I like it.
36 20%
I don't like it.
92 52%
I don't know if I like it.
43 24%
I'd use it as a complement in language.
41 23%
I'd use it as a replacement for him/her in language.
25 14%
I would not use it in language.
92 52%
I don't know how I'd use it.
46 26%
Voters: 177.
Page 1 of 4
So in Sweden there's a raging debate about a newish word "Hen" which is a gender-neutral word used for describing either male or female, or someone not wanting to be described with those terms. Instead of using a word like him or her, you can say "hen" to a person.

I'm wondering what your thoughts on this are. Would you use a gender-neutral like that? Assuming there was one in your native language. Would you use it as a complement to already existing descriptions (him/her), or use it to replace them entirely? Or maybe you think this is political correctness gone crazy.

I think it's a good complement to everyday language, but I would never even consider replacing him/her entirely with the word. Gender debate here normally implies there making everything completely sexless in the name of equality and not hurting anyone's feelings, which I can't say I agree with. Equality is important and all that jazz but replacing gender pronomens seems ridiculous. It makes the language less nuanced.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
In country of my home, "hen" refers to both a bird and a female chicken.

Don't we have "zhe" or something for this? Since leaving Tumblr I've lost track of the LGBT and Feminist communities constantly changing and more-often-than-not pedantic pronoun preferences.
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
Last edited by TheBurningFish at Mar 5, 2012,
Well I'm glad we've solved world hunger so we can move on to more important things like not hurting someone's feelings if they have a vagina but don't think of themselves as a girl.
PM me for newts
oh god, what the hell. i hope this catches on. i think if anything it'd just turn into an insult similar to 'fag'
Quote by StewieSwan
Well I'm glad we've solved world hunger so we can move on to more important things like not hurting someone's feelings if they have a vagina but don't think of themselves as a girl.
Pardon?
"Honey, the sink's clogged again!"
"Sorry dear! I'll fix it when they've solved world hunger!"

Quote by TV-Casualty
oh god, what the hell. i hope this catches on. i think if anything it'd just turn into an insult similar to 'fag'

They don't have insults in Sweden, silly.

Quote by TheBurningFish
Pardon?

>implying your clogged sink is national debate

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
I wouldn't use it. It already hints towards a female figure and it's not that big of a deal, honestly.
Save a trip to the RT!
Quote by blake1221
If there's anything to take away from this thread, anything at all, it's to always cup the balls.

Top trolling abilities.

Quote by caeser1156
God dammit you had me 10/10
hen /hen/ Noun: 1. A female bird, esp. of a domestic fowl.

It doesn't fly imo.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Quote by TheBurningFish
Pardon?

World hunger sure would get solved faster if people really thought like that, though
PM me for newts
Quote by Nelsean

It doesn't fly imo.

Quote by moscaespañol
>implying your clogged sink is national debate

>implying world hunger isn't international debate
>implying the forum of national debate can and should only deal with one issue at a time
>implying my post wasn't healthy, friendly chat
>implying this is a ****ing sensible way to communicate
Quote by StewieSwan
World hunger sure would get solved faster if people really thought like that, though
We can only dream...

Last edited by TheBurningFish at Mar 5, 2012,
Quote by TheBurningFish
In country of my home, "hen" refers to both a bird and a female chicken.

Don't we have "zhe" or something for this? Since leaving Tumblr I've lost track of the LGBT and Feminist communities constantly changing and more-often-than-not pedantic pronoun preferences.

I think there is something like zhe but I can't for the life of me remember the word... probably has changed a few times as well since no one can agree with one another about who is the most politically correct.

Quote by StewieSwan

I think there are bigger issues fo' shure, but issues like this still affect people. ish.

Quote by Nelsean

It doesn't fly imo.

I'm pretty sure it was some northern European country, but wasn't Sweden also the country with that family that started a gender-neutral daycare who wouldn't tell people whether their kids were a boy or girl?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
Quote by necrosis1193
I'm pretty sure it was some northern European country, but wasn't Sweden also the country with that family that started a gender-neutral daycare who wouldn't tell people whether their kids were a boy or girl?

