Page 1 of 2
Ok, in getting an Orange TH30H in a few weeks but there are many complaints that the stock Chinese tubes are bad and noisy so I want to replace them immediately cos i want to make the most out of an expensive amp. I've got $200 max and I need 4 EL84 power tubes and 4 12AX7 Preamp Tubes.

I've looked at a few thing but I have no idea what's better.
I'm looking at:
Mesa: http://www.thomann.de/gb/mesa_boogi...q5_pair_grn.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/mesa_boogie_12ax7_wxt.htm

Sovtek: http://www.thomann.de/gb/sovtek_roehre_el84_paar.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/sovtek_roehre_12ax7_wxtps.htm

The Amp Doctor (TAD):
http://www.thomann.de/gb/tad_rt874_...tr_quartett.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/tad_rt274_...cz_quartett.htm

http://www.thomann.de/gb/tad_rt001_...c83_12ax7ac.htm

Which should I get? I play Classic Rock, Hard Rock, a bit of metal and I also play blues and funk so I want a good clean tone. I love the guns n roses rythm distortion tone and John frusciante's clean tone. What do you think of JJ tubes? Are they really that much worse? I can't afford groove tubes by the way.

Also, how easy is it to swap tubes? I assume that it's pretty much like changing a light bulbs. It's a class A amp so it shouldn't need biasing should it do it should be really simple, thanks.
When in doubt, just buy JJs. They're fine. They're also pretty dark, so they should suit the TH30 nicely (which can have a bit of a hard edge to it). If you want, you can buy an additional, brighter tube to try in the V1 position (TungSol and TAD come to mind), though I don't think it will be necessary.

Personally, I like to buy my tubes here:
www.tubetown.de
Much better selection than thomann when it comes to tubes.

No way in hell is the TH30 a class-A amp. Whether the bias is adjustable I don't know, I'll look into it.

By the way, the stock tubes in my friend's TH30 aren't noisy at all. One preamp tube shat itself after about a year of use. Smooth sailing otherwise.
I LOVE the EHX tubes! I would advise staying away from Groove Tubes, as they are Chinese as well
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by TheQuailman
When in doubt, just buy JJs. They're fine. They're also pretty dark, so they should suit the TH30 nicely (which can have a bit of a hard edge to it). If you want, you can buy an additional, brighter tube to try in the V1 position (TungSol and TAD come to mind), though I don't think it will be necessary.

Personally, I like to buy my tubes here:
www.tubetown.de
Much better selection than thomann when it comes to tubes.

No way in hell is the TH30 a class-A amp. Whether the bias is adjustable I don't know, I'll look into it.

By the way, the stock tubes in my friend's TH30 aren't noisy at all. One preamp tube shat itself after about a year of use. Smooth sailing otherwise.

What?? Say that again please? http://www.orangeamps.com/th30-head/

I don't especially like dark tones and i certainly don't want to mix power tubes. JJ's also sounds compressed and harsh on highs to me and i don't like that. What's a V1 position?
I'm leaning towards the TAD cos although the sovtek sounds really dynamic and rich it doesn't seem to cut into the mix. I haven't heard the mesa yet though. I think i'll stick with Thomann cos I'll be buying it all at the same to to save on shipping fees.

So, between EHX, Mesa and TAD. Any recommendations?
The Thunder is a class A amp in the way that an AC30 and AC15 are - that is, they're not class A, just advertised as such.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. Class A doesn't mean better.

Mesa tubes are JJ or Sovtek depending on the tube, so don't bother paying extra there. You should also be buying from a tube dealer that tests tubes, not Thomann or a big retailer. Your odds of getting a bad tube from one of those dealers is much higher.

EHX power tubes are ok, but a bit bassy and muddy. Probably not a good fit for the Orange. Sovtek will be decent, but JJ definitely makes the finest EL84 on the market right now by a wide margin.

For preamp tubes, probably a Tung-sol in V1 (preamp tube farthest from the power tubes) and the rest EH.
This is what you should do...

1. Save your money
2. Take possession of the amp
3. Play and listen to said amp
4. Tweak and repeat step 3 until it doesn't get any better
5. Decide WITH YOUR OWN EARS if you should be blowing cash on a compliment of tubes
^ Great point. I missed the part where he doesn't even have the amp yet.

