I'm looking for a new pair of headphones, since my old Sennheiser HD202s died.

Price range is up to about 75 dollars US. I'd prefer circumaural over supra-aural since I find them more comfortable.

Since I'm planning on using them to mix, I'd like them to be as flat as possible in my price range.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
The Audio Technica ATH-M50s are the best for mixing under ~$400, by far.

They're over your budget a bit, but you'll just be wasting your money on anything cheaper.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
The Audio Technica ATH-M50s are the best for mixing under ~$400, by far.

They're over your budget a bit, but you'll just be wasting your money on anything cheaper.

yeah, they're like twice my budget

I was thinking about some HD 280s, any opinion on those?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by oneblackened
yeah, they're like twice my budget

I was thinking about some HD 280s, any opinion on those?

You can get them on eBay for about $115 new, with free shipping, from the guys that have "Or Best Offer" on the auction.

The HD 280s are okay for tracking, but they are super inaccurate if you're mixing on them. Until you really learn them, your mixes are likely to translate to other mediums very poorly (even then, they probably won't be that great).

There isn't a single set of headphones under the price of the M50s I mentioned earlier that I'd recommend for anything other than tracking. I guess if you really can't push your budget a little more, the AKG K240s are decent for what you want (I'm sure you could find them for $75 new on eBay), but honestly, mixing fully on headphones, even with the ATs, is a bad idea. I'd be more inclined to tell you to mix on desktop computer speakers than on headphones, if you can't afford the M50s.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Akg K240
NOW PART OF THE

Quote by Robchappers
You are epic my friend ;-)
Quote by RU Experienced?
At this point I'd be more surprised if you found me a Christian children's entertainer that didn't sodomize and eat kids.
I'll look into the K240s, since they're the same price as the 280s.

EDIT: well, that just got vetoed. More like 50 is my max... so much for good headphones
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Last edited by oneblackened at Mar 5, 2012,
Shure SRH240A's, anyone know anything? I've only seen good things.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by kyle62
You're never going to mix accurately on headphones, but I assume you're aware of that?

Ditto

I tried it for years. Any reverb and most effects will be overkill as you can give them room to breath in the cans.
Quote by kyle62
You're never going to mix accurately on headphones, but I assume you're aware of that?

Yeah, but I bet it'll sound better than on my 40 dollar computer speakers.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Quote by oneblackened
Yeah, but I bet it'll sound better than on my 40 dollar computer speakers.

Probably not
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Probably not

The problem with them is they misrepresent levels more than anything else.

Also Derek - would you say the ATH M40s are similar to the M50s? Because they're actually in my price range.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
Last edited by oneblackened at Mar 7, 2012,
Just a word of advice as I'm too tired to debate whether headphones are a valid tool for mixing (there are pro's and con's to using them, though generally I'd never mix on them unless I had to) - headphones for mixing would be very different to headphones for tracking.

If you were to mix on headphones, I'd suggest a pair of open-back as they generally have a more 'true-to-the-mix' sound about them and don't quite close your ears off so much. You'd also want to pay decent money for a pair with a good frequency response that doesn't hype the low end too much.

To track with, I'd be more concerned about isolation/noise-rejection and the ability to take a beating from clumsy drummers for several years without crapping out mid-session (one of the reasons the Beyer DT-100's and re-issues etc. are pretty much the pair you'll see in every major studio around the world). You don't have to worry too much about frequency response/accuracy with headphones just for tracking as they aren't representing the final mix and the performer will, no doubt, get some bleed from their instrument anyway.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
For mixing, you should REALLY try out a pair of Grado SR-80s. ($100) Been using them for 4 years now.

Replaced Senn HD-650s and AKG K-701 which I use now only for detail inspection.
Tip: If treble appears harsh, use SR-60s foam inserts.

For tracking: still die-hard on $40 Koss Portaphone Pros for almost 20 years.

All along this path I tread
My heart betrays my weary head
With nothing but my soul to save
From the cradle to the grave.
Last edited by ColdGin at Mar 8, 2012,
Open backed? How are AKG K240s?
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
I'm not much of a headphone person (particularly for mixing) so I don't wanna say too much and give an unfair recommendation, but those AKG's are indeed open-backed. I've not tried them though.

The Grado SR-80i mentioned by ColdGin are open-backed and have great reviews, so may be worth a look at. I'll let other people recommend the actual headphones though
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
I've decided to get AKG K240 Studios. Thanks for the help, guys.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
Audient iD22 interface
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
I have those. They're great 'phones.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.