Yeah, that's pretty much where the hen debate caught speed. The pre-school only used "hen" for kids, parents, toys and such.
You use the language your main enviroment uses, I've always hold on to that and I always will. Language isn't a choice, it's a pattern created by the once you are surrounded with. Having said that, I think the word if gained popularity might obstruct dealing with sexism. People won't think as much about it anymore as they may now.

It's like with food in the english language,

Cows = Beef
Pig = Pork
Wildlife = Game

Giving it a different name subconsciously and consciously helps a lot to distancing yourself from the meaning and history of it.
Father of ilikepirates And icesk8erqueen8
every man on here who tries to touch them will get his dick chopped off.

E-married to Shyne <3

Officialy has OddOneOut as e-sexslave
Lol nah, that's dumb.

Appreciate the differences between man and woman, Sweden. I don't see how gender pronouns can be offensive.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Kensai
Yeah, that's pretty much where the hen debate caught speed. The pre-school only used "hen" for kids, parents, toys and such.

In that case, I have the same stance that I had with that - I don't think it does anything useful, and I think it's silly.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 75-87
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 3-3
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 52-39
There are workarounds already. They could just avoid a situation where "him", "he", "she" or "her" is needed.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
What could be the problem of referring to someone as him/her?
If you wanted to refer to someone using without gender specific pronouns, then describe the person by their clothes or some noticeable feature.
You could even refer to someone by their name.
Quote by Kensai
I think there are bigger issues fo' shure, but issues like this still affect people. ish.

I doubt it. If anyone is seriously emotionally damaged by being called the wrong pronoun then they're being hypersensitive and idgaf. Your hurt feelings are your problem, not mine.
PM me for newts
In Finland they say 'hän' for male and female and have done for ever. Lol at Sweden looking to a superior language for its linguistic borrowings
"Them" is neutral enough for me. I use it in the singular and don't give a hoot.

edit: I laugh at your people for calling each other female chickens.
Last edited by MakinLattes at Mar 5, 2012,
Quote by Antis0cial
You use the language your main enviroment uses, I've always hold on to that and I always will. Language isn't a choice, it's a pattern created by the once you are surrounded with. Having said that, I think the word if gained popularity might obstruct dealing with sexism. People won't think as much about it anymore as they may now.

It's like with food in the english language,

Cows = Beef
Pig = Pork
Wildlife = Game

Giving it a different name subconsciously and consciously helps a lot to distancing yourself from the meaning and history of it.

One of the arguments against the word is that if there was a need for the word it'd exist already in the language. I'm not sure whether I agree with that or not, since the pronounciation of the LBGT community is rather new (despiting homos being around since the dawn of time).

Quote by StewieSwan
I doubt it. If anyone is seriously emotionally damaged by being called the wrong pronoun then they're being hypersensitive and idgaf. Your hurt feelings are your problem, not mine.

Yes, I believe offense is taken, not given.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
In Finland they say 'hän' for male and female and have done for ever. Lol at Sweden looking to a superior language for its linguistic borrowings

Except people here - very much like what we think of Finland - think it's stupid
Quote by Nelsean

It doesn't fly imo.
>_>
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by Kensai
One of the arguments against the word is that if there was a need for the word it'd exist already in the language. I'm not sure whether I agree with that or not, since the pronounciation of the LBGT community is rather new (despiting homos being around since the dawn of time).:

That's a stupid argument because you can't have a need for something if it already exists, and the existence comes from the need. There always has to be a moment of introduction.

Let's take for example the word "engine" or "vehicle", in the 1500s they wouldn't have a ****ing clue what you are talking about. Yet somewhere along the lines the word got introduced and accepted. Because it got invented and people needed to summarise it.
Father of ilikepirates And icesk8erqueen8
every man on here who tries to touch them will get his dick chopped off.

E-married to Shyne <3

Officialy has OddOneOut as e-sexslave
If someone's feelings get hurt by being called "him" or "her" then they should go kill themselves.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Round here some people say "my duck" as in "'ight my duck? 'Ows the day beeen"

As you can see, we are farmers. Still, its gender neutral
Was lacking a decent sig. Still is.
Quote by WCPhils
If someone's feelings get hurt by being called "him" or "her" then he or she should go kill him or herself.

FTFY

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Page 1 of 4