Could you share your modus operandi when you put together a song in a DAW ? I have a lot of stuff that I don't know how to put together coherently and fluidly. For example I have a song which is like 6 minutes long and it's quite progressive and post-rocky and of course I can't nail it from start to finish just by pressing record in reaper and playing the guitar...so I guess the common ''approach'' is to record perfectly different ''measures'' of the song and than put them together somehow, but what's your way to do this ?
If you're going to record in sections, then you need to tempo map the whole song out and use a click track that will match those changes (Logic's does this automatically, not sure about the other DAW's). Then you're easiest way is to set up punch-in regions so you record what you need (maybe start a bar early and end a bar late) and then you play leading up to the punch in and carry on 'til the DAW stops recording. You should then be able to simply crossfade between takes.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.