Yes, but I regret buying one
3 2%
No, but I'd really like one
26 21%
No, and I think they are useless
76 62%
Voters: 122.
Page 1 of 3
With the rise of tablets already here, people seem to have mixed feelings. Some think it's an awesome innovation in technology, and some think it's just a useless watered down laptop.

Geeks of the pit, how do you feel about tablets?
I don't think they are completely useless, and there are people that would benefit from them, but 90% of tablet owners are not those people.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
I own an IPad, it's cool. I wouldn't consider it a computer though. It's not capable of a lot.
I don't own one, but none of the poll answers reflects my feelings on them.
I don't need one, so I won't buy one unless that changes.

However, what's 9 1/2 inches long and satisfies any ****?

An iPad.
Quote by lushacrous
I don't think they are completely useless, and there are people that would benefit from them, but 90% of tablet owners are not those people.

This, but I think it's a higher percentage myself. Probably between 95-98.
I don't want one. I have a perfectly fine computer. And if I need it to be portable i'll get a laptop.

Tablets are pretty useless to me.
A cool toy to have, but certainly not a necessity.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
There are some people who benefit greatly from them; particularly students, who can carry all their textbooks around in a handy little device when laptops are too heavy or bulky to carry around everywhere.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by behind_you
They're not computers. I don't know where you got that word from TS.

Agreed. I wouldn't consider mine anything close to a computer. Just an enjoyable portable device. I certainly hate the touch keyboard though.

The not something you would pick over a laptop. There not nearly as capable. They are very portable. They provide a bit of enjoyment. In no way are they necessary. If you have the spare cash I would recommend one though.
Quote by mybanez
Agreed. I wouldn't consider mine anything close to a computer. Just an enjoyable portable device. I certainly hate the touch keyboard though.

The not something you would pick over a laptop. There not nearly as capable. They are very portable. They provide a bit of enjoyment. In no way are they necessary. If you have the spare cash I would recommend one though.

Of course it's a computer. It has a functional analogue of pretty well every damn thing inside your average desktop.
I only use mine for tethering and 2am games when I'm too lazy too sit in a chair or hold a laptop.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Quote by RPGoof
How are they not computers?
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Of course it's a computer. It has a functional analogue of pretty well every damn thing inside your average desktop.
It's like saying that your cell phone is a laptop.

While they may share some electrical components, it's a stretch to place them in the same category.
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by behind_you

While they may share some electrical components, it's a stretch to place them in the same category.

Totally not.
You might as well say that either the Bugatti Veyron isn;t a car, or the VW Polo isn't, because one is much faster than the other.
I used to think they were useless and a waste of money, but then my school gave an iPad to every student. A lot of classwork that we have now is done entirely on them. I'd still rather write a paper on a laptop rather than the iPad because I'm not a fan of all-touch screen and it's much more difficult to edit if you make a mistake. They are capable of doing most things that a computer can do. It's so convenient. I wouldn't be able to go back without it now.

I plan on buying one for college when I give the one I have back to my school.
daytripper75

Bullieve

Quote by Amuro Jay
I'm gonna need specific instructions again on how to properly dance with my pants on my head.
Quote by lolmnt
First you put your pants on your head.
Second you dance.
Third you wipe off all the pussy.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
Totally not.
You might as well say that either the Bugatti Veyron isn;t a car, or the VW Polo isn't, because one is much faster than the other.
Holy shit you're retarded. (or probably just a troll)

Reread my post and understand under which context I'm using the word 'computer'.
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Totally not.

As far as I'm concerned, the Bugatti had it's 0-60 time beat by a 2.4L car that only cost 50k. So the Bugatti belongs no where, also it's ugly as sin. >_>

Oh and as far as i see it, Behind_You wins this.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Quote by behind_you

Reread my post and understand under which context I'm using the word 'computer'.

The ****ing retarded context?
The one that only people who exist in your head use?
Quote by Deadlock Riff
As far as I'm concerned, the Bugatti had it's 0-60 time beat by a 2.4L car that only cost 50k. So the Bugatti belongs no where, also it's ugly as sin. >_>

Oh and as far as i see it, Behind_You wins this.

And you're obviously the authority on this.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
The ****ing retarded context?
The one that only people who exist in your head use?
Yeah, sure. Whatever you say.
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by behind_you

you're redefining the term in order to fit your particular purpose.

In every ordinary sense of the word, an iPad is a computer.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by slapsymcdougal
And you're obviously the authority on this.

Of course I am, where have you been?

Quote by LemonInfluence
you're redefining the term in order to fit your particular purpose. In every ordinary sense of the word, an iPad is a computer.

And with that same defintion a calculator is a computer, but nobody calls them computers do they?

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Last edited by Deadlock Riff at Mar 5, 2012,
Quote by behind_you

You still lack sufficient reasoning to explain how tablets aren't computers.
Quote by Deadlock Riff
Of course I am, where have you been?

And with that same defintion a calculator is a computer, but nobody calls them computers do they?

No, but they are.
Quote by Deadlock Riff
Funny, so have I.

And yet you haven't justified your assertion that a tablet computer is not a computer.
Quote by RPGoof

I believe he's trying ot say, despite the technical fact that it can be classified as one. Who is actually gonna go and call it a computer?

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Quote by Deadlock Riff
I believe he's trying ot say, despite the technical fact that it can be classified as one. Who is actually gonna go and call it a computer?

TS, for one.
Quote by Deadlock Riff

no, because there's a more appropriate term for them. Calculator.

Tablets are tablets, but they're also computers.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
They fill a niche in the market, but I can't say I see their purpose. They have all the functionality of a smartphone, except they're too big and not a phone. I think most tablets are only made to compete with the iPad. I would never buy one, I would rather spend the money on a laptop. Also, the touchscreen interface is awkward.
Last edited by sashki at Mar 5, 2012,
Quote by slapsymcdougal

And yet you haven't justified your assertion that a tablet computer is not a computer.

I didn't say it wasn't, I was saying that under normal circuimstances a person isn't going to call it a computer. Instead they're much more likely to call it something else.
By normal circumstance I mean the average non-computer-wise person.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Quote by behind_you
Yeah, sure. Whatever you say.

Dude you win. I being a tablet user know exactly what you mean.
I don't have a tablet computer myself but I will get one eventually when this laptop dies.
Quote by Deadlock Riff
I didn't say it wasn't, I was saying that under normal circuimstances a person isn't going to call it a computer. Instead they're much more likely to call it something else.
By normal circumstance I mean the average non-computer-wise person.

Yea, but just because someone might call a duck-billed platypus "an offense against God, nature, ducks and mammals" doesn't make it not a duck-billed platypus.
Quote by RPGoof

Quote by Lemoninfluence
you're redefining the term in order to fit your particular purpose.

In every ordinary sense of the word, an iPad is a computer.
I'm not redefining anything. When you say 'computer' you can either mean:

This:
An electronic device for storing and processing data, typically in binary form, according to instructions given to it in a variable program

Or the desktop/laptop system.

In contemporary usage of the word, it refers to the latter definition. That's what context I meant it in.
ggg1 ggg3

Last edited by behind_you at Mar 5, 2012,
Quote by sashki
They fill a niche in the market, but I can't say I see their purpose. They have all the functionality of a smartphone, except they're too big and not a phone. I think most tablets are only made to compete with the iPad. I would never buy one, I would rather spend the money on a laptop.

I can.

e-reader + web browser = brilliant reference tool.

there's a large overlap between smartphones and tablet pcs, mainly because of their structure, but smartphone screens are too small to be used for reading for any prolonged period of time.

Quote by element4433
Page 1 of 3