Hey so I'm looking to buy a new guitar. I have a budget of $600 dollars. I have a Gibson SG Standard and a Tele (modded into a plus with dually red and a blue). I play everything from jazz to metal, and I have no clue what to buy. I was looking into semi hollows, gretsches, hagstroms, faded lps, godins, and even a hamer xt. Some of my favorite bands to play are Muse, Led Zeppelin, Radiohead, Tool, QOTSA, RHCP, and Nirvana. I am open to pickup changes.
if it matters my amps are a peavey vypyr 75 and marshall jtm 60 head with a no-name eminence cab.
I only really have proper experience with ESP LTDs, but I'd totally recommend them.
Sounds like you have good gear already. Get a new speaker for your marshall.
Quote by JD Close
Piano dick had some good parts, but should have said "As the business man slowly gets boned", would have accented the whole dick feeling of the album
It's going to be hard to find a guitar that matches that music all over as in the Chilli's they have almost always used Stratocasters. As for Tool, Adam Jones has a Silverburst Les Paul. Radiohead have used a mixture over their careers and Nirvana Jaguars and Mustangs. I would definitely go with a guitar that had at least one humbucker. I don't think a semi-hollow will fit that music 100%.
get a good cab.

you'd be amazed how much a well-selected (that means actually sitting down and listening closely) speaker cab can help your tone. you already have good guitars and a good head (the vypyr wouldn't be my pick), so the weak spot is definitely the cab. it is amazing how big a difference having a properly suited cab makes. thats just my two cents though.

if you are dead-set on a guitar, hagstroms are always decent guitars at that price. I like your idea of a semi, it'll be good for jazz and you already have some solid-bodies. I also like the Richmond (a godin sub-company) dorchester. its a little out of your price range, but its a seriously amazing guitar. its chambered, so its a little "airyer" than a solid, and the pickups make it suitable for most types of rock.
The speaker/cab advice is right on the money if you play genres that need that. If you're using a lot of distortion it might not be an issue.

For the stuff I'm playing I get a good enough tone with any of these scenarios:
- Guitar into GNX4 right into a PA,
- Guitar into GNX4 plugged into JVM 410h w/1960a 4x12 cab
- Guitar into GNX4 plugged into JVM 410h going into the PA w/no cab (on standby, of course)
- Guitar into GNX4 plugged into JVM 410h using a shitty MG30DFX as the cab

Gain and Channel volume dimed on the JVM and Master Volume never going over 3.

By good enough, I mean if you record them equally and play them back blind, it's hard to tell them apart.

It's definitely not worth hauling the halfstack around in a trailer if the house has drums and a PA.

So if you're like me, then you get more mileage off another guitar. Maybe get something with a Floyd Rose. Maybe get a really short scale/small radius guitar like a Mustang or Jaguar.

"Muse"...you're not getting a Manson for $600.

Pup changes probably won't be worth the money.
I feel like... you should get a used fat Strat. You could possibly find a used American Strat in your budget, or else get a used MIM and get some nice pickups for it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X