Hello GG&A forum, I bring to you a question that I'm confident you can easily answer. I've searched around a bit but my question is a bit more specific than what I could find had already been asked so, here goes.

I'm looking for a power supply for my EHX Big Muff Pi, Small Clone and Small Stone. In EHX's infinite wisdom they have made these pedals with a different form of input for the 9V adapters than the standard Boss or Digitech pedals (is there actually a reason besides making me spend money on THEIR adapter?) My question goes beyond that though, I was hoping one of you could point in the direction of a similar power supply to the One Spot thing they sell at Guitar Center. Basically an adapter you can buy, with an add on allowing you to string together 5 or 6 pedals all on one cord.

Is there anything similar available to power my EHX pedals without getting 3 separate adapters, one for each pedal?

I really love these pedals but having to constantly unplug when I'm done playing, plug back in later, buy batteries (which aren't exactly cheap) etc. is really affecting my desire to even plug in lately.

Help me GG&A, you're my only hope.
I got one of those gator pedal boards with the power supply and it came with a ton of extra cables for different pedals. I would look into one of those. This is the one I have on my board, it might come with the correct size you need. Pricey by itself but a better deal when included with the board.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/gator-g-bus-8-us-pedal-board-power-supply
Last edited by M0T0RBREATH at Mar 5, 2012,
Quote by M0T0RBREATH
I got one of those gator pedal boards with the power supply and it came with a ton of extra cables for different pedals. I would look into one of those. This is the one I have on my board, it might come with the correct size you need. Pricey by itself but a better deal when included with the board.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/gator-g-bus-8-us-pedal-board-power-supply

Awesome, thanks for the recommendation and the link. It is a bit more than I wanted to spend, but I'm starting to think maybe a power supply like this Gator or the Voodoo Lab pedal power would benefit me more than 3 or 4 separate power supplies as they get rather untidy and messy.

Thanks again, it does look from the pics they have up that it does include the right cord, maybe I can find someplace local to try it. Definitely a consideration at this point though.
The one spot has adapters to fit the various EHX power adapter sizes. You could still purchase the one spot pack. They come with quite a few adapters in the packet off of the shelf.
Quote by Ninja_Tortois3
Hello GG&A forum, I bring to you a question that I'm confident you can easily answer. I've searched around a bit but my question is a bit more specific than what I could find had already been asked so, here goes.

I'm looking for a power supply for my EHX Big Muff Pi, Small Clone and Small Stone. In EHX's infinite wisdom they have made these pedals with a different form of input for the 9V adapters than the standard Boss or Digitech pedals (is there actually a reason besides making me spend money on THEIR adapter?) My question goes beyond that though, I was hoping one of you could point in the direction of a similar power supply to the One Spot thing they sell at Guitar Center. Basically an adapter you can buy, with an add on allowing you to string together 5 or 6 pedals all on one cord.

Is there anything similar available to power my EHX pedals without getting 3 separate adapters, one for each pedal?

I really love these pedals but having to constantly unplug when I'm done playing, plug back in later, buy batteries (which aren't exactly cheap) etc. is really affecting my desire to even plug in lately.

Help me GG&A, you're my only hope.

These are the big box versions, not the XO? If so, you'll need something to convert from the standard 2.1mm barrel jack to the 3.5mm phone jack they use, or switch out the actual jacks on the pedals. Any standard 9V power supply will work with those (One Spot, PP2+, Fuel Tank, etc.). When I bought my One Spot a year or two ago, they only came with two of the adapters for EHX pedals, so you'd have to pick up a third if you went that route.
Last edited by ACollier at Mar 5, 2012,
The "stupid adapter" is how many vintage effects pedals came stock. It's an 1/8" plug. You could easily change it out for a new style 2.1mm adapter if you're handy with a soldering iron.

Don't buy the Gator power supply, or a Dunlop DC Brick. They're both just more expensive OneSpot's.