Get the amp first, break in the tubes, then decide what needs to be different. Also, if you don't like dark tones, you probably shouldn't be looking at an Orange.
Quote by Roc8995
The Thunder is a class A amp in the way that an AC30 and AC15 are - that is, they're not class A, just advertised as such.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter. Class A doesn't mean better.

Mesa tubes are JJ or Sovtek depending on the tube, so don't bother paying extra there. You should also be buying from a tube dealer that tests tubes, not Thomann or a big retailer. Your odds of getting a bad tube from one of those dealers is much higher.

EHX power tubes are ok, but a bit bassy and muddy. Probably not a good fit for the Orange. Sovtek will be decent, but JJ definitely makes the finest EL84 on the market right now by a wide margin.

For preamp tubes, probably a Tung-sol in V1 (preamp tube farthest from the power tubes) and the rest EH.

I know that class A isn't better, I just wanted to prove him wrong. But what are the reasons for advertising it as a Class A amp. If I change the tubes will I have to bias them or not?
Why are JJs the best on the market? Reliability or Sound? Or both?
I've never heard of Tung-Sol, what makes them better than TAD or JJ or Sovtek?
Quote by Roc8995
^ Great point. I missed the part where he doesn't even have the amp yet.

Get the amp first, break in the tubes, then decide what needs to be different. Also, if you don't like dark tones, you probably shouldn't be looking at an Orange.

No, thats the thing, i don't want it to sound exceedingly dark by adding extra darkness :/
I love the sound of the orange amp but i just get the feeling that by getting new tubes it could sound even better.
It's cathode bias, so you don't have to bias it. The reason for advertising it as a Class A amp is that it makes it sound like it's a better amp than a Class A/B amp to people who don't understand the difference. "Class A" sounds like a desirable characteristic if you don't know what the term actually means. "Class A/B" sounds less impressive if you don't know what it means.

JJs are the best EL84s for you because they actually sound good in Oranges. Sovteks are tinny, EHs are mushy, TAD sound interesting but nothing like an 84. Ei used to be good before they went out of business. JJ also tend to be one of the more reliable makers across the board.

Tung-Sol are a brighter and more defined 12AX7 and generally make amps a lot more lively when used in V1. You should probably not be using JJs in the preamp of that amp. TAD 12AX7s aren't anything special except expensive, and Sovtek are durable but boring. The Chinese 12AX7s that come in your amp are probably decent tubes if they're the 9th Gen Sinos.

Again, though, you should really play the amp for a few weeks at least before you start messing with the tubes. You need to break in the tubes and speaker and then listen for tweaks you want to make. Buying new tubes before you even have the amp isn't a great idea.
Quote by TheDuckMajor
What?? Say that again please? http://www.orangeamps.com/th30-head/

I'm just gonna relate one bit: Marketing departments reeeeaaally like terms like "class A". They sound nifty to them.

Quote by TheDuckMajor
I don't especially like dark tones

And I didn't say the amp would sound dark with JJs. I said it would tame it a bit, which is good with the TH30, imo. Make it a little smoother.

Make no mistake, the TH30 is not a dark amp (unless you dial it in to be dark, of course), and JJ tubes won't change that. We're talking about subtle differences, if anything.

Quote by TheDuckMajor
and i certainly don't want to mix power tubes.

Thankfully, you don't need to. And nobody suggested you do. In conclusion: What?

Quote by TheDuckMajor
JJ's also sounds compressed and harsh on highs to me and i don't like that.

So it's dark and also has too many highs? Are you speaking from experience or is it just something you heard? Serious question, not taking the piss for once.

Quote by TheDuckMajor
What's a V1 position?

Valve 1 = First tube in the signal path. Usually the tube closest to the input-socket. With the TH30 the tube closest to the socket is for the clean channel, the one next to it is the first tube of the dirt channel. Neither is named V1 if I recall correctly (Oranges can be weird like that).
The first tube in the signal path is the one with the biggest effect on your amp's tone - this is where you put your best tube, and where experimenting with different ones pays off the most.

Quote by TheDuckMajor
I'm leaning towards the TAD cos although the sovtek sounds really dynamic and rich it doesn't seem to cut into the mix. I haven't heard the mesa yet though.

