Thinking about upgrading the pickups in my les paul studio. it sounds good, but im looking for more. any recommendations for a pickup to go with? important to note, i also play clean passages from time to time in our music, so thats a point to consider as well... no emg's please.
Your amp is?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I'm with JesusCrisp here. That'll make the biggest different. With the right amp and a fuzz, you can get any stoner tone. Tone believe me? Check out my profile and hear my stoner sound with a Stratocaster.

Otherwise, I personally like the Alcinos for stoner. You don't want a lot of high output clarity, because then you don't get those really choked, splatty tones. Everyone's different, though. I've got Alcinos in my Les Paul, hit the fuzz, push it through my Fender, and it sounds great.
You need EMGs! Oh wait...
Guitars:

Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster

Epiphone Les Paul 100

Amplifier:

Marshall AVT 100

Effects:

Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

EHX Big Muff Pi
Quote by francesco18
Great tone JustRoster. What amp were you using for those demos ?

All but the Noise Rock song were a Stratocaster into a Hot Rod Deluxe. Noise Rock was with my Les Paul and my friend's 6505.
Almost anything will do as far as pickups go. The most important thing is an amp with a good amount of low end.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
Quote by JesusCrisp
Your amp is?
a bogner uberschall, which i know is a little too compressed to be the most desirable sludge amp, but it still sounds pretty damn good.
Well, what exactly do you want from the new pickups?
More open, clearer, warmer, brighter, more low end, more tightness, more mids, more output, harmonics, dynamics etc etc.

Also, what qualities of the current pickups do you dislike?
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
To be honest a high end amp like that won't be a problem. And when you mean 'looking for more' what do you mean by that?

That low end flap 'broken speaker' sound you get from stoner bands? If you want that, invest into a good fuzz.
Quote by Glenn Guitar
What fuzz pedal do you use, if you have one?

Way Huge Swollen Pickle.

Also, TS, if you have a great amp like that already, get yourself a high gain fuzz, crank the bass on your amp, and let 'er rip. That'll get you most of the way there.

As for the pickups, refer to JesusCrisp's post above mine. Specific qualities will help. Just remember, though, that most Stoner tone comes from how you play, not what you play.
Last edited by JustRooster at Mar 5, 2012,