Hey UG,

I've been meaning to change the pups in my Les Paul copy to something of a somewhat higher quality and I'd like to know more about Gibson pups.

Right now I have an Agile Al3000, with a pair of stock Alnico V humbuckers which sound more than decent, surprisingly good even. However I'd like to improve the sound of my axe a bit to get the sound I'm looking for.

What I'm looking for is a set of pups that have a nice vintage output, but that can handle high gain(to the extent of thrash metal). I know some of the Gibson pups are up to the task, I'd just like a few suggestions, any help is appreciated

Many thanks
As an owner of a Gibson Les Paul Studio with Gibson pickups until Friday (got EMGs ), I can say that Gibson pickups are not what you're after. However, upgrading your amplifier can be far much better than upgrading the pickups. Also, you could give us a bit more info about the sounds you want to nail.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

A dimarzio x2n in the bridge is the way to go here imho. You can turn down the volume to lower the output. Or split the coils.
Combine it with a lesser output humbucker in the neck.
And maybe duncan triple shots to give you more tonal options.

It's what I did to my al3000m
Last edited by Dunkelheit-164 at Mar 5, 2012,
Quote by JohnMerrick
Hey UG,

I've been meaning to change the pups in my Les Paul copy to something of a somewhat higher quality and I'd like to know more about Gibson pups.

Right now I have an Agile Al3000, with a pair of stock Alnico V humbuckers which sound more than decent, surprisingly good even. However I'd like to improve the sound of my axe a bit to get the sound I'm looking for.

What I'm looking for is a set of pups that have a nice vintage output, but that can handle high gain(to the extent of thrash metal). I know some of the Gibson pups are up to the task, I'd just like a few suggestions, any help is appreciated

Many thanks

Gibson 57 classic.
I have split coils in my 2010 LP studio and I love them. People have commented on my tone quite a few times, and that is from some musicians whose opinion I can rely on. I play a lot of heavy rock and metal though, but I can get similar sounds to my ESP with EMG 81/85's and those are active.
Quote by Seanthesheep
I actually liked the 498/490 set in gibson LPs, found it to be wuite versatile an pleasant

Same here. I would also have to agree that you're more after something active or super-distortion
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
I'd say Seymour Duncan Custom + '59 or Distortion + Jazz.
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
i wouldn't bother upgrading to gibson pickups,personally. they're fine as stock, but very dear as retrofits. there are better pickups available for less, basically.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Sakke
As an owner of a Gibson Les Paul Studio with Gibson pickups until Friday (got EMGs ), I can say that Gibson pickups are not what you're after. However, upgrading your amplifier can be far much better than upgrading the pickups. Also, you could give us a bit more info about the sounds you want to nail.

Puttin EMG's in a Gibson is treason. Each to their own I guess.
Gear
Bugera 6262 Head
Harley Benton G212 Vintage
Ibanez RGA 121 Prestige
ESP LTD DJ600
Fender USA Stratecaster
Maxon O808
TC Electronic Flashback Delay
ISP Decimator
MXR 10 Band EQ
Boss T-U3 Tuner Pedal
Quote by Adam124
Puttin EMG's in a Gibson is treason. Each to their own I guess.

Hi, id like to inteoduce you to a band called trivium. Their guitarist only uses EMGs and only plays Les paul Customs. And hes endorsed by Gibson with a sinature model in the works

Putting EMGs in a USA PRS is treason tho
Quote by Seanthesheep
Hi, id like to inteoduce you to a band called trivium. Their guitarist only uses EMGs and only plays Les paul Customs. And hes endorsed by Gibson with a sinature model in the works

Putting EMGs in a USA PRS is treason tho

Trivium is not a very good band, sorry they aren't Go get Strung Out's Exile in Oblivion and you'll hear a band that sounds good with EMG's.

And yes puting any actives in a PRS is like punching a baby, you don't do it. I wouldn't put em in a Gibson either.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
Trivium is not a very good band, sorry they aren't Go get Strung Out's Exile in Oblivion and you'll hear a band that sounds good with EMG's.

And yes puting any actives in a PRS is like punching a baby, you don't do it. I wouldn't put em in a Gibson either.

You guys forget Zakk Wylde? Wow. I think you can put any pickups into any guitar you want as long as the sound's good. Wouldn't make sense really to categorize "only metal guitars" and then "only traditional guitars".

Oh and about PRS, there's their own model Torero with EMGs and also Nick Catanese's signature. Oh right, Paul Allender too.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Last edited by Sakke at Mar 7, 2012,
Quote by JohnMerrick
Hey UG,

Many thanks

What amp are you using?

Remember, you're not necessarily wanting to improve the sound of "your guitar", your looking to improve "your sound".
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com