I am currently having a bit of trouble trying to play Master of Puppets intro and the second riff all downpicking. The songs plays at 212bpm on Guitar Pro 6 but I can only really get up to about 190bpm, anything after that ends up hurting my wrist and I mess up quite a bit. I have tried alternate picking but that sounds quite bad and it also ends up being far too out of rhythm. I have been playing guitar about 6 months and I can play Enter Sandman along with the solo.

Whenever I try to play the intro really fast my picking hand ends up either tensing and basically spazzing out on the strings or playing it out of rhythm again. Could anyone shed some light as to why I can't downpick it? I've been learning this song since two months into me playing guitar and I can play almost every other part of the song fine.
Last edited by x Jakk x at Mar 5, 2012,
You're going too fast too soon. You need to slow down. Play it to a metronome at a speed you're comfortable with and gradually increase the speed.
Quote by Geldin
Junior's usually at least a little terse, but he knows his stuff. I've always read his posts in a grouchy grandfather voice, a grouchy grandfather with a huge stiffy for alternate picking.
Besides that, he's right this time. As usual.
Man hmm, it is difficult to say because everything is individual for the person but me and my band play the things not completely by the book, if it is too difficult or fast we just slow down the pace a notch, or just start slowly by only down picking a single note or string and then use a metronome to increase the speed and do it like 20 min before playing and then everything should be ok... try it if it helps send a feedback
I've tried slowing it down, recently I started slowing it down to about 160bpm which I could play quite easily and cleanly then taking it up 5bpm when I thought I could. I managed to reach 190 before I felt that was as fast as I could go, when I tried 195 I kept making mistakes and anything above 200 was near enough impossible. Is this a song that is too hard to be learning to downpick this early in playing guitar? I've been told 6 months isn't that much at all.
I'd say yes, you're getting way ahead of yourself there.

Posting a video of your playing would help people make an objective judgement, but in my experience Master of Puppets at full tempo isn't even on the radar for someone who's only been playing such a short amount of time.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

Posting a video of your playing would help people make an objective judgement, but in my experience Master of Puppets at full tempo isn't even on the radar for someone who's only been playing such a short amount of time.

I assume you mean a video of me playing at 190bpm and not trying to go for full speed? Btw, thanks for the help everyone.
Yeah, a video of what you think you can play comfortably is far more use than one of you messing up
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
For reference, I learned Master after I had probably been playing for at least 5 years, so keep in mind you might not quite have the background built to play songs like this yet.

I would suggest playing the verse sections of the song (where its just mostly E and a few muted power chords) until you can play those at full tempo. Then just start slow (around 150 bpm) and practice the main riff a little bit each day. Eventually it will become muscle memory and you will be able to do it without tensing up at full speed.

I learned to play this song in it's entirety and honestly, it is one of the best exersizes you could do as far as downpicking goes. Once you play it with the CD at full speed for the first time, you can't help but smile. I have been able to downpick the main riff at up to 230-240 bpm (I just tried it for the heck of it), so don't give up! It's entirely possible to build up your speed but the key is to start slow and play it accurately and with proper technique rather than rush to try and hit a certain tempo.

My next downpicking endeavor is to try and play "Two Weeks" by All That Remains. I'm not sure if it's downpicked or not, but at 224 bpm, its incredibly fast and I still don't quite have it.
It may take some years to get fast enough to play that, so relax!

The best way to develop your speed is NOT to play at tempos that cause your hand to tense up. That is way too fast. You want to start very slow and play it absolutely correctly, and then increase the speed gradually until you find the point where it starts to get a bit sloppy, or you become tense. This is your max speed, and you should practice a little below it. Practice at a tempo where everything is being played correctly! If you practice at too high a speed, you'll not have control over all the tiny details (you don't just play the notes, you also stop playing them at the right time, and have the correct amount of palm muting to get good tone, and so on). After some time your max speed will increase a little bit. There is no shortcut, no quick fix. It just takes hundreds of hours of patience and practice. I also play drums, and it's exactly the same deal there.
This is NOT the first (and it prolly wont be the last time I have to post on this issue either) WHY does every newbie Hetfield-wannabe insist on only playing this w/ down picking?!?! If it sounds crappy w/ alternate picking...fine...that just means that your muting technique when u are alternate picking is crap...(I hate to say it...but don't be a pathetic weakling...that's something that Pebber B. says all the time!) Why sink all that time into developing that which by its very nature, is an inferior technique (I am refering to downpicking which is the cave-man version of alternate picking)???? ugh
Because, he plays it downpicked, and it sounds and is way more Metullz to do it as so.
Quote by luxeion
i keep asking my dad for wood. but he keeps getting annoyed (he's working on a house). and i'm too young to go outside.

Your Argument is very compelling Stryk (in fact the most compelling argument that I have ever heard)...Good luck ever becoming a virtuosso guitarist w/ that mentality...
seriously, just practice it slow in all honesty its not going to take weeks of slow practice but probably months.

Me and my friend play it about 30% normal tempo with alternate picking and it sounds f**kin awesome.

It will happen just give it time
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
Quote by steven seagull

^ this x 100
Quote by x Jakk x
I have tried alternate picking but that sounds quite bad and it also ends up being far too out of rhythm.

This is very bad. If you can't stay in time with alternate picking on a slow song (and MoP is slow if you're alternate picking it) then you need to do a lot of work on that.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I play the MoP main riff with two downstrokes with an upstroke following on the A string. Its not exactly the way Metallica plays it, but I don't really care because it sounds essentially the same. Plus, I like the snappiness of the A string on the upstroke.
Axes:
2010 Carvin ST300C
1994 Jackson Soloist XL Professional
2008 "Jacksbanez"
2007 Gibson Flying V
2003 Epiphone Les Paul Plus

Amps:
Peavey 6505+ Combo
Peavey Classic 30
Peavey Vypyr 15
This sounds like me when I first got a guitar. I couldn't wait to play some metallica or pantera. Let me tell you what happened, I sat and practiced and practiced for hours on end, only being concerned with playing that ubber cool song I wanted to know. Then I would move to the next uber cool song. You know what happened? I developed horrible technique, bad habbits, and very poor basic skills. I was at a stand still and not improving to save my life. After analyzing what I was doing it was obvious, I had to go back to scratch with everything, even the way I was holding the pick was wrong. I was so concerned with what I could play, I ignored the things that really matter, technique. Once you have a bad habbit built into your musle memory, it is very hard to retrain it. Trust me, I wasted alot of good hours trying to play fast when I simply wasn't ready yet.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Maybe there are gnomes in your air conditioning vents using out-of-phase parabolic speakers to deaden vibrations from a distance.