It's been a while since I started playing the guitar and I've taken some lessons which focused more on theory but now I want to start picking up songs by ear and even with some simple stuff I found it quite tough. I'm quite ignorant when it comes to music and I don't know many artists (and what I listen to is very difficult to begin with) so I'd like some help. Is there any "simple" type of music to start picking by ear?
I learnt Come As You Are-Nirvana by ear and I'd only been playing for like, 4-5 months. (:
the way i started was by figuring out simple melodies by ear like christmas carols (frosty the snowman,rudolph the red nosed raindder etc.) and some of my favorite music that had a very easy melodies like the loz tunes
My advice would to choose a song first that pretty much revolves around power chords. From there you develop your ear even more and progress to even harder songs.
BEST GEAR IN THE WORLD

PRS Santana SE II with Dimarzio DP100 bridge P/up
BOSS ME-50
Fender Frontman 65r
Line 6 Pocket POD
Dunlop Jazz III picks
Quote by toine
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_xH_44-ZQs&feature=related start with this. Try to figure out the main melody
Don't look, just listen

Worst advice, ever.

Sure, your ear will improve if you learn this, but the amount of time it will take to learn this for someone who is new, especially if they don't particularly like classic guitar, means they will quit and look up tabs before they get 10 seconds in.

Start with power chords, open chords, and very simple and short riffs from your favorite songs (if you like ACDC, i would start there)
Quote by hansome21
Worst advice, ever.

Sure, your ear will improve if you learn this, but the amount of time it will take to learn this for someone who is new, especially if they don't particularly like classic guitar, means they will quit and look up tabs before they get 10 seconds in.

Start with power chords, open chords, and very simple and short riffs from your favorite songs (if you like ACDC, i would start there)

i'm talking about the main melody, not the arpeggio's or bass notes.
Best advice ever
I don't usually listen to ACDC but I like them. Many people say The Beatles are good to start as well, right?
Quote by BVBKilljoy
I learnt Come As You Are-Nirvana by ear and I'd only been playing for like, 4-5 months. (:

No one likes a show off. I wouldn't brag over the internet if I was you... That is a very unwise decision.

Quote by toine
i'm talking about the main melody, not the arpeggio's or bass notes.
Best advice ever

No it is bad advice for someone new to ear training. There is to much happening for them to just focus on one thing. I myself have not listened to it, nor plan too, but I can tell by the word arpeggios and classical guitar. Stick simple and build up.

Quote by Aytzz
I don't usually listen to ACDC but I like them. Many people say The Beatles are good to start as well, right?

"AC/DC" and "The Beatles" are good starts for someone beginning. I would advise to not jump in to deep at first. Get your feet wet and work more into it.
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Last edited by Xter at Mar 9, 2012,
Quote by Xter
No one likes a show off. I wouldn't brag over the internet if I was you... That is a very unwise decision.

No it is bad advice for someone new to ear training. There is to much happening for them to just focus on one thing. I myself have not listened to it, nor plan too, but I can tell by the word arpeggios and classical guitar. Stick simple and build up.

"AC/DC" and "The Beatles" are good starts for someone beginning. I would advise to not jump in to deep at first. Get your feet wet and work more into it.

How can so much bullshit be posted without someone mentioning one of the buldiing pilars of ear training.

Learn your melodic intervals, when you have them down move on to harmonic intervals.
Quote by Slashiepie
How can so much bullshit be posted without someone mentioning one of the buldiing pilars of ear training.

Learn your melodic intervals, when you have them down move on to harmonic intervals.

I completely agree. Single notes first, then chords.
Quote by Slashiepie

agreed, but he states he doesn't have too much of a grasp on theory, so he probably doesn't even know what an interval is. an ear trainer works great, but i get bored of them myself and they are always piano or synthesizer. I prefer doing it with a guitar with real songs, but admittedly that is a much slower way.
Listen to Slashiepie sing your intervals until you can't get them wrong.
Here is a good thing to use for intervals: http://www.childrensmusicworkshop.com/musictheory/trainers/html/id90_en.html

Then go on to chords:
http://www.musictheory.net/exercises/ear-chord
What i did with chords is i set it to only play the major minor, and diminished chords, and every day i would play them and listen 500 times. When i could get it right correctly all 500 times three days in a row (which didn't take as long as you might think, about 3 weeks) i added one more, and repeated the process. Now i can pretty much get them all right every time, and started from your first major, minor, and diminished you can really hear the chords better in songs, which allows me to work songs out by ear easier.
Quote by hansome21
agreed, but he states he doesn't have too much of a grasp on theory, so he probably doesn't even know what an interval is. an ear trainer works great, but i get bored of them myself and they are always piano or synthesizer. I prefer doing it with a guitar with real songs, but admittedly that is a much slower way.

Actually when I said "ignorant" I meant that I listened to some very limited stuff, I do know theory >.>.
It just takes time man! Work on simple songs first then work your way up. It takes along time to develop a good ear.
I'm Bored.

tumblr
<- follow me
Quote by toine

Don't face palm at an educated guess. Perhaps you don't know why I'm not going to listen to it? I don't have access to youtube on this computer is said answer.

You are giving a classical guitar piece to someone who is just starting. Probably doesn't have an interest in it. And cannot do things by ear yet you are telling him to pick out a melody and figure it out by ear when it has more then he can probably handle.

You yourself sir deserve this for ignorance of the highest respect.

Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
Quote by Xter
Don't face palm at an educated guess. Perhaps you don't know why I'm not going to listen to it? I don't have access to youtube on this computer is said answer.

You are giving a classical guitar piece to someone who is just starting. Probably doesn't have an interest in it. And cannot do things by ear yet you are telling him to pick out a melody and figure it out by ear when it has more then he can probably handle.

You yourself sir deserve this for ignorance of the highest respect.

no the classical piece is one of the most know pieces ever
romanza aka jeux interdit
if you cant figure out the main melody that's on 1 string you can't figure out anything
now **** off
Old blues is where I started. BB King mainly. Quite a lot of his stuff is slow and follows a 12 bar blues progression. First, you learn a 12 bar blues and how it's made. Then, all you need to do is find the I chord and then you know (in most cases) the rest of the song. Then you know what key it's in so you go to the corresponding minor pentatonic scale and work out the solo.
You know what helped? By figuring out the vocal melody of a song, you learn to gradually listen by ears. In my case, I was playing the vocal melody of simple pop songs with my guitar and move onto faster metal. Also, once you know the vocal melody, you know what the chord progression is in the song.