If you've only got the 3 pedals, you could get by with a OneSpot adapter. You could also go with a smaller isolated supply like a Voodoo Labs Iso5, or FuelTank Jr. They should all come with the vintage 1/8" adapters, though I doubt they come with 3, so you'll need more.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/visual-sound-1-spot-combo-pack/150373000000000
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/voodoo-lab-pedal-power-iso-5-power-supply/621168000000000
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/t-rex-engineering-9v-fuel-tank-junior-guitar-effects-pedal-power-supply/150573000000000

Extra adapters
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/visual-sound-1-8-1-spot-converter/151690000000000
Wow awesome, thanks for being so helpful guys. I should have specified that I do indeed already own a 1-Spot, but only with the standard barrel jack extensions.

Thank you for the links Chip46, I know it's easy to Google something but not if you don't know what it's called haha. That last link should be perfect for what I need, also thanks for the heads up on the Gator and Voodoo bricks.

I am admittedly gear-challenged, and you guys always come through. Thanks again everyone!
Quote by chip46
The "stupid adapter" is how many vintage effects pedals came stock. It's an 1/8" plug. You could easily change it out for a new style 2.1mm adapter if you're handy with a soldering iron.

You have to drill out the hole substantially. If you are handy with a soldering iron it's far easier just to change the plug coming from the adapter than modding the pedal itself.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
By substantially I mean it's a far bigger hole. Sometimes drilling it out that much can be harder than it sounds - depends on how tight a fit everything is. Far easier to change a plug.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Ninja_Tortois3
Wow awesome, thanks for being so helpful guys. I should have specified that I do indeed already own a 1-Spot, but only with the standard barrel jack extensions.

Thank you for the links Chip46, I know it's easy to Google something but not if you don't know what it's called haha. That last link should be perfect for what I need, also thanks for the heads up on the Gator and Voodoo bricks.

I am admittedly gear-challenged, and you guys always come through. Thanks again everyone!

Voodoo power supplies are some of the best. It's that Dunlop one you have to watch out for.

Also, if you plan on running many more pedals than you have now in the future, I'd recommend upgrading from the One Spot to a power supply with isolated outputs, like the Voodoo Labs ones. Some pedals aren't fans of daisy chaining, or are current hogs.

Right now I run my board off a One Spot, but depending on what's on the board at the time, if the modulation's on on my 616, I get a clicking when bypassed. The 616 doesn't click if it's the only thing hooked up to the One Spot.

Quote by chip46
I will respectfully disagree

Plus, in those old big box EHX units, there's plenty of room.

On those sure, but on a lot of pedals there isn't that much real estate to work with. I always make my own supplies so I just stick on whatever plug is needed for the job at hand.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by chip46

Don't buy the Gator power supply, or a Dunlop DC Brick. They're both just more expensive OneSpot's.

I have a OneSpot too but my Gator power supply also has an 18v output for my MXR 10-band eq.
Quote by M0T0RBREATH
I have a OneSpot too but my Gator power supply also has an 18v output for my MXR 10-band eq.

There are adapters that will allow you to combine two outputs on the One Spot to provide 18V.
Quote by ACollier
There are adapters that will allow you to combine two outputs on the One Spot to provide 18V.

This I did not know. Thank you for the info. I still prefer the design of the brick over a chain of cables, but that is merely my personal preference. One negative thing I have to say about the gator is that the power input to the brick seems like it will be the first to fail, it doesn't seem designed to be taken in and out repetitively. I've been gigging with mine for about a year and a half and I have a feeling it's not gong to last much longer. But if this is for a home studio I wouldn't worry about that.
Quote by chip46
I don't know many vintage pedals with the 1/8" jacks that were tight for space though. Vintage pedals tended to have tons of extra room, since the pedals weren't as complex for the most part, and yet they still made them in huge enclosures

The original Ibanez pedals had 1/8" power jacks. The 808 series ones. I had one of the first issue TS-808's (which some bastard stole) and it had an 1/8" socket.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
If you go to guitar center and tell the guy behind the counter what you need.. One spot sells the adapters seperately for a few bucks...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!