Any Sovtek I've had sounded flat and dull, comparatively. Supposedly some of their preamp tubes are nice though. Avoid their EL84s.

Quote by TheDuckMajor
I think i'll stick with Thomann cos I'll be buying it all at the same to to save on shipping fees.

Fair enough.

Quote by TheDuckMajor
So, between EHX, Mesa and TAD. Any recommendations?

TAD is fine, but a bit expensive, worth it for the first position(s) in the signal path(s) though. Their highest-grade stuff is waaayyy pricey though, you can get NOS tubes for what they charge already. The stuff under 20€ seems okay though. Otherwise, TungSol isn't too different.
Penta Labs (rebranded Shuguang) tubes are a bit more balanced, not as middy as JJs, also worth a look. Dunno if thomann stocks them.
Mesa just rebrands stuff and charges you for it - avoid.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 5, 2012,
Quote by Roc8995
You should probably not be using JJs in the preamp of that amp.

Disagree, a bit of high-frequency roll-off wouldn't hurt that amp. It gets fizzy with the shape knob turned to the left a bit (was running it with V30s, probably didn't help).

+1 on everything else, though I think the non-ridiculously-priced TADs are fine.

You've got a schem of that amp by any chance? I could use one.
Quote by TheQuailman
Disagree, a bit of high-frequency roll-off wouldn't hurt that amp. It gets fizzy with the shape knob turned to the left a bit (was running it with V30s, probably didn't help).

+1 on everything else, though I think the non-ridiculously-priced TADs are fine.

You've got a schem of that amp by any chance? I could use one.

The Rocker I tried was with a pair of Greenbacks, so that probably made a big difference in the high end. Of course, Orange cabs have V30s so that's probably how it's supposed to sound.

As far as fizz, I tend to set up Oranges with the shape knob farther left and/or the treble down so they get fuzzy instead of fizzy. Perhaps I "play" them dark when they're actually not.

As far as schematics - I'll check what I have on my hard drive at home, but Orange schems are notoriously hard to find.
Quote by TheQuailman
I'm just gonna relate one bit: Marketing departments reeeeaaally like terms like "class A". They sound nifty to them.

And I didn't say the amp would sound dark with JJs. I said it would tame it a bit, which is good with the TH30, imo. Make it a little smoother.

Make no mistake, the TH30 is not a dark amp (unless you dial it in to be dark, of course), and JJ tubes won't change that. We're talking about subtle differences, if anything.

Thankfully, you don't need to. And nobody suggested you do. In conclusion: What?

So it's dark and also has too many highs? Are you speaking from experience or is it just something you heard? Serious question, not taking the piss for once.

Valve 1 = First tube in the signal path. Usually the tube closest to the input-socket. With the TH30 the tube closest to the socket is for the clean channel, the one next to it is the first tube of the dirt channel. Neither is named V1 if I recall correctly (Oranges can be weird like that).
The first tube in the signal path is the one with the biggest effect on your amp's tone - this is where you put your best tube, and where experimenting with different ones pays off the most.

Any Sovtek I've had sounded flat and dull, comparatively. Supposedly some of their preamp tubes are nice though. Avoid their EL84s.

Fair enough.

TAD is fine, but a bit expensive, worth it for the first position(s) in the signal path(s) though. Their highest-grade stuff is waaayyy pricey though, you can get NOS tubes for what they charge already. The stuff under 20€ seems okay though. Otherwise, TungSol isn't too different.
Penta Labs (rebranded Shuguang) tubes are a bit more balanced, not as middy as JJs, also worth a look. Dunno if thomann stocks them.
Mesa just rebrands stuff and charges you for it - avoid.

you make me seem very stupid

About the JJs, i though that YOU said that they were darksounding, my mistake. im taking my conclusions from what i hear in videos.
I wont be getting sovteks anyway.

I thought that when you said puttnig one tube in V1 and others in the rest you may have been talking abou the power amp tubes

I think ill trust you guys and do what roc33 said. I'll wait first and then get them. Should i also be getting an EH preamp tube for the phase inverter then or should i get the tung-sol?
Quote by TheDuckMajor
you make me seem very stupid

About the JJs, i though that YOU said that they were darksounding, my mistake. im taking my conclusions from what i hear in videos.
I wont be getting sovteks anyway.

