I've been looking at something like the Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy but was wondering if using delay pedals through an amp will in any way sound better than VST delays applied within the PC recording?

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Chargrill3d at Mar 5, 2012,
The simple answer is: maybe.

It'll be a somewhat different sound. It'll get power amp filtration all over the delay, making it warmer and a little lower-fi. Also, I've never found a VST that adequately imitated an analog delay. The most important difference for me is that I can hear the delay as I play, allowing me to incorporate it into my playing better, but that may not be as important to you.

The flip side is that the VSTs are much more flexible (you can go back and change them after recording, and they probably have more options) and if you run your power amp in breakup, you won't get that ugly distorted-delay sound.

So it'll be better for some situations and worse for others.
Money beats soul every time.

Money beats soul...every time.

Money...beats soul...every...goddamn...time.
It's up to you, really.

Depending on how much you want to spend on the plugin, the pedal might be the better option - However, if you're just using it for recordings, I'd suggest using a plugin, unless you want to do some extra work.

With plugins, you can always add new effects, edit effects, take off effects, etc. With a pedal, you're stuck with the sound you recorded, and in order to change it, you have to rerecord the whole track. Of course, there's ways to simplify this. You can always track DIs and then reamp them later through whatever amp and pedals you want. It's more work, but it's an option.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
the advantage of plugins is that you can instantiate them later. but I always operate by if the effect is part of the performance, it's tracked in front. If it's just adding a little delay to a lead it could probably wait til mixdown
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
It will sound different, but subtly so. It depends, for one thing, if you're going direct in and using amp simulation or recording a cabinet. If you're using amp simulators, I don't see there being much point, you can simply put the delay before the amp sim in the signal chain and achieve near enough the same effect, but just trying to stick a delay onto a recording of a cab afterwards will get different results.

The most important difference for me is that I can hear the delay as I play, allowing me to incorporate it into my playing better, but that may not be as important to you.

I don't see this as being an issue at all, in any adequate DAW you can monitor the track with the VST's as you play.
Quote by fastlanestoner
the advantage of plugins is that you can instantiate them later. but I always operate by if the effect is part of the performance, it's tracked in front. If it's just adding a little delay to a lead it could probably wait til mixdown

Yeah, that's definitely a good point, but at the same time, if you're tracking DIs, you can setup the delay plugin to your liking and monitor them through headphones/monitors, so you can still focus on the performance with the delay.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Cheers for the replies - I've noticed that Guitar Rig has some interesting delays and so far sending amp recordings through those sound great. The question was really if the pedal recordings would enhance the delay or not.
I've got the TC Electronics Flashback delay and made a direct comparison with Guitar Rig and there's no doubt recording a real pedal sounds better - it sounds thicker and warmer. That said Guitar Rig does sound pretty damn good as well - you can't go too badly wrong with either but the pedal is definitely superior.