e - 3
b - 0
g - 0
D - 2
A - x
E - x

im writing a song but im stuck... i want to know what key my song is in... so far i have these chords : F, Am, C, Dm, and this chord

please help me

i tried different ''what chord is this'' sites but it couldnt find it...

my guitar teacher said it was in D minor (the key) but on another site it says not all the chords are in the D minor key... im so confused...
Last edited by holywins183 at Mar 5, 2012,
Quote by chronowarp
E G B G - Em

All of these chords fit into C major.

so its any of those chords?
Quote by holywins183
so its any of those chords?

No. It's an Em chord - the notes are E G B G. The rest of the chords you listed (F Am C Dm) all are in the key of C major - as is the Em.

If you want to find out what key your chords are in - at least most of them...write each chord out and add up all the notes.

F - F A C
Am- A C E
C- C E G
Dm- D F A

So put those notes in order...C D E F G A ...looking like C major to me, all we're missing is the B. But Em (E G B) has the B - so it looks like these chords are all in C major.

Now, if you don't understand how I know those are the notes in C major, or how I knew how to spell each chord...then you probably need to take a step back and look at how:
1. How to build a major scale
2. Memorize all your major scales (#'s/b's)
3. Learn how to harmonize the major scale
4. Understand, intervallicaly, how each chord type is built.
Last edited by chronowarp at Mar 5, 2012,
wait, what?

No, the chord you tabbed is Em... it and all the other chords you mentioned (F, Am, C, Dm) fit in C major

EDIT: lol, you beat me to it
Quote by Xiaoxi
The Byzantine scale was useful until the Ottoman scale came around and totally annihilated it.
No, he's saying that chord you're asking about is Em, and all the chords you're using fit into the key of C major.
Lol yeah, "mystery" chord is Em, making it's inclusion in with the other chords in the key of C major.

Good job Gang!
Quote by mrkeka
wait, what?

No, the chord you tabbed is Em... it and all the other chords you mentioned (F, Am, C, Dm) fit in C major

EDIT: lol, you beat me to it

How do you think I feel? You both beat me
Quote by chronowarp
No. It's an Em chord - the notes are E G B G. The rest of the chords you listed (F Am C Dm) all are in the key of C major - as is the Em.

If you want to find out what key your chords are in - at least most of them...write each chord out and add up all the notes.

F - F A C
Am- A C E
C- C E G
Dm- D F A

So put those notes in order...C D E F G A ...looking like C major to me, all we're missing is the B. But Em (E G B) has the B - so it looks like these chords are all in C major.

Now, if you don't understand how I know those are the notes in C major, or how I knew how to spell each chord...then you probably need to take a step back and look at how:

wow thanks alot but... i dont understand this :

F - F A C
Am- A C E
C- C E G
Dm- D F A

why is the F - ''F A C '' and not just F?
^ Those are the notes in the chord.

The chord is F, which is made up of F (root note), A (3rd), and C (the 5th).
Quote by whoomit
^ Those are the notes in the chord.

The chord is F, which is made up of F (root note), A (3rd), and C (the 5th).

i have another question, how do i know what notes there are in each key. i couldnt find anything on google...
Quote by holywins183
i have another question, how do i know what notes there are in each key. i couldnt find anything on google...

Once you've learned some basic theory you can easily work them out. In the mean time you could just use Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_major
Quote by chronowarp

F - F A C
Am- A C E
C- C E G
Dm- D F A

you said : CDEFGAB = c major... but its has all notes....!!! CDEFGAB = ABCDEFG
ill never understand this...
I'm gonna give the suggestion must uttered and ignored here on this forum: study the basics of theory: the notes, intervals, major scale, construction of chords, so on and so forth

go to www.musictheory.net, it has some pretty great lessons

Quote by holywins183

What will you never understand? You asked what key it was in, we said C major, because it has all the notes of that key...

Unless you are not aware of the fact that there are actually 12 notes, not just 7
Quote by Xiaoxi
The Byzantine scale was useful until the Ottoman scale came around and totally annihilated it.
Last edited by mrkeka at Mar 5, 2012,
Quote by holywins183

ABCDEFG is NOT all the notes. That's only 7 out of 12.

All the notes are:

A
A#/Bb
B
C
C#/Db
D
D#/Eb
E
F
F#/Gb
G
G#/Ab.

All notes have a sharp, apart from B and E.
Quote by holywins183

C#, D#, F#, G# and A# are notes too!
(Or if you prefer, Db, Eb, Gb, Ab and Bb.)

Anyway, just to make it clear, despite what we all said here, your teacher wasn't wrong. Those four initial chords you mentioned are all in the key of D minor, as well as C major. It's the Em that belongs in C major but not D minor.
Last edited by sickman411 at Mar 5, 2012,