I thought that when you said puttnig one tube in V1 and others in the rest you may have been talking abou the power amp tubes

I think ill trust you guys and do what roc33 said. I'll wait first and then get them. Should i also be getting an EH preamp tube for the phase inverter then or should i get the tung-sol?

Oh, I did say JJs were dark - but it's all subtleties. It won't make the amp excessively dark. Tubes are just one part of the circuit, so their influence on the tone is limited. For example, I use dark tubes, but my amp is still pretty bright.

And yah, just play it for a while and see what you like and dislike about it. If you want to, get an ECC83 from EHX, TungSol and JJ each, and one at a time, swap them for one of the stock tubes (as mentioned, the two positions closest to the input will show the biggest effect). See if you like it. Don't buy a whole set just yet, that might backfire.

Lastly, judging what will sound good from videos is terribly difficult. It can also differ from amp to amp.
Quote by Roc8995
The Rocker I tried was with a pair of Greenbacks, so that probably made a big difference in the high end. Of course, Orange cabs have V30s so that's probably how it's supposed to sound.

As far as fizz, I tend to set up Oranges with the shape knob farther left and/or the treble down so they get fuzzy instead of fizzy. Perhaps I "play" them dark when they're actually not.

As far as schematics - I'll check what I have on my hard drive at home, but Orange schems are notoriously hard to find.

Thanks. Yeah, Orange doesn't like to make schems available. Couldn't find one on the net so far.

The TH30 isn't as dark as the Rocker, though it's been some time since I've played the latter.
The real bummer is that the TH30 has no EQ-ing on the dirty channel except for the shape-knob. With the wrong speakers (and tubes, I assume), it's either fizzy or it's muffled.
Thanks guys,
I just found out that a local shop sells JJs and TADs pretty cheap and another one sells EHs so i may not be buying from thomann or tube-town.
If i were to put a TAD in the V1 how different would it be compared to the Tung-Sol tubes? I get the feeling that they're very similar but i just want to know for sure.

So, JJs in the Power amp.
What in the Preamp? So far I'm at TAD/Tung-Sol in V1 but i don't know whether i should get JJs or EHs for the rest.
TADs in V1 sound sort of hollow. TADs have always been disappointing to me, especially considering the price. A Tung-sol is going to have a tad more gain (not necessarily noticeable) and a little more brightness. The TAD sounds more transparent and sort of punchy but again, not a lot going on there. It's a bit of a boring tube.

The rest of the preamp doesn't make nearly as much of a difference. I tend to go for JJs but EH are going to be nearly the same and are usually less expensive.
Ok, thanks. The EHs are only $0.50 less and I'll be buying JJs from the same shop so I'll probably be able to haggle the price down (I live in Israel, the shop owners have parties every time someone doesn't try to haggle ).

Are their any other good alternatives to Tung-Sol? Im not sure i want to spend loads on shipping and Thomann doesn't sell them.
What do you have access to? The TAD are probably the closest, but they're even more expensive most of the time. To be perfectly honest the Sino Gen9 is a perfectly good 12AX7, and that's what comes stock. You might want to try it before discounting it.
Oops, my mistake, they do sell Tung-Sol:
http://www.thomann.de/gb/tungsol_nn099g_roehre_12ax7ecc803g.htm
Is this one suitable?

Also, They don't have JJ EL84 so I'll be getting them from here.
The JJ 12AX7s are actually cheaper than the EHs and Sovteks on thomann, are the worse? The sovteks are completely noise free. but i do like the description of the JJs.

http://www.thomann.de/gb/jj_nn003_roehre_ecc83s.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/sovtek_roehre_12ax7_wxtps.htm
http://www.thomann.de/gb/sovtek_roehre_12_ax7_wa.htm

What does military grade mean?
They're not noise free. More ad people taking liberties with the truth. Military grade used to mean something, too, but not any more.

The JJs are probably going to sound better.

Odd that Thomann only has the gold pin Tung-Sol. They're a lot more expensive than the regular version, and don't sound all that much different.
"Military grade" means high-quality. Or it used to. At this point in time, you can just regard it as another marketing-term.

