big ceramic 8 magnet and a varied winding similar to the Venom, however different tonally to accommodate bass frequencies rather than guitar.

I do not have an image of the last prototype, it is named the "Breathtaker" and is a very mean telecaster pickup.... windings closer to a P90 and 6 small Neodymium magnets underneath the slugs. This will be my first completed prototype. The pint of putting 6 small magnets underneath is so it will be similar to having actual Neo slugs, but will get rid of any string pull that strong magnets can cause. The magnets will protrude through the baseplate similar to how the screw side of humbuckers do, but will be short enough to not need extra routing or special screws to mount.

Here's a pic of the "Daydreamer" in Progress(picture is large, so I will only post a link)
http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t445/1stoofus/20120302_120636-1.jpg

and a picture of my modest shop
http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/t445/1stoofus/20120302_144608.jpg
Anything named spider won't get you far around these parts
Like the look of the venom though. Crunch lab much?
Do you have any clips?
Are customs available?
Quote by Dunkelheit-164
Anything named spider won't get you far around these parts
Like the look of the venom though. Crunch lab much?
Do you have any clips?
Are customs available?

Though there is a resemblance to the crunch lab, it will not sound anything like a crunch lab. The hex screws i'm using are different as well as the rail size i'm using, and the winding and magnets are different.

The "Spider" was give the name, because all of the hex screws.

Clips will be available as soon as the prototypes are done and i'm happy with them.

As far as customs, at this time I don't plan to do custom work, but I will have custom options such as etched nickel covers, bobbin colors, and even magnet choices. I do plan to do custom sized pickups EMG sized 7 and 8 string pickups for example so people that want to switch to passive from a stock EMG 7 string are not stuck with gaps from the big routes.
Last edited by AvernusPickups at Mar 5, 2012,
Nice workshop

I really like the designs of the pickups especially the tele-bucker.
But I would seriously redo the designs on the spider. It looks tacky.
Maybe loose strings of web in between the coils instead of a picture of a spider.
Maybe these are just sketches or something, not the ultimate looks?

But most of all I think you really need clips of your pickups and how they sound on various guitars and amps.

Maybe take some clips of other well known pickups in a guitar on a specific shown amp (change settings too) and then put in your pickups using the same gear and settings. Also if they're hooked up with four conductors, show the sound of the coils tapped or split. Best way to do this is using duncan triple shots.

This is what people who are looking for aftermarket pickups are really after.

Or if you don't have the gear for that have someone else do it for you. Donate your pickups to a test pilot. That's good promo
Last edited by Dunkelheit-164 at Mar 5, 2012,
Quote by Dunkelheit-164
Nice workshop

I really like the designs of the pickups especially the tele-bucker.
But I would seriously redo the designs on the spider. It looks tacky.
Maybe loose strings of web in between the coils instead of a picture of a spider.
Maybe these are just sketches or something, not the ultimate looks?

But most of all I think you really need clips of your pickups and how they sound on various guitars and amps.

Maybe take some clips of other well known pickups in a guitar on a specific shown amp (change settings too) and then put in your pickups using the same gear and settings. Also if they're hooked up with four conductors, show the sound of the coils tapped or split. Best way to do this is using duncan triple shots.

This is what people who are looking for aftermarket pickups are really after.

Or if you don't have the gear for that have someone else do it for you. Donate your pickups to a test pilot. That's good promo

Most humbuckers will be four conductor(with the option of 2 conductor), and clips will be of them split as well as non split.

The covered spider is just a concept, and the cover will not be painted, it will be chemically etched. Covers are a ways away...I need to focus on the pickups themselves first, but etched covers will be optional, not a necessity, I will also offer normal covers, no cover option, and I am toying with the idea of powder coated (solid color) nickel covers as well.

I have quite a bit of recording gear, so I will do clips myself, but I also have some other people that are going to do some demos, I can not give names yet because nothing is set in stone until the pickups are done, but demo clips are my top priority.

As far as the triple shot...I don't need it, i've done so much crazy wiring that there isn't anything I can't do with a couple mini switches or a couple of push/pull pots.

While I do not know everything, I am not a stranger to pickups or recording guitars. I have owned MANY guitars in my time, and even more pickups. I have tried so many, trying to find my sound, and have learned a lot about what works and what doesn't work.

To hold you over, here's a clip of a Tele pickup that I rewound. It is not as overwound as the Breathtaker will be, but most people don't believe this is a Tele pickup:
http://soundcloud.com/avernuspickups/can-a-tele-do-metal
Ok, just listened to your clip of the tele pickup you redid...i have to say i'm genuinely excited to see what your products are like. Any idea what price range these will be in? Just out of curiousity.
Just looking at all of the pics, the few prototypes looks very promising. You said an EMG sized pickup is in the works. Could you elaborate more on this pickup. I am an active pickup junkie and was wondering if you were building a EMG based active pickup, based on one of their models and possibly have it coil tappable? Maybe one for a more bridge type, for high gain applications and a nice neck pickup for great glassy cleans, also coil tappable? I'm very excited to see more of your pickups.
Thanks guys.

As far as bass pickups, I do plan to offer different sizes such as stacked humbuckers and such. What I meant by EMG sized pickups is covered and uncovered passive pickups that are able to fit in EMG soapbar (bass, 7 string and 8 string) routes without leaving big gaps on both sides. The majority of 5+ string Basses and 7 and 8 string guitars players come stock with EMGs and players stuck with gaps from the oversized cavities if they choose to switch from EMG's to passive pickups. I also plan to offer designs such as a J pickup in Soapbar sized covers, with exposed slugs, etc. I do not have any plans on an active pickup at this point, nor do I have plans to copy any pickup. All of my designs are directly from my brain and my experience with electronics and trying out many pickups.

These are just the first prototypes, I still have many more designs to come, singles, humbuckers, lower output, and higher output. But I want to focus on only a handful at a time add more models little by little.

Also, for those interested in the clip I posted of the rewound Tele pickup, the pickup has a Neodymium magnet and is just a little hotter than a vintage tele pickup. It's in a Basswood G&L ASAT Classic, and the amp was the Poulin HiBritt and Lecto VST plugins both using Redwirez Marshall cab impulses.

Also on Prices, I want to wait until I am closer to production to release a price list so I can make sure I don't miscalculate anything and then chance prices, but I will say that another big goal is to be cheaper than most handwound pickup makers. I'm only one guy, so I can't compete with say DiMarzio or Duncan's pricing, but those pickups are also not handmade. Yes, I use a winder, but that and a drill press are the only power tools I use. Everything including the first 30 winds of each pickup is completely by hand, from wiring, to installing slugs and screws, to wax potting. You just can't get that kind of care from a mass produced pickup, but I also can't have prices as cheap as a mass produced pickup.
Last edited by AvernusPickups at Mar 5, 2012,