JJs aren't worse than EHX, but a tad different. With tubes, it's hard to rate something as objectively good or bad (except maybe for durability), it all depends on the purpose. In many cases, it doesn't make much of a difference even if it's this tube or that tube. If you can't get every single tube you want right now, don't worry about it. Just get what you can; your amp will work and sound good either way. Tubes really are about fine-tuning. You won't be able to do that without having played the amp for a couple of weeks first, and after that, you'll likely find that it's not so bad completely stock.

The JJ you linked to is the one I was thinking about. The TungSol you linked to is a version with gold pins... the standard is roughly half the price. I wouldn'd pay 24€ for that tube.

Low-noise tubes can sound pretty dead. Also, the TH30 isn't a terribly noisy amp, so don't worry about that.
Quote by Roc8995
They're not noise free. More ad people taking liberties with the truth. Military grade used to mean something, too, but not any more.

The JJs are probably going to sound better.

Odd that Thomann only has the gold pin Tung-Sol. They're a lot more expensive than the regular version, and don't sound all that much different.

I'm not worry about that. After all, it's only one tube, I'm not buying four so I'm not losing 40 euros.

If it sounds better, i don't mind.
Quote by Roc8995
What do you have access to? The TAD are probably the closest, but they're even more expensive most of the time. To be perfectly honest the Sino Gen9 is a perfectly good 12AX7, and that's what comes stock. You might want to try it before discounting it.

I've searched the Sino Gen9 on google and i cant find anything about it. It's not even on their website.
I read that after years of making superior EL84s, the JJs are on the decline. I believe it was Doug at dougstubes that suggested getting the Ruby rebranded JJs for an EL84 replacement as they have been triple checked or something by Ruby.

For preamp tubes or anything else they are great. Love me some JJ

If that is true then I'd go TAD for power but I have no direct experience with their stuff.

It is nice to have spares as well, but it would make sense to wait until you've played your amp a good week or so before thinking about new tubes. I may have missed it but are your speakers going to be new too or what kind of cab do you have?

I can also recommend Penta Labs (Sino I believe) 9th Gen and JAN Phillips 5751 if you can find one.
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Mar 5, 2012,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I read that after years of making superior EL84s, the JJs are on the decline. I believe it was Doug at dougstubes that suggested getting the Ruby rebranded JJs for an EL84 replacement as they have been triple checked or something by Ruby.

For preamp tubes or anything else they are great. Love me some JJ

If that is true then I'd go TAD for power but I have no direct experience with their stuff.

It is nice to have spares as well, but it would make sense to wait until you've played your amp a good week or so before thinking about new tubes. I may have missed it but are your speakers going to be new too or what kind of cab do you have?

It's gonna be a Harley Benton G212 Vintage or an Orange PPC212-OB. Hopefully the Orange if i save enough money but currently the Harley Benton seems more likely.

Where did you read that stuff about the JJs?
^^Pentas are Shuguans if I'm not mistaken, but yah, they're good.

^Orange cabs are nice, but the HB cab with V30s is incredible value for the money. Not a bad choice at all.
Last edited by TheQuailman at Mar 5, 2012,
That's too bad about the JJs. I have a stockpile so I haven't bought any JJ 84s in a long time. If he's just suggesting using the Ruby ones, though, that means they're just having reliability problems, not that they sound worse.

Given the number of really cheap single-tube EL84 amps that have come out recently, it doesn't surprise me that they're making them faster and cutting some corners on the QC to keep up.

So what that means is that places like Doug's can't really sell JJs because they have to trash a lot of bad ones and can't keep the same price as Guitar Center while doing so, but Ruby gets them cheaper and can rebrand effectively. It's too bad, but at least you can still buy tested JJs. I bet Tubedepot will continue to carry properly tested JJs.
Quote by Roc8995
Sorry, Gen9 just meant the 9th generation, which is when they finally got the 'recipe' right for their preamp tubes. Most places have the 9th gen in stock by now.
http://tubedepot.com/si-12ax7a.html

What do orange use for the power amp? Sino don't have an EL84 listed on the website i think.
I listed to a video of the Sinos vs JJs 12ax7 on youtube and i actually like the Sino more but it was a low quality video so im not gonna base anything on that.

So do orange use the Sino tubes? Are they actually that good? how do they compare with the other tubes we've been talking about?
RocColin - yeah, pretty much exactly what you said. It was a reliability thing too not a tonal one.

Quote by TheQuailman

You're probably right. +1

Quote by TheDuckMajor
It's gonna be a Harley Benton G212 Vintage or an Orange PPC212-OB. Hopefully the Orange if i save enough money but currently the Harley Benton seems more likely.

I def would not worry about new tubes until your cab breaks in and you get to 'know' what you want to tweak. Like I said, spares are always good so I'm not trying to talk you out of anything.

Quote by TheDuckMajor

Where did you read that stuff about the JJs?

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1504799&highlight=EL84+JJs
Quote by TheQuailman

^Orange cabs are nice, but the HB cab with V30s is incredible value for the money. Not a bad choice at all.

Yeah, but on the thomann website all the clips sounds much darker and more lifeless on the Harley benton. I'm not sure how that's possible when only difference between the cabs is thickness of the wood. I assume that on the harley Benton they had bad mic placement or used a different amp but im really not sure.
Ok, another question.
My local shop gives 90 warranty on tubes so in theory if I got a crap JJ I could just return it. But how long do the crap ones last? On the thread In the link they complain about them dying in a few days, does that mean that if mine doesnt die within a few weeks or so it's a good one? The JJs still sound good right?
I just dont wanna buy tubes from an unknown Chinese website and pay shitloads of extra shipping.
Quote by TheDuckMajor
Ok, another question.
My local shop gives 90 warranty on tubes so in theory if I got a crap JJ I could just return it. But how long do the crap ones last? On the thread In the link they complain about them dying in a few days, does that mean that if mine doesnt die within a few weeks or so it's a good one? The JJs still sound good right?
I just dont wanna buy tubes from an unknown Chinese website and pay shitloads of extra shipping.

a preamp tube could last for two seconds or 50 years. there are still fender blackface amps out there with origional tubes, as well as older marshall JTM45's and plexis.

i was in the same thread as 311 regarding JJ. i have no solid evidence nor truth to the claim. sometimes rumers are spread around, sometimes things are legit. if Doug said it i would tend to trust him, but again just consider that.

i have all JJ's in my Nitro KT88's as well, a Shingung (however you spell) it in V1 of the Promod (KT88's as well) with everything else being JJ except for one of the other preamp tubes, can't remember at the moment.

i just bought a Sovtek Mig 50, it does have all Sovtek tubes, the guy i bought it is a tech who fixes and flips amps, in addition to any modding/maintenance people want, he is very respected. he tested every tube with me over his shoulder and explaining different things, and all the tubes he gave me were perfect (new), and were the best for my amp in that position. so regarding that i really like the sound of Sovteks in that amp. smooth like butta.

i don't do a ton of swapping around, but i will once in a while.

i have an orange dual terror, i think i got it 18 months ago give or take a few. i have gotten so much usage with the stock tubes, they are still in there. its kind of a if it ain't broken, don't fix it. it sounds how i like want it to.

OP- Get you amp and play it for a while before replacing tubes. manufacturers sometimes send out good tubes in their amps in some batches. i am sure they balance the cost to benefit ration on tubes. orange is respected, i doubt they will send you something with notably shitty quality. see what you got, see what you like.

Chinese tubes doesn't make them bad anymore, some a quite well. i know Scott Splawn is advising Sino's for a while in his amp. he uses what best fits and complements his amps, he would advise a tube he didn't like coming on his amps.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Mar 6, 2012,
Quote by trashedlostfdup
a preamp tube could last for two seconds or 50 years. there are still fender blackface amps out there with origional tubes, as well as older marshall JTM45's and plexis.

i was in the same thread as 311 regarding JJ. i have no solid evidence nor truth to the claim. sometimes rumers are spread around, sometimes things are legit. if Doug said it i would tend to trust him, but again just consider that.

i have all JJ's in my Nitro KT88's as well, a Shingung (however you spell) it in V1 of the Promod (KT88's as well) with everything else being JJ except for one of the other preamp tubes, can't remember at the moment.

i just bought a Sovtek Mig 50, it does have all Sovtek tubes, the guy i bought it is a tech who fixes and flips amps, in addition to any modding/maintenance people want, he is very respected. he tested every tube with me over his shoulder and explaining different things, and all the tubes he gave me were perfect (new), and were the best for my amp in that position. so regarding that i really like the sound of Sovteks in that amp. smooth like butta.

i don't do a ton of swapping around, but i will once in a while.

i have an orange dual terror, i think i got it 18 months ago give or take a few. i have gotten so much usage with the stock tubes, they are still in there. its kind of a if it ain't broken, don't fix it. it sounds how i like want it to.

OP- Get you amp and play it for a while before replacing tubes. manufacturers sometimes send out good tubes in their amps in some batches. i am sure they balance the cost to benefit ration on tubes. orange is respected, i doubt they will send you something with notably shitty quality. see what you got, see what you like.

Chinese tubes doesn't make them bad anymore, some a quite well. i know Scott Splawn is advising Sino's for a while in his amp. he uses what best fits and complements his amps, he would advise a tube he didn't like coming on his amps.

Thanks a lot.
But that still doesn't answer my question of whether the JJ EL84s are "good ones" and are going to last for a long time if they don't die within a few weeks.
Quote by TheDuckMajor
Thanks a lot.
But that still doesn't answer my question of whether the JJ EL84s are "good ones" and are going to last for a long time if they don't die within a few weeks.

if we knew what the "good ones" are we would be buying them and telling you.

i doubt there is enough of a database for differences in JJ tubes over the last six months. take the gamble.

if there is a problem buy some off of a shop that has a good stock of them and hopefully they were older.

i answered your question. i preamp tube 2 minutes to 50 years. there are some with powertubes that old as well.

if they were defective from the factory, the would probably die before 90 days, generally power amp tubes last 18months to 3 years, although i have had much better luck.

however: they aren't made like they were anymore. if you think about it, how many things that you know of use tubes besids guitar amps, hifi amps, and ham radio and some larger radio broadcasting stations.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I buy quite a few JJ EL84's and I'm yet to come across a bad one. A lot of the other brands don't like being in cathode biased amps so wtf is the use of them?

Here's how I'd attack it. JJ everywhere to start with. Try some of their ECC803's as well, especially in V1. Those are a now noise variant. Can cause microphonic problems in combos but otherwise they are a very nice sounding tube.
Then grab a few other 12AX7's and just experiment. In amps that I actually care about I go for NOS tubes because quite frankly they crap on anything made today.
If it comes down to a choice between Sino (Shuguang) and Sovtek I'd choose Shugs every time. The 7th gen ones aren't so good (12AX7A) but 8th (12AX7B) and 9th (12AX7C) are so much better than Sovteks that it's laughable.
Some people swear by Genalex Gold Lions in the preamp but I have no experience with those. Just go out and buy a heap of different ones and experiment - but start with all JJ as your base configuration and go from there.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 6, 2012,
Quote by Cathbard
I buy quite a few JJ EL84's and I'm yet to come across a bad one. A lot of the other brands don't like being in cathode biased amps so wtf is the use of them?

Here's how I'd attack it. JJ everywhere to start with. Try some of their ECC803's as well, especially in V1. Those are a now noise variant. Can cause microphonic problems in combos but otherwise they are a very nice sounding tube.
Then grab a few other 12AX7's and just experiment. In amps that I actually care about I go for NOS tubes because quite frankly they crap on anything made today.
If it comes down to a choice between Sino (Shuguang) and Sovtek I'd choose Shugs every time. The 7th gen ones aren't so good (12AX7A) but 8th (12AX7B) and 9th (12AX7C) are so much better than Sovteks that it's laughable.
Some people swear by Genalex Gold Lions in the preamp but I have no experience with those. Just go out and buy a heap of different ones and experiment - but start with all JJ as your base configuration and go from there.

Thanks. So, I just want to understand... Does the Orange Thunder 30 come stock with Sino 12AX7-Cs and Sino EL84s? Are the Sino EL84s good and reliable?
I think I'll put some JJs in the power amp as originally expected and I'll put a tung-sol cos I really like the look of it. I'll have to think about whether to keep the Sino's or put in JJs in the rest of the preamp. It's good getting reassurance from you cathbard
Page 1 of 2